GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chevy Corvette Electric Sedan Coming 2025, Corvette SUV To Follow: Report (msn.com)
Angel Sergeev
August 3, 2022

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

As the automotive industry transitions towards battery-powered personal mobility, at least a few legendary models will switch to zero-emissions powertrains in their future generations. For America, the Dodge Challenger and Charger are likely two of the most iconic models expected to become fully electric and it seems that even the Chevrolet Corvette won’t escape the inevitable electrification. The current C8 generation will get hybrid versions but its successor will most likely switch to a battery-fed powertrain.

But this is not even the most interesting part of Chevy’s electrification strategy, if we are to believe new reports. There are tons of rumors circulating the web and we are touching on every topic with huge cautiousness, though Muscle Cars and Trucks reports General Motors is working on an electric performance sedan, which is supposed to receive a Corvette badge. Expected to arrive at Chevy’s showrooms by the middle of the decade, the zero-emissions sedan is expected to be launched as a direct competitor for the Porsche Taycan and elevate the brand into new territories.

Probably taking inspiration from Ford and the Mustang-branded electric SUV it currently sells, Chevrolet also has plans for a Corvette-badged electric utility. The details surrounding it are scarce, though it will likely be launched after the market release of the electric Corvette sedan. MC&T speculates it could be based on the platform of the Cadillac Celestiq flagship electric sedan.

More at link

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rumors are getting stronger.

I know some are strongly against this, but I think it's a great idea. The Corvette as a brand is one of GM's strongest, they need to leverage it to do more with it. Plus, I suspect we will see sports vehicles start to decline in volume as electrics take over as many people will say what's the point of getting an expensive, two seat vehicle just to go a little faster than a 9,000 Hummer that seats six? Yes, I do understand that sports cars are a lot more than just 0-60, but that's why a lot of people buy them - they never explore the top end or limits of handling. To save the Corvette as a brand I think GM needs to branch out to sedans and SUV/CUV. Similar to what Porsche did as they faced declining 911 sales - they branched out.

And as far as the "Corvette is a car, not a brand" argument - things change, move on.

I think it's pretty exciting to get more Corvette level vehicles out there!

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I can dig it. I think MonaroSS created a couple of designs of a sedan a few years back.
I kept Monaro's rendering as it was based off my personal 2014 Corvette sitting next to my Dad's 1962.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Edit: I guess I should also show the original photo:
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I kept Monaro's rendering as it was based off my personal 2014 Corvette sitting next to my Dad's 1962.

View attachment 66963
This was a Corvette based Malibu rendering, I too really loved it. I think GM can make a newer version Malibu Ev with an update to this design.

I really miss him in the forum ( i still remeber he came up with some Cadillac designs with fin tail lights and they looked awesome , With the EV design turns , he is missed so heavely ).

·
Registered
2,283 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
A Corvette-badged minivan can’t be too far behind..............
It take it that you are only slightly more enthusiastic about expanding the Corvette brand beyond sports cars than I am. I have no issue with offering a sports sedan based on the EV Corvette. However, I think that giving it a Corvette badge is a bad idea. A lot of people seem to think that if Porsche can expand beyond two-seat sports cars, then so too can Corvette.

I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that these people think that Porsche is a sports car company that also sells premium SUVs. They are wrong. Porsche is a premium SUV company that that also sells two-seat sports cars. At least, Porsche sells two-seat sports cars if your believe the company website. However, my lived experience tells me not to be so sure. I see five-seat Porsches often. In fact, I saw two today. However, I have no recollection of having seen a Porsche sports car in years.

That said, I can understand why Porsche did what it did. If Porsche continued to offer only sports cars in a market in which they are ever less popular, then Porsche as a brand would have died. Corvette is not in this situation. Corvette is part of Chevrolet, the dominant brand in the stable of America's largest automobile manufacturer. The Corvette sports car is expensive as a vehicle, but it is downright cheap in the pantheon of sports cars. A Corvette sports sedan built to the standards of the C8 or its successor would be priced as much ore more than the C8 two-seat sports car. At this price, it would cost more than most Cadillac sedans. Chevrolet sedans are not supposed to sell at a premium over Cadillac sedans.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I don't care what they name it. That's just marketing. I only care about the CAR. A performance sedan? I can dig that.
I respectfully disagree. The perfect name can definitely make an auto. The Camaro is thankfully being taken off life support and a four door performance sedan will be coming out to supersede it. What better time for a new name that fondly acknowledges the Camaro yet recalls the famous Chevelle? Introducing the new Camelle!

Not sure what syllable to emphasise but people will figure it out. I've already copyrighted the name and am eagerly waiting for GM to make me an offer.

·
Registered
22,419 Posts
"My eyes, my eyes".... 😖

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
There had been rumors that the ev sedan would be called Impala.

Also, if Lamborghini can do a SUV, then why not a Corvette.
I do agree that their marketing (for a performance EV sedan) would probably be better served as an "Impala". But Corvette or Impala, I don't care, as long as I get the car.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
To save the Corvette as a brand...
And as far as the "Corvette is a car, not a brand" argument - things change, move on.
You can state a non-fact is a fact all you like, but the fact doesn't care.

Talk about 'moving on'.

And what black hole did you pull 'the Corvette needs saving' out of?
Lamborghini can do a SUV, then why not a Corvette.
Chevrolet does plenty of SUVs.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts