GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has there been any problems reported with this motor? Its in a 2002 1500 Express Chevy Conversion Van with less than 20,000 on it! Its at the Dealer now being trouble shooted. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I have heard about problems with fuel pumps or the fuel delivery system on Express vans around that model year, but nothing specific on that engine. That's pretty low miles for a 2002!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Miss fire on only 1 cylinder or more? 1 is more than likely just a coil, anyways no common missing problems on 2002 5.3Ls that I have heard about.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, there is a common problem. There is even a bulletin out on it, 5300 misfire, high rpm or heavy load. Cylinder heads need reworked as the valves are sticking slightly open at times! We have fixed quite a few doing this and some with low miles!

·
Registered
2 Posts
raflyer said:
Yes, there is a common problem. There is even a bulletin out on it, 5300 misfire, high rpm or heavy load. Cylinder heads need reworked as the valves are sticking slightly open at times! We have fixed quite a few doing this and some with low miles!
I was getting similar issue but seem to go away after closing gas cap tight. However van won't start now after siting a few weeks. Weather has been damp. Any reason to beleive it will start as it drys up so that it could be driven to service station verses tow?

I'm mechanical but not familar with van engine access. Is it a pain to get to coil and fuel filter or is there an interior engine cover that is easy to remove?

Is this cyl head job expensive? Who should I take this too? Deal only?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Are you sure it's a 5300? I'm quite sure the 2002 Express wasn't available with the 5300. It should have the Gen I 5700 instead. The Gen III engines didn't make their way into Express/Savanas until 2003. Or is it a 2003 instead?

Sonoma and T-Type: Could you verify this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
MelvinJ said:
Are you sure it's a 5300? I'm quite sure the 2002 Express wasn't available with the 5300. It should have the Gen I 5700 instead. The Gen III engines didn't make their way into Express/Savanas until 2003. Or is it a 2003 instead?

Sonoma and T-Type: Could you verify this?
:) Melvin,

You are right, it is a 5700. Is there any thing I can check for the vehicle not starting? It turns over but won't start. It has low miles 47K.

If I try the coil, how do I get to it? Inside cover?

Thanks,

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts