GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FYI - Looks like the medium duty conventional cabs and LCFs are shipping to dealers and upfitters.

https://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2019-CHEVROLET-5500-5005145667

The new conventional cab appears to be an ideal tow truck/roll off truck given the lower cab height relative to the Hino or Daimler offerings. It also has a straight frame that you can't get at this level from Ford or FCA.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I heard Springfield starting shipping last week, the trucks should be arriving soon if they have not already.

I saw one in person 3 weeks ago, very impressive. Right about the frame, looks easy to upfit.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looks like an extremely competitive product in the class 4 and 5 segments. That will be especially true when the optional gasoline engine comes online.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get that gas engine out there! I saw many new F750s on I-75 this past week, all with V10s.
They will be available around the time the new HD pickups make their debut. There are already both Chevrolet and Navistar medium duty test mules running around with them along with a lot of HD pickups.

Expected output will be around 400 horsepower, 450 lb ft for the medium duty truck applications. Probably slightly more for the pickup trucks.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I hear the Silverado medium duty is attracting a lot of attention from ambulance/rescue squad upfitters, and the trucks are being ordered for those applications. My local fire department gave up on the Ford E series years ago and went with the more reliable and capable Ram 5500, but they are expensive. Part of the problem with using a class 5 chassis for an ambulance is rear air suspension is pretty much a necessity, and it's an expensive upfit. I believe the Rams get a Kelderman. The new Silverado has rear air suspension as a RPO, and should be price-competitive with the Ram.

Next up the 6.6L gas engine, as others have posted. Maybe second quarter 2019. 6.6L gas going in the 6500XD LCF too.

Also hearing that both GM and Navistar consider this JV a great success already. And, rumors about a larger class 7 project are getting stronger.....

·
Premium Member
33,573 Posts
These are going to affect Silverado sales numbers, depending on how many Chevrolet can move, F150 might be challenged for sales crown

·
Registered
349 Posts
Volkswagen's truck unit (Scania and MAN) wanted a strategic North American partner. Navistar was a good choice, in fact International's new A26 diesel engine is a license-built MAN. There was a lot of speculation VW was going to buy Navistar when their share price was so low, but it didn't happen. VW bought 17% of NAV shares, but didn't go any further. VW has since spun their truck unit off, it's now known as Traton. It remains to be seen if Traton is interesting in buying NAV outright, or if NAV is even interested in selling out. Never heard that GM had any interest in owning NAV, though their joint ventures are working out well.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Volkswagen's truck unit (Scania and MAN) wanted a strategic North American partner. Navistar was a good choice, in fact International's new A26 diesel engine is a license-built MAN. There was a lot of speculation VW was going to buy Navistar when their share price was so low, but it didn't happen. VW bought 17% of NAV shares, but didn't go any further. VW has since spun their truck unit off, it's now known as Traton. It remains to be seen if Traton is interesting in buying NAV outright, or if NAV is even interested in selling out. Never heard that GM had any interest in owning NAV, though their joint ventures are working out well.
For Navistars sake I hope the A26 works better than the MaxxForce garbage. I see Cummins has a new X15 too to replace the troublesome ISX. During my days in fleet Management we fixed a pile of both these engines. In fact, our company flat out refused to buy any more International trucks period, switched over to mostly Freightliners.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
For Navistars sake I hope the A26 works better than the MaxxForce garbage. I see Cummins has a new X15 too to replace the troublesome ISX. During my days in fleet Management we fixed a pile of both these engines. In fact, our company flat out refused to buy any more International trucks period, switched over to mostly Freightliners.
the OLD big maxxfarce WAS a MAN/CAT frankenmotor block from CAT and MAN did the rest and we KNOW how GOOD that one was
I for ONE would NOT buy an A26 powered cornbinder for quite a few years

I know IC busses are worse reliability and serviceability then bluebird / thomas built

I HOPE GM stays away from buying NAVISTAR thay are respectable in the 5-6 size trucks BUT in 7-8 class they are a JOKE and well known to pedal sub par tractors and have corporate ISSUES on the financial side partly from the EPA and the MAXXFARCE

·
Registered
18 Posts
These are going to affect Silverado sales numbers, depending on how many Chevrolet can move, F150 might be challenged for sales crown
Silverado was over 300,000 units behind F-series last year; I don't think medium duties are going to make much of a dent in that deficit.

In fact, Chevy will be lucky if the medium duties can offset the sales the lacklustre new Silverado 1500 is going to lose to Ram.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts