GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1997 Chevy Venture is dying and I'm thinking getting a more fuel efficient vehicule.

I did some search on the web but could not find a real review of that new lil' car.

Anyone can comment?

BTW, if you are from the north across the border like me, you can comment on the 2009 Pontiac G3 wave too. I do think that the Pontiac offering is even cuttier than the Chevy one.

Ok, now it's your turn to do the talking...

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I've driven an older Aveo, and the pickup from a stoplight is somewhat sluggish, but the interior feels bigger than you'd expect, and with the rear seats folded it can hold some boxes of cargo in a pinch. The interior design has gone from good to great over the past 4-5 years.

I prefer the classier looks of the sedan, however, and while it has slightly less room for cargo because of the trunk, it has a little more rear legroom, if memory serves.

The sedan should get the same improved fuel economy of the refreshed Aveo5 for 2009.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow... That was fast for a reply! Thanks!

I like the look of the Pontiac G3

And I really want a 5 doors car. I already have a bigger sedan in my driveway so, if I go with an econo box, I want the practical side of the 5th door.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I understand, I like wagons myself.

While the G3 certainly has a better grille, the Aveo5 will look a lot better with a license plate on the front as the grille won't look so oversized with a plate over the bottom half of it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
This is where I would have to disagree slightly. My opinion on purchasing American is that one should do so if they are competitive in the segment. The 'Aveo', while not completely outclassed by the Fit, Versa, and (less so) the Yaris, is definitely below them in my opinion. Based on price, engine performance, and comfort, I would go with the Versa Hatchback. I was pleasantly surprised by the interior quality.

Therefore, if you are willing to purchase non-American, my money is on the Versa until the new Fit and Fiesta arrive.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Hhr?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HHR is nice and would be a good solution but my wife doesn't like it at all... So I do have to forget it...

Anyway, I may change my mind. There is a Chevy dealer near my work, and I took a few minutes on lunch time to visit it.

They had no new 2009 Aveo5 in the showroom but they are right now having a clearance on the Uplander 2008...

For just a lil' bit more than a loaded Aveo5, I get a 7 seaters, A/C, electrical windows, remote for lock/unlocking doors, CD+Mp3 aux input... OK, it drinks more fuel but I can go to the hardware store and bring back a few more things with the minivan... And as I already have one, I'm used to that type of vehicule. Even the insurance, is the same for the van or an econobox...

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
About a week ago I went up to my local Pontiac dealer to pick up some GM fuel injector cleaner for my car and they had a contest where if you test drove the new 2009 Pontiac G3 Wave you would automatically be entered to win it. So I decided to take it out and I was actually quite impressed.

For a small car it is quite roomy inside and the interior is put together quite well. The new 1.6L ECOTEC with the 4-Speed Auto has decent pep and is pretty smooth but if I was getting one I'd get the 5-Speed Manual to get the best performance out of it. In fact, I was so impressed with how it drove I thought that it drove better than the new Ford Focus I had recently test driven. I haven't driven any of its competitors so I couldn't say how well it stacked up against them, however I think for what it offers for the price, the G3/Aveo is a good value and a solid little car.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
This is where I would have to disagree slightly. My opinion on purchasing American is that one should do so if they are competitive in the segment. The 'Aveo', while not completely outclassed by the Fit, Versa, and (less so) the Yaris, is definitely below them in my opinion. Based on price, engine performance, and comfort, I would go with the Versa Hatchback. I was pleasantly surprised by the interior quality.

Therefore, if you are willing to purchase non-American, my money is on the Versa until the new Fit and Fiesta arrive.
Are you kidding about the Versa interior quality? It was without a doubt the worst rental penalty box I have suffered through this past year. It was a stripped model with roll up windows and no-cruise. It might have well been my 1990 Mitsubishi Mirage hatch. Not a bad car for 1990.

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
Are you kidding about the Versa interior quality? It was without a doubt the worst rental penalty box I have suffered through this past year. It was a stripped model with roll up windows and no-cruise. It might have well been my 1990 Mitsubishi Mirage hatch. Not a bad car for 1990.
Haven't you heard? Roll-up winders is the next big fad. So very green.

Watch for the goonie birds at the Hollywood Lookee-Me awards festivities/debauchery to be rolling their winders down and up.
Up and down.
Down and up. :cool:

Remember, you sore it here frist. Bill frist.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Actually I've heard a lot of good things about the Versa's interior, but I must admit I've never actually been in one. But I think it looks pretty decent and the 6-spd would make it fun to drive. And to be fair, I would actually prefer roll-up windows at a price discount, they'll never go bad and they don't take much muscle to use :)

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I sat in a Versa at the auto show and was very impressed with the interior. It was roomy and the gauges were great. I hated the exterior.

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
Haven't you heard? Roll-up winders is the next big fad. So very green.

Watch for the goonie birds at the Hollywood Lookee-Me awards festivities/debauchery to be rolling their winders down and up.
Up and down.
Down and up. :cool:

Remember, you sore it here frist. Bill frist.
My Vectra has manual winders and it does make a big difference. My calculations (based on 4 up/down evolutions per day) put it at 5.2 yards/gallon and you should see my right biceps. Go on laugh now. Hah!

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
My Vectra has manual winders and it does make a big difference. My calculations (based on 4 up/down evolutions per day) put it at 5.2 yards/gallon and you should see my right biceps. Go on laugh now. Hah!
:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think youse've hit on a solution to Amurrica's lardass problem! :yup:

Now all we need is wind-up radios, wind-up air conditioners, wind up rearview mirrors, wind-up automatic trannies...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts