GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chevrolet Volt Steering Defect Leads to a Class Action Lawsuit Against General Motors
autoevolution

General Motors' biggest venture in plug-in hybrid electric motoring has been with us since December 2010, but the Volt was recalled on more than one occasions for a set of faults. This time around, a number of Volt owners alleging steering defects led to a class action lawsuit against General Motors LLC.

Apparently, a yet to be discovered glitch in the steering system of the pre-2015 model year Chevrolet Volt makes the steering wheel freeze intermittently while driving. This is no laughing matter, especially if it were to happen while cornering at higher speeds.

Filed at the New Jersey District Court earlier in December, the proposed defective automotive class action lawsuit involves over 100 owners and lessees of the 2011 to 2014 Chevrolet Volt.

more at the link...

·
Registered
641 Posts
"Recalled on more than one occasion for a series of faults"? I'm sitting at the dealer for the first time with >20k miles getting my first oil change.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
"Recalled on more than one occasion for a series of faults"? I'm sitting at the dealer for the first time with >20k miles getting my first oil change.
Although not a Volt, the 2014 Impala (not the Limited model) has accumulated nine separate safety recalls (although not every model manufactured is affected). My wife and I bought a new 2014 Impala LTZ and thought the safety and poor quality problems were long gone with the "new GM". Wrong.

Your Volt may not have been recalled - but there have been safety recalls issued for the Volt. It is a shame that it will take a lawsui to fix a defective product.

·
Super Moderator
2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS - 6M w/LS3
4,299 Posts
How is it I am on my third Chevrolet without any problems with quality since 2006?
Luck of the draw. I've owned, at last count 33 GM vehicles in my lifetime, and only two of them have been problematic: The Impala SS (transmission) in my sig, and a 1995 Aurora (everything) that I owned about 17 years ago. Needless to say, I've had outstanding experiences.

That all said, my experience has not been typical, as I've been extremely fortunate.

Quite frankly, after hearing many stories here over the years, especially from 1999 White C5 Coupe, it's amazing that my luck has been THIS good. GM's quality was crap for a solid 30 years, which was the period from which most of my cars were purchased. I guess I should be buying lottery tickets along with my GM vehicles.

On-topic, this steering issue scares me, as we just bought a 2012 Volt and we live on a windy mountain road. It's terrifying to imagine that locking-up on my wife on her commute.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I've owned my 2014 Volt for a year. No issues and no recalls to report.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Luck of the draw. I've owned, at last count 33 GM vehicles in my lifetime, and only two of them have been problematic: The Impala SS (transmission) in my sig, and a 1995 Aurora (everything) that I owned about 17 years ago. Needless to say, I've had outstanding experiences.

That all said, my experience has not been typical, as I've been extremely fortunate.

Quite frankly, after hearing many stories here over the years, especially from 1999 White C5 Coupe, it's amazing that my luck has been THIS good. GM's quality was crap for a solid 30 years, which was the period from which most of my cars were purchased. I guess I should be buying lottery tickets along with my GM vehicles.

On-topic, this steering issue scares me, as we just bought a 2012 Volt and we live on a windy mountain road. It's terrifying to imagine that locking-up on my wife on her commute.
I have always been fascinated and intrigued by the Volt technology - but cost and (small) vehicle size kept me from buying a new one.

Not to change the topic - but how do you like the car?

·
Super Moderator
2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS - 6M w/LS3
4,299 Posts
I have always been fascinated and intrigued by the Volt technology - but cost and (small) vehicle size kept me from buying a new one.

Not to change the topic - but how do you like the car?
It's my wife's daily driver and she loves it. The car has absolutely exceeded our expectations in terms of efficiency as well as dynamics.

Of course, as I type this, my wife is stuck along with a dozen other cars in the snow on our windy mountain road. Hopefully, she doesn't get hit by some knuckle-dragging hoon trying to "be a man" by out-driving the conditions.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Lately I have been getting class action solicitations from some goons around Los Angeles who somehow got wind of my owning two relatively new Chevrolet vehicles (2013's).

The first two letters I forwarded to GM so that they know this was happening, I got a call from some concerned corporate hack, I told them I was not interested in suing them or anything but they needed to know there are low life's sending letters to their customers enticing them to sue.

Anyways, after the third one, I gave up, I now just shred the letters.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
It's my wife's daily driver and she loves it. The car has absolutely exceeded our expectations in terms of efficiency as well as dynamics.

Of course, as I type this, my wife is stuck along with a dozen other cars in the snow on our windy mountain road. Hopefully, she doesn't get hit by some knuckle-dragging hoon trying to "be a man" by out-driving the conditions.
I have only talked in-depth with one Volt owner - who loved the car.

I live in a very hilly and winding road region, with numerous creeks, streams and several rivers. During the winter, 4WD is a must at times (or at least FWD for most of the snow falls).

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Lately I have been getting class action solicitations from some goons around Los Angeles who somehow got wind of my owning two relatively new Chevrolet vehicles (2013's).

The first two letters I forwarded to GM so that they know this was happening, I got a call from some concerned corporate hack, I told them I was not interested in suing them or anything but they needed to know there are low life's sending letters to their customers enticing them to sue.

Anyways, after the third one, I gave up, I now just shred the letters.

What type of solicitations were the letters? Or, for what type of vehicles?

·
Registered
747 Posts
How is it I am on my third Chevrolet without any problems with quality since 2006?
I bought my first brand-new GM vehicle in 1980 (Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais), and have bought MANY more since then. NONE of them was problematic, or ever had a warranty repair. Same with the Fords I've owned. Different story for the ONE Toyota and the ONE Mitsubishi I owned. Since my "luck of the draw" has fared well for me, I'm sticking with GM.

I'm a firm believer that much of these so-called issues with GM vehicles is propaganda, even from the one and done posters here. Then you get the rest of the GMI GM haters piling on and this is what results.

I even love the Malibu you so often deride. That car does NOT deserve the criticism it gets. It drives GREAT, it rides GREAT, it gets GREAT mileage, and, to me, it LOOKS great, it handles great. Not a fan of the start/stop. The much maligned rear seat space is a non-issue for me.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
An examination of defect data shows that automobiles have fewer defects than ever. However, you will also notice that there is an increased spate of recalls--some from manufacturers with almost divine reputations for being defect-free. My guess is that the increase in recalls is an artifact of closer scrutiny and not poorer quality control.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Apparently, a yet to be discovered glitch in the steering system of the pre-2015 model year Chevrolet Volt makes the steering wheel freeze intermittently while driving. This is no laughing matter, especially if it were to happen while cornering at higher speeds.

If its yet to be discovered, how do they know about it then?

·
Premium Member
5,527 Posts

Time travel, duh. Great Scott all they need is 1.21 jiggawatts. Anyone know where i can get a flux capacitor?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts

GM knows of an issue. #14232: Special Coverage Adjustment - Power Steering Stick-Slip covers 2011-2014 Volt. And others like 2010-2014 GMC Terrain, 2013-2014 Chevrolet Malibu, 2010-2014 Chevrolet Equinox, 2011-2014 Chevrolet Cruze, and 2012-2014 Buick Verano.

Some 2012-2014 model year (MY) Buick Verano, 2011-2014 MY Chevrolet Cruze and Volt, 2010-2014 MY Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain, and 2013-2014 MY Chevrolet Malibu vehicles may have increased friction in the steering system. This could cause the steering wheel to stick in the straight-ahead position after driving long distances on a straight highway. The steering wheel can be turned but it may require increased effort.
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to 1) replace the steering gear on 2010-2012 model year vehicles; or 2) reprogram the power steering control module on 2013-2014 model year vehicles. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.
Its basically an in service or if you have an issue coverage/update. It's not a recall per say, and the dealer must check via your VIN to see if your car is covered by this if you have an issue. Kind of like, if you went in for service, and the dealer's scheduling system checks your vin through the GM system (which it does/they do), they may ask you "hey you have an open coverage/update we can take care of."

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I've had my Volt for 2.5 years and have had only a couple of minor issues (involving my charge port).

I've followed the Volt web forums since the car was a concept and I have never heard or seen a storey where this steering issue has come up.

The only steering issue I'm aware of is on some 2013 MY Volts when the Volt is driven in a straight line for a long time with little steering input it can take a little bit of additional steering effort to move the wheel off centre. But I've never seen it described as a safety issue (more of a mild nuisance). I received a letter from GM describing the issue and that they have issued a 10 year extended warranty on the steering because of it.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
You bought established models, GM is proving that the first 1 or 2 model years is a real crapshoot, (ATS owners come to mind).

I had Zero issues with my 2013 Silverado, yet the 2014 Silverado, recently passed the issue-riddled cluster-launch Escape for the award of the most recalled model.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts