GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by Ming+Apr 12 2004, 04:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ming @ Apr 12 2004, 04:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Equinox@Apr 11 2004, 11:20 PM
In the future a rumoured 3.9L for the Pontiac version of the Equinox...  ;)
Now THAT I could do. :D

I just hope they can keep a 5-speed auto. That might be a bit much for the Aisin tranny, and I'm tired of GM's 4-speed answers to everything. [/b][/quote]
The 3.9 will be in the Equinox SS and the GT version of the Pontiac, and they will use the new 6-speed Hydramatic.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Originally posted by Rabbit@Apr 14 2004, 03:02 AM
What's wrong with rear drums?
Fancy feature for glossies that people think they need.
On a BMW or Corvette, absolutely, but on SUVs? Nah.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Originally posted by MelvinJ@Apr 14 2004, 01:57 PM
The 3.9 will be in the Equinox SS and the GT version of the Pontiac, and they will use the new 6-speed Hydramatic.
Is there any timeframe on an Equinox SS release?
Although I hate brand new engines and trannies...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I disagree with you on the four speed vs 5 speed autos. I own a 2004 lincoln avaitor with a 5 speed and what a difference from my old 96 explorer. The five speed is better in every way, any new car I purchase will have to have a 5 or 6 speed in it. I went and looked at the nox and wow I am impressed, I was impressed with the interior and the back and the fit and finish of the truck, it is truely a home run for chev. The salesman came out and asked me how I liked it and I can say that if I was in the market for a smaller suv it would be on top of the list. What I was thinking was why wouldn't gm think about putting in the inline 4 or five in this suv, give it a little more bang for the buck. I have driven a 3.4l in a impala and it was under powered but just enough but maybe in the nox it's ook with this new 5 speed, with a lower first gear.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by LINCSAT@Apr 14 2004, 09:11 PM
I disagree with you on the four speed vs 5 speed autos. I own a 2004 lincoln avaitor with a 5 speed and what a difference from my old 96 explorer. The five speed is better in every way, any new car I purchase will have to have a 5 or 6 speed in it. I went and looked at the nox and wow I am impressed, I was impressed with the interior and the back and the fit and finish of the truck, it is truely a home run for chev. The salesman came out and asked me how I liked it and I can say that if I was in the market for a smaller suv it would be on top of the list. What I was thinking was why wouldn't gm think about putting in the inline 4 or five in this suv, give it a little more bang for the buck. I have driven a 3.4l in a impala and it was under powered but just enough but maybe in the nox it's ook with this new 5 speed, with a lower first gear.
But you're also comparing an older vehicle...consider refinements in 4 speeds since that time... 8 years allows a lot of refining... I'd hope an 04 Aviator is better than a 96 Explorer, besides the 8 years, Aviator is also in a different market (luxury/near lux).

I do see it as an evolution... remember 3 speed autos? :lol: Honestly though, for most consumers and in everyday driving I'd say it wouldn't make a huge difference.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by thehemi+Apr 14 2004, 09:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (thehemi @ Apr 14 2004, 09:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MelvinJ@Apr 14 2004, 01:57 PM
Is there any timeframe on an Equinox SS release?
Although I hate brand new engines and trannies... [/b][/quote]
Unfortunately, it sounds like it won't be until 2007 MY.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I know the Equinox is different from the Aztek and the Rendezvous, but I'm not exactly sure how. Can someone explain the differences to me a little better? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Originally posted by AmericanREV@Apr 15 2004, 04:48 PM
I know the Equinox is different from the Aztek and the Rendezvous, but I'm not exactly sure how. Can someone explain the differences to me a little better? Thanks.
The Equinox is on the same platform as the Saturn VUE - a new-ish platform.

The Rendezvous and Aztek are off of a platform that is essentially modified from GM's current minivan lineup (Venture, Montana, etc.), if memory serves.

Interesting to note that the new "CSVs", modified versions of the current minivans and the Malibu MAXX wagon-ute will utilize the new 3.5L that is in the 2004 Malibu, while Equinox is stuck with the older 3.4L that the current Minivans, Aztek, and Rendezvous use.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks, Ming. My brother just bought the Equinox and my neighbor has a Vue. I know they were built on the same frame, I just coouldn't believe it. It seems like the Vue has greater ground clearence, but I went to a quick compare and as far a dimensions go, they are pretty much the same. Thanks for settling that for me.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The dimensions might "look" pretty much the same but they're not, when you compare the Equinox' size to the Vue, overall the 'Nox is 7 inches longer, it's wheelbase is also 6 inches longer.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Apr 15 2004, 10:13 PM
Interesting to note that the new "CSVs", modified versions of the current minivans and the Malibu MAXX wagon-ute will utilize the new 3.5L that is in the 2004 Malibu, while Equinox is stuck with the older 3.4L that the current Minivans, Aztek, and Rendezvous use.
The Rendezvous will get the 3.5 for 2005, just like the CSVs.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
The Exuinox would be an awesome vehicle with a few minor detail changes, for example painting the black bumpers on the base model, I mean, how much does it cost GM to do that? Also, It should've been built in the United States with American parts, not a Chinese engine, Japanese transmission, and everything else from everywhere else. Just like the Aveo, Just a rebadged Daewoo, why the hell don't they just sell it as a damn Daewoo? That's what's pissing me off about GM lately, they're outsourcing everything instead of helping the US economy by building more cars and parts here. If they put 85% or more US parts content in their cars and advertised it, they could make up for the cost.

Andrew

·
Registered
275 Posts
well its not a daewoo...its built on the same platform as the vibe. there isnt any other car that i know of on that platform...and the engine and trans are just 2 things. dont get all worked up about the nox...its pretty darn american.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
outsourcing is smart: GM makes more $$ out of this while paying peanuts...

just enjoy the product if you like it! ;)

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by rodd62@Apr 20 2004, 06:16 AM
well its not a daewoo...its built on the same platform as the vibe. there isnt any other car that i know of on that platform...and the engine and trans are just 2 things. dont get all worked up about the nox...its pretty darn american.
Actually, the Equinox shares it's platform with the Vue, not the Vibe - the Theta platform. The Vibe is a Toyota platform, which is shares with the Toyota Matrix, and to a lesser extent, the Corolla.

The content label on the Equinox states that 55% of it's components are sourced in the US/Canada, and of course, it's assembled in Canada.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Originally posted by johnd89@Apr 20 2004, 06:31 AM

Ok? So as long as GM execs make more money and US workers have no work and the President gets the bame when it's the American companies that are all outsourcing I should just be a happy robot? Nah, I'll just stick to buying vehicles assembled in the US, less and less of which GM offers. There's a little sense of pride in it.

An "American Revolution" indeed. :flush:

Andrew
1984 Chevrolet Cavalier Convertible F-41 - 340,000mi.
1994 Chevrolet Suburban - 231,000mi.
2000 GMC Sonoma ZQ8
2001 Pontiac G/A SE
All Made In The United States :pride:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by johnd89@Apr 20 2004, 02:31 AM

:eek: What?

Ok, have every company in the US outsource every job. Oh look, it saves the consumer money... oh wait, there are no consumers anymore since nobody has a job! :lol:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I've just exposed their point of view. Since when a business owner cares about anytheing else than his pocket?
Also, what if all the cars assembled in the us are not what you may like? You would still buy one?
Life is to short to bother with all those things: you can't change the world- just buy what you want and be happy with it.
You are patriotic by living there, paying all those taxes and spending all your earning there: what more do you want to do?

41 - 60 of 77 Posts