790 Posts
Originally posted by Dumb_Ass_2003@Feb 1 2004, 07:49 AM
Great Interior!
As for the rest, it's a minivan, oh wait, Crossover Sport Van <_<
agreed. i wish they would have been a little bit different from the other two

·
Registered
954 Posts
Well the way I see it, if you're looking at a GM CSV, you've got 4 choices for exteriors and all of them come with a great interior. Man do those door panels look nice. Black with white stitching, and chrome door handles too! GM no longer does horrible interiors!

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Too bad there is no interior "space" technology. The seating design in this gets killed by the current minivans (Oddyssey, Quest, MPV) and gets Destroyed by the upcoming 2005 Caravan.

Gm has 4 failures in my opinion. The public will not be fooled by a fancy name (CSV) and a very mild cosmetic change. The front is new (yet identical on 4 models) and the back is carry over of a decade old design.

GM, you should have done your homework.
Or at least have asked for an extension.

Move along folks, there's nothing to see here. Which is unfortunate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Feb 1 2004, 03:25 AM
GM, you should have done your homework.
Or at least have asked for an extension.

Haha the funny thing is, these vans ARE the extension...The Lambda platform was pushed back for some reason that I don't remember.

Haha real credible, I am.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
One of the better looking CSVs this van is. A nice interior this van also has.

This is supposed to be a badge job, what do you think Chrysler does with their vans, they all looked identical. But 4 versions is way too much.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Thanks for the photos, Rex! They sure remind me of the Terraza...

If GM had refreshed the Venture like this 2 years ago, it would have been great - maybe even class-leading. But the competition has long since moved on.

Although the interior does deserve praise (for a single van -- How does Toyota get away with a SINGLE Sienna, no clones, as well as Honda?) this really is GM at its worst.

This is the kind of vehicle that gave GM a bad name in the 1980s.

It's thinly disguised, with clone siblings in almost every GM division, and doesn't have the winning attributes of the Trailblazer clones, that at least have a techy new engine, great new platform, and even different interiors (Envoy vs. Rainier).

When you clone a vehicle, you need to make sure it is a darned fine vehicle. These vans will be inevitably compared to the competition, and they will come up short. Again, GM is using ITSELF as the measuring stick for progress and change. Yes, compared to the Venture these are GREAT. But no one wants to buy a krappy minivan like the Venture when other great choices are out there.

These vans will "keep production going" at their manufacturing plant, and will be great for people with GM Employee Discount Plans, or those looking for year end incentive-laden bargains.

But they sure ain't "gotta have". And no, I don't need to test drive one. How much better can they be than a Venture with a 20 horsepower boost, and better suspension and wheels? That is, with the "sporty" console shifter and same old 4-speed tranny.

"But Minivans aren't supposed to be sporty or look good"

Yeah, well that's EXACTLY the kind of attitude that produced these snoremobiles. And kill the "sport van" thing already if you think that.

Again GREAT interiors, stinky rehashed platform, transmission, too much old rear sheetmetal, and overuse of Cloning on what should be a stop gap, 3 year product. They are only a step up from the kind of refresh the Cavalier got in 2003 because they also did the interior here.

And where's the 3900 engine that was rumored?
:angry:

·
Registered
613 Posts
My thoughs, Car and Driver style ;)

The Pros: DAMN good interior. Fake wood that doesn't look too fake. Higher grade plastics and finishes. Rear fold down seats.

The Cons: The rest of the car is, well, uh..... yawn........ The rear seats fold down but the execution was poorly done. There are wide gaps down the sides of the seats. Good luck cleaning up french frys or dog hair from those cracks. GM badge engineering at it's worst (as stated earlier)

Summary: A big improvement but so far behind it isn't relevent.

At least Dodge seems to have gotten the inovation bug back when it comes to minivans. Perhaps they will bring back American dominance of this product group. I doubt it but stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
127 Posts
the thing is that while I really think these things are, well, a bit on the weird looking side. I think that they are offering something different from the rest of the market. For those that have seen the Buick and the Saturn versions at an Auto Show, they really do look a lot better in person.

It will not win any comparos vs. any of the other minivans in the market, consumer reports will dog them and so will the rest of the media.

But I have to be honest. If I have $35,000 that I want to spend on a minivan I would actually prefer this over the "suburbanite" white cake eating looking Toyota or Honda. This looks different. It looks a lot cooler than the other minivans on the market. The interior is cool, and the thing about the removable hard drive is a great selling point in my book.

But then again, I hate minivans. So I will never look to buy one, but all I am saying that if I had to buy one, it would probably be one of these four.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Originally posted by mikehamm45@Feb 1 2004, 10:07 AM
the thing is that while I really think these things are, well, a bit on the weird looking side. I think that they are offering something different from the rest of the market. For those that have seen the Buick and the Saturn versions at an Auto Show, they really do look a lot better in person.

It will not win any comparos vs. any of the other minivans in the market, consumer reports will dog them and so will the rest of the media.

But I have to be honest. If I have $35,000 that I want to spend on a minivan I would actually prefer this over the "suburbanite" white cake eating looking Toyota or Honda. This looks different. It looks a lot cooler than the other minivans on the market. The interior is cool, and the thing about the removable hard drive is a great selling point in my book.

But then again, I hate minivans. So I will never look to buy one, but all I am saying that if I had to buy one, it would probably be one of these four.
HUH??? I saw the saturn at the auto show and it was just plain ugly. This thing looked confused with it's big long nose. I didn't bother to get close and check out the interior so i won't comment but if i was a minivan buyer and drove by my local saturn dealer and saw that thing I would either keep on driving or floor it to make sure it didn't chase me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
BUT IT WILL HAVE $5,000.00 REBATE WHEN HITS SHOWROOM (BAD JOB GM) :grenade:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I for one, I hate minivans.
"it dosen't look good"-hahaha- that's a joke, right? what minivan looks ok? They are all ugly
GM fails to identify his competitor (voyager or caravan?) and, like it did before when it did a facelit to the cavalier/sunfire instead of a new model, does now with this!
hopefully for them, the dumb persons who generally drive minivans will look at the interior first and buy it. that means approaching the vehicle with the eyes closed and only open once inside

·
Registered
448 Posts
None of the GM vans are offer any type of competitive advantage--style, engines, or utility--to the Asian minivans.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts