GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,636 Posts
I think GM made a tactical error leading off with the Hummer, I know why they did that (high profile, high profit Hummers) but it’s now looking like Lightning and it’s 200k reservations completely upstaged the GM party. The modified ICE chassis that is the BEV Lightning was definitely a workaround to get Ford into the game and will probably do well as a place sitter until TE1 arrives early 2025. I have no doubt that the Silverado EV brings next level sophistication to the plate, that cannot be denied but here’s the thing, both companies stand to do very well thanks to their respective products, the big casualty might just be Ram…..

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
14,494 Posts
I think GM made a tactical error leading off with the Hummer, I know why they did that (high profile, high profit Hummers) but it’s now looking like Lightning and it’s 200k reservations completely upstaged the GM party. The modified ICE chassis that is the BEV Lightning was definitely a workaround to get Ford into the game and will probably do well as a place sitter until TE1 arrives early 2025. I have no doubt that the Silverado EV brings next level sophistication to the plate, that cannot be denied but here’s the thing, both companies stand to do very well thanks to their respective products, the big casualty might just be Ram…..
I highly agree. Sometimes showboating is not the way when a greater affect/effect could be had by appealing to the masses like Ford did.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
14,494 Posts
The Ford lightning looks better for the simple fact it has a separate cab and bed like a real truck.
True. It can "bend and flex" if needs be just like a real truck does sometimes vs this unibody type thing. I'm wondering if at some point people will start to see some of these "things and issues" thus realizing maybe the truck isn't all it's cracked up to be?

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Don't care much anymore for the Ram they are part of a Dutch company, all the Rams massive profits made in the USA are taxed at it's Dutch HQ/financial domicile in the Netherlands that is very much an anti-car favours cycling over cars.

Detroits truck battle is really now only a GM v Ford battle at the top now at the biggish US 2, don't really care much about the Dutch rivals pick-up truck all the profits end up at Stellantis in the Netherland's. Hummer might be high profit but they don't sell many just 1 in the last Q4 sales results, the ICE Silverado is generating all the profits still at General Motors at the moment very much keeps General Motors going with its profits is a massive understatement.

Silverado EV is VERY critical gm Electric's whole future should have been put out first, absolutely agree with you 100% on that, sadly personally l don't see the current gm Electric line up being a threat to anybody just 25 Bolt EV sales & 1 Hummer sale in the last 3 months Q4 results GM is not leading the EV world currently. With very expensive $100k pick-ups on the way it will alienate most of its former Silverado buyers, majority of all ICE full sized pick-up buyers eyes/wallets will be focusing on the low spec base models as the ICE full sized pick-ups are phased out, US taxpayers will be facing huge taxes rise to pay for the covid pandemic, have true inflation running at about 15% with all the feds monopoly money that's been printed at the moment, whilst pay rises are being kept down the only thing keeping the hyper inflation genie in the bottle. $100k full spec full spec Silverado EV's don't fit well into all that

Regarding the all American owned F-Series EV v Silverado EV battle which will end up who does the best base lower priced works models after 2035 so Stellantis Dutch model Ram still has a lot of time to catch up, so does the Silverado EV, the ICE full sized pick-ups will continue to sell well right up until thier EV take-over the ICE pick-up end-dates expires.

For me personally like yourself won't live forever JDP we are both getting on a bit, if you asked me what would l would buy the Aussies designed Ford Ranger electric hybrid offers the best of both of both worlds fits perfect choice for the next 15 years is where the markets at, don't need a full sized truck in retirement Ranger hybrid fit the next 15 years perfectly.

If you asked me to choose between an electric F-Series EV & Silverado EV, l have the money sitting in the bank account to buy pay cash doing nothing, both of the 100k high spec models that would be a total waste of money as l will never any of the expensive !00k tech. Would be looking at the simple low spec simple tech versions less gadgets means less things zero things to go wrong don't need 4 wheel steering, reversing cameras or parking sensors l am more than capable of parking a truck in a tight space the big practical rectangular rear windows on the F-Series truck are all l need personally don't like the induced blind spots in the bottom of the rear cab lower door glass upsweeps when looking down at a lower sitting car in the Silverado EV that also has a Avalanche/Ridgeline bit tacked on behind big induced blind spot tacked on behind the rear cab, base model looks Silverado will win on EV range battle by 100 miles for the same $40k price that's very tempting but don't anticipate doing much more than 4000 miles a year in retirement so range is not so important to me personally, both the F-Series EV/Silverado simple base works truck models are the best don't have silly lateral LED light bars running across the front of the truck that will annoy other oncoming drivers at night, so that's a big bonus.

Not much to separate the two fantastic very capable trucks EV full sized trucks, so which one would l buy if you twisted my arm JDP? Personally l don't buy into this gm Electric BS about a purpose built truck, the Chevy Bolt EV was purpose build ground up EV car it has been a total disaster why are there only 25 sale in the last 3 months Q4?
Both are very capable trucks at what they do, what steals the deal is the Classic American full sized truck massive sales winning success has not been removed from the Classic F-Series EV 40k base model truck, keeping the same ole classic practical F-Series as an EV is a BIG bonus an asset that will keep sales that will keep it firmly planted at the top of the EV markets in the future, Silverado EV drops the ball with it's Honda Ridgeline/Chevrolet Avalanche mid sized truck look the sales gap will widen even more in the future brings a more unpractical, can l see Chevy ICE buyers wanting to move in to purpose built bigger sized Ridgeline/Avalanche Chevy truck probably not. Chevy is where my heart is, but an Ridgeline/Avalanche old type not very big selling designs from the past were never a big sellers in tier day that's where the new fully purpose built EV is heading the same way as the purpose built Bolt EV sad to say, the Silverado EV has just lost it's Classic full sized truck mojo, Chevy the brand name is still my favourite brand regardless, l will comeback in several years look at the next refresh..

Reactions: eklauss

·
Premium Member
11,636 Posts
Ford and GM love to brag, especially about reservations and customer order numbers but, whenever a company says a certain high series trim sells out in a short time, you can bank on it being low numbers like 1,500 or maybe 2,000.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For a quick/rough comparison of the two "mainstream" EV trucks:

Payload
F-150: 2000lbs
Silverado: W/T - 1200lbs
Silverado: (higher trims) - 1300lbs

Tow
F-150: 10,000lbs
Silverado: W/T - 8000 lbs
Silverado (higher trims) - 10,000lbs

Hp/Tq
F-150: XL - 426/775
F-150: optional (XLT+) - 563/775
Silverado: W/T - 510/615
Silverado: (higher trims) - 664/780

Range
F-150: 230*-300*
Silverado: 400+

MSRP (starting)
F-150: XL-$41,669 XLT-$54,669 Lariat-$69,169 Platinum-$92,569
Silverado: W/T~$39,900**

*With 1000lbs payload
**plus destination, current for Silverado is $1595

They stack up rather well. I wonder how the unibody vs separate bed/cab will effect sales. You can already see all the "Avalanche" comments on this and many other forums.

I'm also wondering if they tested the Silverado EV unladen or with a 1000lb payload like Ford did with Lightning. Apparently there are reports of unladen early L's showing up to 472 miles of range on a full charge.

Part of me thinks they did the testing with that payload so later they can tout "improved" range without having to do anything more than removing the weight for testing.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
My Sports obsessed brother (not giving a care about cars like I’m obsessed) asked me since he owns a small snow removal business here in Chicago, if I think it’s a smart move to replace half his fleet of 10 pickups with five Silverado WT EVs. He asked me how does the front end work for adding a plow. I honestly couldn’t answer him. Does anyone have a random guess? He was not even concerned with the Range that it would put negatively against an electric truck pushing heavy snow back and forth. I guess I was supposed to know being the car guy in the family because he told our Dad I was silent when he asked the question. Lol 🤷🏽‍♂️

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
My Sports obsessed brother (not giving a care about cars like I’m obsessed) asked me since he owns a small snow removal business here in Chicago, if I think it’s a smart move to replace half his fleet of 10 pickups with five Silverado WT EVs. He asked me how does the front end work for adding a plow. I honestly couldn’t answer him. Does anyone have a random guess? He was not even concerned with the Range that it would put negatively against an electric truck pushing heavy snow back and forth. I guess I was supposed to know being the car guy in the family because he told our Dad I was silent when he asked the question. Lol 🤷🏽‍♂️
I've been asking the EV snowplow question for about a year. I've yet to receive or find an answer. I too would be very interested to know if they're permitted by the manufacturers or not. Unless, of course, they're all betting global warming will eliminate the snow before the EV trucks can handle the load.

·
Registered
22,000 Posts
Ford and GM love to brag, especially about reservations and customer order numbers but, whenever a company says a certain high series trim sells out in a short time, you can bank on it being low numbers like 1,500 or maybe 2,000.
Actually lower if we are talking about GM.....

·
Premium Member
11,636 Posts
Its advanced lane keep assist, not self drive
Not sure but I think you’re confusing the current Level 2 driver assist with the Level 4 AV Tech being developed by Argo, they’re two very different things.

VW has also invested in Argo and taken over most of the development interaction. That makes sense when you realise that most of the small to mid sized Ford BEVs will be based on VW’s MEB toolkit.

·
Premium Member
36,083 Posts
Not sure but I think you’re confusing the current Level 2 driver assist with the Level 4 AV Tech being developed by Argo, they’re two very different things.

VW has also invested in Argo and taken over most of the development interaction. That makes sense when you realise that most of the small to mid sized Ford BEVs will be based on VW’s MEB toolkit.
Argo has nothing on Cruise. The only one licensed to test driverless cars so far in commiefornia

1 - 20 of 27 Posts