GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a thread I was reading earlier someone mentioned a "Cheyenne 400SS", I never heard of it so I Googled it, and got very few pics, and everything in spanish. What is a Cheyenne 400SS, what engine do they have? The only thing I came up with is that they are regular cab with stepside beds. I am curious about this truck, and why I have never heard of it.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
A Cheyenne 400 is a Silverado with stepside beds an regular cab. With the 5300. Nothing more, nothing less. It's just a marketing label here in Mexico, it's not a real SS.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
If it was in spanish it was probably a Mexican verison of our 454SS. Down here in S Texas I see all kinds of weird vehicles. The other day I saw a regular cab stepside 2500 silverado ss with Mexican plates on it. It was a 1/2 ton, but had the 2500 on the door where we have them, and a GMC grill with a chevy emblem stuck in the middle. Where it would say Z-71 or 4x4 it said SS. :think:

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
gerardo_zg said:
A Cheyenne 400 is a Silverado with stepside beds an regular cab. With the 5300. Nothing more, nothing less. It's just a marketing label here in Mexico, it's not a real SS.
Oh so its a newish truck, I was thinking 90's because of the Cheyenne.

·
Registered
37 Posts
shadams said:
If it was in spanish it was probably a Mexican verison of our 454SS. Down here in S Texas I see all kinds of weird vehicles. The other day I saw a regular cab stepside 2500 silverado ss with Mexican plates on it. It was a 1/2 ton, but had the 2500 on the door where we have them, and a GMC grill with a chevy emblem stuck in the middle. Where it would say Z-71 or 4x4 it said SS. :think:
Believe it or not we build them at our Fort Wayne Indiana plant. Crazy!!!
They have some of there own special parts, like there own leaf springs, the interiors are very plain, and very few have A/C, I would think they would like A/C. We run them sprinkled right in with the regular trucks. No they don't have 454's or anything to make them SS special. Just a sticker.
</IMG>

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
shadams said:
Oh so its a newish truck, I was thinking 90's because of the Cheyenne.
Yes, SS454 was a hit here so when GMT800 came, GM de México decided to produce a cheap ass SS.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Zig said:
They have some of there own special parts, like there own leaf springs, the interiors are very plain, and very few have A/C, I would think they would like A/C. We run them sprinkled right in with the regular trucks. No they don't have 454's or anything to make them SS special. Just a sticker.
</IMG>
Ohhhh, I see. So you guys just throw random left over emblems on for fun. Ok, I get it now.

Anyway I would have never thought they were built in the good ol' US of A.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
C/K Man said:
The Mexicans still build the '90-'02 GMT-530 Kodiak and the '91-'02 GMT-400 3500HD Cab and Chassis down there.
As new models? So you could go down there and pick up a new old truck?

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Interesting..did not know the name Cheyenne was still around. Asfar as the SS454..what a dog..there was nothing sport about that thing other then it was a 2door ha..had decent torque tho..but I felt more get-up-n-go outta our 93' 6cyl. 4x4 W/T manual trans. Cheyenne then I did out of the 454SS.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Zig said:
They are made at the Fort Wayne, thats weird, built just a few miles away and I've never heard of them. They looked kind of plain in the pics, with exception of the "400SS" sticker. if it just has the standard 5300 then whats with the "400SS", what does 400 have to do with it. Does 290hp in english translate to 400hp in spanish:D just joking!

·
Registered
495 Posts
shadams said:
Cheyenne and Silverados olds ones have the GMC front in mexico

·
Registered
1 Posts
Who Ever The Idiot Saying That A Chevy Truck 400ss Is Only A 5300 Does Not Know Their **************** At All. I Am An Owner Of A 400ss That I Purchased In Mexicali, Mexico, And It Came With A 6.0l Engine, Yup Just Like The Silverado Ss In The Us. I Guess Mexico Is Just A Step Ahead In Their Reg Cab Chevy Trucks. And My Trucks Got Juice!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
cheyenne24z said:
Who Ever The Idiot Saying That A Chevy Truck 400ss Is Only A 5300 Does Not Know Their **************** At All. I Am An Owner Of A 400ss That I Purchased In Mexicali, Mexico, And It Came With A 6.0l Engine, Yup Just Like The Silverado Ss In The Us. I Guess Mexico Is Just A Step Ahead In Their Reg Cab Chevy Trucks. And My Trucks Got Juice!!!!!!
Yeah, either that or there is less red tape and all that bs. I'm gonna go with the latter.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
cheyenne24z said:
WHAT!! Ahh thats crap....a RC with a 6.0 would be sweet. I wonder if it can be bought there/registered here. But a Silverado SS is AWD and has a bunch of goodies on it.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Nailhead425's dream vehicle de Mexico...

http://www.chevrolet.com.mx/content.../vehiculos/silverado3500/images/interior1.jpg

Yes, you can get a manual transmissions on the Mexican Silverado - which is the "work truck" stripper. The Cheyenne is like an LTZ as it appears to have standard leather upholstery and alloy wheels.

Also appears you cannot get a long bed. Reg cab is 6.5 ft only. Only the 3500 has a longer wheelbase, and it only comes as a reg cab chassis cab (optional utility bodies, no pickup box available) with dually wheels.

Interesting bright purple and green paint available too.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Five speed manual is available on both half ton and one ton. It appears they just skip the 3/4 ton. There's a '2500' but it looks like a half ton with no 'full floating' rear axle and the regular six lugs.

Mexican Silvy is really stripped bare without AC or even an AM radio. Maybe you could get that stuff though. There isn't much of a middle ground, since the Cheyenne is pretty much loaded.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.