GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here is the review everyone has been waiting for...

As pretty much everyone knows, I am the proud owner of a 2008 Corvette (See http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f48/duspinnsts-corvette-63593/ if you are not!;)). I've put on about 400 or so miles in the first 4 days of ownership and I've formed some opinions so here they are.

Performance:

The Corvette is FAST, and I mean F A S T.... Seriously, you hit the pedal and the car GOES. GM has hit this right on the head, as many magazine reviews have said the steering is improved for 2008, not that I've tooled around in previous Corvettes, but I can 100% agree with this. The steering does what you want it to do when you want it to do it. My only complaint with the performance is the exhaust note, I do wish it was a touch louder, but I didn't get NPP because I am going to swap out the system next year for something a little "louder." Regardless the performance aspect gets an excellent.

Comfort:

The 4LT interior is to die for. The seats have electronic lumbar, electronic side bolsters and 6-way power, the only complaint I have is the manual back (what gives?). The seats fit me like a glove, I never feel like I am going to slide out of them. The tilt feature of the wheel is a bit odd (manual as well), but the electronic telescoping is great. I can get the in just the right spot. Controls are all within easy reach of the seat, even when it is all the way back. The interior also gets an excellent rating.

Utility:

Corvettes are not known for their utility, but to tell you the truth I feel that I have as much usable space in the back as I did with my Saab. I was pleasantly surprised at the spaciousness of the cargo area, and I do like the small cubbies on each side of the area in the back. My only complaint is the lack of depth in the center console, I understand the driveline is under there, but an extra 1/2 inch to an inch would do wonders for space. I'd say utility is good.

Electronics/Interior:

I got the Navigation system in my Corvette, and I love the radio aspect of it. The touchscreen is nice, and everything is easy to read. My only complaint is the antiquated looking navigation screens, I understand this system is from 2005, but GM needs to do something here before the C7 hits the streets early next decade. The HVAC system, and heated seat controls I love, the chrome ring on the temp dials are a nice touch. The leather wrapped interior with the new faux carbon trim panel are a touch of luxury that the Corvette was sorely missing in previous years. Bluetooth in 2009 pretty much shores up the last glaring weak point in this department. Excellent job GM.

Overall:

The Corvette proves what GM can do when they really try, it is truly a world class sports car with many of the comforts of a luxury car for a bargain price. If you can ever afford to get a Corvette, I suggest you do it. Wonderful to own.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
agree with most except the fact that although LT4 has 'to die for' materials and whatnot. the DESIGN of the interior is functional yet underwhelming JMO especially when compared with the style and design of CTS (and to lesser extent Malibu). Its better than a Viper, probably on par with porsche. Could be improved, that, MPG increase and better handling feedback/shifter feel "Snick Snick" would be my areas to improve Corvette in C7 form (and a less poke-y nose front clip).

CobaltSS

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
agree with most except the fact that although LT4 has 'to die for' materials and whatnot. the DESIGN of the interior is functional yet underwhelming JMO especially when compared with the style and design of CTS (and to lesser extent Malibu). Its better than a Viper, probably on par with porsche. Could be improved, that, MPG increase and better handling feedback/shifter feel "Snick Snick" would be my areas to improve Corvette in C7 form (and a less poke-y nose front clip).

CobaltSS
Sit in the 2008's, especially the 4LT you will be singing a different tune.

I was a VERY harsh critic of the 2005-2007 interior. Shifter was improved already in 2008 (shifts like butter IMHO). MPG's are great, 430 HP and you get 17-18 MPG in the city and almost 30 MPG on the Highway.

Seriously Cobalt you have a little bit of Corvette hate in you.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
36,083 Posts

CobaltSS
Cobalt has been turning somewhat critical of GM lately. I have a friend who works at a chevy dealership. I can tell you, the stiching on the Vette is really neat.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

I was a VERY harsh critic of the 2005-2007 interior. Shifter was improved already in 2008 (shifts like butter IMHO). MPG's are great, 430 HP and you get 17-18 MPG in the city and almost 30 MPG on the Highway.

its just because he cant afford one yet, and can only dream of getting a cobalt ss, i feel his pain. You are a lucky man duspinnst, one day i hope to buy one too.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts

Not a chance:) I love the Corvette and once I complete MY masters (like you just did yours) I plan on obtaining and owning one (a 1 or 2LT not a 4LT or Z06). I love Corvette, always have. Always will.

I've driven numerous C5's and the last C6 I drove was about a year ago (an 05/06 in Blue with the LS2) and though I was *VERY* impressed with the power, the interior is a letdown for a 50 to (now) 100,000 dollar vehicle RELATIVE to the competition. I will have to examine the LT4 interior closely as it may be exempt in terms of materials, but I stand by my conclusion that the DESIGN of the interior in the Gen 6 Corvette is merely acceptable, not very good nor World Class. *THAT* is probably the "Hate" you sense. I *EXPECT* Corvette to be *WORLD CLASS* in *ALL* areas a Premium Sports Car should be (including Interior). I know the car can be better than it currently is (though Objectively it IS amazing, so please don't take it personally as an attack ((Its NOT)) ).

911 '08 Interior:

Cayman

Audi R8

Since GM has neutered XLR and shafted it by keeping Corvette as 'the standard' I believe the Vette still has room to refine, grow, and improve.

It Does have GTR and Viper beat though...

:barf:

I have come to appreciate GM for what it is and what it is not. I have come to appreciate other companies and when they raise the bar. I recognize GM's strengths and their weaknesses (not fully and comprehensively, but to the best extent I can) and am learning to articulate that on GMI more so. I *PRIDE* myself on looking at things from both opposing perspectives and being objective and an analytical and critical thinker that can bring divides together and work towards a collaborating solution. I try to apply that in all facets of my life from school to the hospital to GMI to my friends and relationships to my religion. Everything.

GM has room to improve and I have identified areas for improvement just as many of you have. Though I have a desire for the Cobalt SS, about 5-8 months back I have posted in many threads my 10-15 point ways to improve the Cobalt (much less the Cobalt SS). I will not have rosy colored glasses on, I will look at things objectively. I currently do. As a matter of fact, I might drive my bro's LS Cobalt modded for the school year while he gets a S/C Used ION RL or Cobalt SS...how ironic would that be:confused:

I am VERY happy for you Duspinnist, did NOT mean to hijack your thread, sorry. Enjoy your car (as you should) and when I get my LNF Cobalt SS, we will definitely need to meet up and take some pics.

CobaltSS

·
Registered
547 Posts
Not a chance:) I love the Corvette and once I complete MY masters (like you just did yours) I plan on obtaining and owning one (a 1 or 2LT not a 4LT or Z06). I love Corvette, always have. Always will.

CobaltSS
Not to pass judgement but it's pretty easy to afford a Corvette, Cobat SS Turbo, or pretty much any GM car if you choose to live at home and don't have a wife/family. Personally I would have invensted that kind of money on a new home, especially now in this market. I was driving top end GM cars while living with the folks until I decided to build a new house of my own. I was driving a brand new 96 Trans Am in college and then kept it and PEP'd a 98 Bravada when I graduated and got a job; and lived at home with two vehicles. I almost felt guilty spending the money on two cars when I should have been on my own if I had the money to spend on cars. I remember working with old school GM engineers who got on my crap for having two cars totalling about 50K and being single and living at home. At first I was thinking it's none of their business but now 10 years later and wiser I look back at that advice and they were completely right. I looked like a spoiled brat, fresh out of college, know it all, kid. I mean I was making good money and was wasting it at high end places like 220 in Birmingham and visiting friends in Chicago twice a month, and two vehicles, while living at home? I probably forced my folks to keep a 5 bedroom house they did not need way longer than they needed to. I still am an automotive freak but it's taken a back seat to a house and fiancee, and investments. That's just my opinion so don't take it personal. It's your money...do what you want with it. I have a great relationship with my folks but by 24-25 years old wanted my space. I had college loans to pay off as well so I know about those. Now I have my MBA which the company paid for. I suppose my advice (take it for what it's worth) is to get the bachelor's, move out, work a while, and get the MBA. You almost have to have a MBA as a minimum now in the automotive sector. It's just weird for me...cars don't excite me as much as they used to. I attribute it to working at Milford from 96-05 and just being around cars every day. To each his own....the Vette could hold it's value if you keep it and only use it in the summer. Nice car though.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
More utitlity or space than the Saab? Than you must of never packed up the Saab. I'm sure with the seats folded flat, its more space than the entire interior volume of the Corvette.

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More utitlity or space than the Saab? Than you must of never packed up the Saab. I'm sure with the seats folded flat, its more space than the entire interior volume of the Corvette.
Nope. The Saab opening from between the Trunk to the Back Seat was worthlessly small.

Unless you stacked things to the ceiling in the back seat (which I don't do) the space is about the same.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Nice vette for sure, and i agree on the quiet exhaust part. If you do decide to upgrade it, I'd be curious what brand/model exhuast you'd choose. I always hear good things about flowmaster, though.

·
Registered
13,173 Posts
make sure you take a test drive at a local corvette show if you can....or a buddy takes you for a spin with the exhaust you like..

Other than GHL or Corsa you want to be aware of droning of some types of exhausts..

Corsa touring might be something to consider.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Hi DuSpinnst,

Congratulations on your Corvette. And I have reviewed the leather wrapped interior and it is world class. I reviewed the Corvette along with Porsche 911 and they both rank my top two performance sports cars with the Corvette in my number #1 position over the 911.

Again congrats...

JLM

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.