GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Why doesn't it have an LS1?

j/k :D

The SUV looks great, 3.4L has a good mix of fuel ecomomy and HP (19/25mpg for a V6 w/ AWD).

Rumor as an SS version getting a 270HP 3v 3.9L V6

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Originally posted by Roser@May 16 2004, 09:39 PM

I am not a follower of the history of this engine, but I am sure the problems that existed in the past have been taken care of.
Later
Yes indeed, in the new version of the engine, the 3.5L that the Equinox didn't get but the new Malibu did. ;)

But on a less redundant and repetitive note, I wonder if the China-sourced 3.4L is actually improved or any different from the 3.4L engines sold in the states? I'm assuming it will have a different engine "code", but I wonder if all the parts are interchangeable?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Originally posted by usa1@May 15 2004, 07:04 PM
Nice review. I wish GM would put the newer 3.5L engine in it instead of the old 3.4L.
Given the cost of gasoline, I wish GM would consider a diesel option for the Equinox.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Would this be the same 3400 in the Grand Am GT??

The fact that these GM OHV engines can keep up with the highly technical/imported SOHC & DOHC (with or without variable cam timing) is impressive and shows you how far doing it once and doing it right can take you...

So Honda makes a 300+ HP V-6 or a 200 HP I-4...
WOULD YOU REALLY WANT TO PAY THE PRICE FOR IT?
($80,000 & $32,000)??

I would rather spend the $ for a supercharged OHV V-6 Impala/Grand Prix, and out accelerate the 280 HP V-6 Toyotas or the 240 HP Hondas... ANYDAY.

·
Registered
114 Posts
$32,000?

You can get a nicely equipped RSX Type-S for around $23,000. You're about $9,000 off.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Actually the equinox lags considerably behind the competition. For example just take a look at the kia sorento. It's light years ahead of the equinox and costs less.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Test drove the Equinox and it moves really good for 185-hp.
The OHV design along with the 5-speed probably help when
it would otherwise be lacking. Felt pretty good.

And without an OHC design, there is SO much working space
under the hood. You can actually see the whole engine. :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@May 17 2004, 03:16 PM

But on a less redundant and repetitive note, I wonder if the China-sourced 3.4L is actually improved or any different from the 3.4L engines sold in the states? I'm assuming it will have a different engine "code", but I wonder if all the parts are interchangeable?
It would be crazy for GM to make this 3.4L any different from the domestic one. If Equinox sales explode or there's a problem in the supply from China, I would think GM would want to be able to just ship 3.4L from Tonawanda rather then hold up the line. With sales of GM vans off and the Alero now dead, you would think the NY enigne plant has extra capacity to build engines for the Nox rather then import.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Originally posted by Chops@May 19 2004, 07:00 PM
$32,000?

You can get a nicely equipped RSX Type-S for around $23,000. You're about $9,000 off.
What State do you live in? Urban Area? Dealership incentives.... It all adds up!

"Nicely equipped"? Does that mean 4 tires and an engine? Are you sure the 23K isn't for the base model? I test drove the base, it was over 25K.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Acura RSX Type-S starts at $23,865 MSRP.
But why would someone want to compare a
compact SUV and a 2-door coupe? If this is
a OHV vs OHC comparison, I can get into an
OHV 345-hp V8 for $24K (before rebates).

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by sheithappens@May 19 2004, 09:05 PM
Actually the equinox lags considerably behind the competition. For example just take a look at the kia sorento. It's light years ahead of the equinox and costs less.
The Sorento costs less, gets 4 mpg less, is slower, has less room, and has uncertain build quality (according to C&D). Yes, light years ahead :rolleyes:

Really, it's isn't really even in the same class as the Equinox. It's a body on frame, primarly rear drive vehicle vs. the Equinox unit body/front drive chassis. It is more capable off-road, and costs a bit less, but it doesn't have any other advantages than that over the Equinox. It doesn't even have an advantage in tow ratings.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Originally posted by thehemi@May 20 2004, 06:48 PM
Acura RSX Type-S starts at $23,865 MSRP.
But why would someone want to compare a
compact SUV and a 2-door coupe? If this is
a OHV vs OHC comparison, I can get into an
OHV 345-hp V8 for $24K (before rebates).
This started out as me bragging on GM for using an old setup and still out powering alot of the newer more technologically advanced engines.

My point was if you want the technology you have to pay for it, ie: 2.0L DOHC, variable cams, 16 valves and 100 HP per liter N/A.

Compared to 3.1 OHV, 12 valves, no cam timing or phasing, and a few bolt-ons...

Even though I have 2 extra cylinders and more displacement the advantage should clearly favor the newer (actual sports car) Type S.

I've raced a Type S, (and yes we both knew we were racing). I beat him, not by much, but still won undeniably. So I test drove what I thought was a base model (it was an auto and the type S doesn't come in auto) and wasn't impressed at all.

I'll stick with Chevy, thank you very much!

You can find me in a Cobalt come Fall 04' Let's see what GM can do with newer technology....

I just hope the interior doesn't come in just red.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
The 3400 in the Equinox is, from what I can see a bit different than our 3400's. Just check out the intake manifold and emission system. I started one up recently and found a slightly different note when I revved up the motor. My guess is that this engine has GM's troublesome intake problem solved. I'll bet the rest of the motor is the same though. Comparing Kias' Sorento, I found a nicer interior in the Kia, a noticably quieter engine, performance that was very close to the Chevy and a lower selling price. Add to that Chevy's cheapness in not even offering Cruise control as standard! When you "option" up the Chevy the way you want it it turns out to be pretty pricey too. And those cloth seats are so cheap and harsh feeling! Car and Driver likes that material however so it must be ok! :)

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
This little truck is HOT!!!!

The large Chevrolet dealership near my job seems to be selling them as quickly as they can unload them from the truck!

The 3400 is a good solid engine choice for the Equinox introduction. I would expect to see some more engine options in the future, it would go along with the rest of the Chevrolet line, where most models have a least 2 engine choices, i.e 3.8 or 3.4 for the Impala or the 2.2 and 3.5 in the Malibu.

Heres what I would consider for the Equinox.

Standard-base 2wd/ffwd models-2.4 litre 4 cylinder/170hp=availble with either a 5 speed manual or the CVT automatic from the VUE

Available base/standard in LT models and AWD/ 3.5 V6 with 200hp/5 speed automatic

Standard on SS models/ 3.9 V6

·
Registered
710 Posts
Both Chevy dealerships I checked out have waiting lists
for any/all of the upcoming Equinoxes they have coming.
Only the more highly optioned ones are gathering dust.
Probably because a highly optioned Equinox costs more
than a lower level TrailBlazer these days (big discounts).

·
Registered
960 Posts
Of course you have one hot selling model, but 3 SUV lines are being idled: Trailblazer, Tahoe and Suburban. Vega's sold like hotcakes in '73 durring the oil embargo, but they were still a piece of crap. Probably most big SUV leases comming due are all looking to roll into a smaller SUV and the Equinox and Vue are GM's only options. Oil topped $42/barrel on Tuesday. It's only gonna get worse. One terrorist attack on Saudi facilities and oil will be over $60/barrel.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts