GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Has anyone heard what type of front drive axle is in the k6500hd ?

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
This was leaked after Ford released the 7.3L Godzilla pushrod engine for the 250/350 etc.
Not likely GM will take a back seat to Ford.

Interesting! The sketchy rumors I have heard so far say the 8+L engine would be for medium duty trucks, not pickups.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Interesting! The sketchy rumors I have heard so far say the 8+L engine would be for medium duty trucks, not pickups.
Agree.

If GM does offer a larger than 6.6L for HD/Medium Duty trucks, would think it would be closer to 7.4L than over 8.0L and may not even need that if Gas/Hybrids start to become popular in HD/Medium Duty to replace Turbo-Diesels.

Strong Gas/Hybrids can run as EV's in urban areas and fall back on their Gas ICE for range and extra power along with job site Electric Power Generation and Ford is already heading in that direction and many will follow since few Commercial Fleets are going to risk Range issues with EV Trucks and too large of a Gas Engine will use more fuel than needed in a Strong Hybrid system, even the 6.6L may prove adequate for most users in a Strong Gas/Hybrid.

GM could also add a S/C, Turbo or Twin Turbos to the 6.6L for more power and use in a Strong Gas/Hybrid and could use the new 3.0L I-6 Turbo-Diesel for a Strong Diesel/Hybrid system for HD/Medium Duty to replace larger Turbo-Diesels.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thankfully GM does not have the final decision here. The 6.6 gasser is for light duty use only (2500/3500). The 8.0L+ gasser will be the minimum to meet themedium duty needs.

The 8.8L that PSI uses would be ideal.

https://www.psiengines.com/whatwedo/on-highway-engines/

It wont be a light duty mall cruiser engine like a GTDI or tiny diesel.

Agree.

If GM does offer a larger than 6.6L for HD/Medium Duty trucks, would think it would be closer to 7.4L than over 8.0L and may not even need that if Gas/Hybrids start to become popular in HD/Medium Duty to replace Turbo-Diesels.

Strong Gas/Hybrids can run as EV's in urban areas and fall back on their Gas ICE for range and extra power along with job site Electric Power Generation and Ford is already heading in that direction and many will follow since few Commercial Fleets are going to risk Range issues with EV Trucks and too large of a Gas Engine will use more fuel than needed in a Strong Hybrid system, even the 6.6L may prove adequate for most users in a Strong Gas/Hybrid.

GM could also add a S/C, Turbo or Twin Turbos to the 6.6L for more power and use in a Strong Gas/Hybrid and could use the new 3.0L I-6 Turbo-Diesel for a Strong Diesel/Hybrid system for HD/Medium Duty to replace larger Turbo-Diesels.

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
Agree.

IMHO a LOT of the interest in "spark ignition" engines is OVER MAX UPTIME for example SCHOOL BUSSES where a breakdown is WORSE then the fuel cost so BIG and simple IS THE name of the game and the ROUSH V10 / PSI BIG BLOCK are port injection engines

Ambulance services are also buying into the spark ignition engines away from turbo diesel units - one dead patient because a diesel derated over a DEF issue and the lawsuits buys a LOT OF PETROL !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Very true, but I can't believe Roush invested in converting the Ford V-10, an engine that will be out of production in 7 months. I don't think it got certified for California either.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Thankfully GM does not have the final decision here. The 6.6 gasser is for light duty use only (2500/3500). The 8.0L+ gasser will be the minimum to meet themedium duty needs.

The 8.8L that PSI uses would be ideal.

https://www.psiengines.com/whatwedo/on-highway-engines/

It wont be a light duty mall cruiser engine like a GTDI or tiny diesel.
The 8.8L is an interesting engine for Medium Duty use since it has a broad torque curve and "Diesel Like" low end torque, and as a bonus can run on LPG and CNG for lower CO2 levels in urban area Fleet use.

Appears to be based on GM's 8.1L Big Block as they also offer it along with 4.8L and 6.0L GM LS engines so it is a proven design that fleet mechanics are familiar with so it would be a good choice for Fleets looking for a Gas alternative to Diesel.

·
Registered
349 Posts
2020 Silverado Medium Duty order guides are up on GMFleet.com. Few changes, air bags, a couple of GVW packages, wheel/tire combo's. Biggest item looks like a new 37,000# GCW package. No gas engine. Yet......

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
got a promo Email from an international dealer in BC Canada stating there NEW medium duty was a BIG HIT with the local commercial truck show and they claim to have them "on the lot" ready to go (to the upfitter)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Starting to see Silverado mediums in service. Looks like they are a big hit with contractors, see a lot of them with larger contractor bodies.

·
Registered
66 Posts
still don't see many in the tristate area and haven't seen any at dealers, havent heard even any reviews. haven got a chance to talk to the few that i see running around

·
Registered
349 Posts
It has to be one of the slowest new model rollouts in GM history. The strike and now the Covid-19 crisis has cut production severely. The good news is I have heard some very positive comments about the truck, and my employer has 3 currently in the fleet with more on order. Our drivers like them. About the only negative comment I have heard so far is that there are clearance issues mounting certain P.T.O.'s, but I hear there may be an option for a left side P.T.O. in the future.

The 2021 MY may be delayed, I have been interested to see what changes are coming. It looks like there will be increased GVW for the 6500's and there are rumors of a 22.5" wheel/tire combination and a gasoline engine option.

·
Registered
20,339 Posts
Speaking of trucks; I drove past Flint Assembly on Saturday, WOW - I have never saw that parking lot so empty, employee cars or production trucks; mainly just a few cab & chassis, the rest was empty.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Navistar's Springfield plant re-opened line 1 this week, the Silverado medium duty along with the International CV and MV are back in production. Line 2 which builds the Express/Savanna cut-away trucks will re-open May 26.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts