GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Well everyone, it looks like Ming predicted it and GM can back it up. The Chevrolet Uplander will feature a Cargo Van when it is introduced using a FWD-Only configuration. This is most-likely due to the loss of the Chevrolet Astro in 2005.

Here is a quote from GM:

Uplander's lineup will include front-wheel-drive passenger models available with base, LS and LT trim; a front-wheel-drive cargo van; and an all-wheel-drive passenger van.
I bet Ming is happy about this one...

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its from a Press Packet that GM released at Chicago International Auto Show

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Nice scoop!

Found a link (a looong one - originally a PDF) only by using the whole quote in Google:

The Uplander is projected to be the volume leader in GM's new stable of crossover sport vans. The Uplander will replace the Venture in Chevy's lineup and, like the Venture, it will compete in the center of the mid-van market

Uplander's lineup will include front-wheel-drive passenger models - available with base, LS and LT trim - an all-wheel-drive passenger van and a front-wheel-drive cargo van.

The Chevrolet Uplander will be manufactured at the GM Doraville Assembly Plant near Atlanta - a plant ranked number one in 2003 in the J.D. Power IQS2 quality study. The Doraville plant also is ranked as the No. 1 plant in its segment two years running in terms of productivity, according to The Harbour Report.

Link

I wonder how this van will be recieved by the people who now buy Astro Cargo Vans? And like other commercial use versions, will this one change from the regular Uplander look - to a black plastic grille or sealed beam headlamps? I think the current Venture Cargo van differs little from the passenger version - at least on the outside, here is one of the few photos I could find:

And the interior:

http://www.adriansteel.com/newcccp.htm

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by Jay@Mar 15 2004, 10:58 PM
I still can't believe they haven't cured those God-awful looking sliding door tracks. Why can't they hide those things below the windows like all other vans do now???
Something tells me that this won't be a problem for cargo van buyers.

But as for the normal van? Money. After all, the CSV isn't a total redesign, more like an extensive refresh. An anonymous beancounter decided that it was too expensive to "fix" the visible track.

I don't see it as a big deal myself. In fact, with a Cargo van it would make sense - if there are no windows in the rear.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Not everyone cares only about 400hp+ cars.
Different people have different needs. Thats what makes this website a nice diverse place.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Mar 16 2004, 01:16 AM
Not everyone cares only about 400hp+ cars.
Different people have different needs. Thats what makes this website a nice diverse place.
Yah!! Oh by the way they probably wouldnt be able to hide the tacks under the window considering they made the back window a seperate fixed window, so I don't think that would work. Hopefully theres a lot of people out there whos needs will be filled by these vabs untill the Lambdas come.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Originally posted by Arrowhead222@Mar 16 2004, 05:43 AM
I don't understand why you guys get excited about this crap. Woo Hoo?
No kidding. It sound like yall are busting a nut over it. Especially Ming. Who in the world couldn't predict what is going to happen to a minivan. Thats the easiest thing to do. Sliding doors, third row, luggage rack, all the basic goofy things that come with it. :roflmao:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Obviously there is a little humor involved in my "excitement" over this. (Even though I'm happy a potential "replacement" (that looks beefier than the Venture) is coming for the soon to be discontinued Astro cargo van.

;) :p

w00t!! :woot2:

You know its the next HOT trend. Uplander Cargo Vans will be at ALL of the custom car & truck shows!!!

I can even see an A-Team version with the red stripe down the side! :mrt:

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have to say as much as I hate the Astro/Safari, when I owned one it wasn't a bad ride at all. I only had one problem (Besides the creeks everytime I backed out of my driveway and the hard plasticy interior): An electric modulator for the transmisison went, so everytime I stopped a red light or stop sign, then pressed the gas, it wouldn't go, then it would do a burnout and go (which isn't all that bad because I looked cool :D :lol: ). That van had character and everyone was amazed with how much it could carry. If GM had updated im sure it would be a different story. But things must happen...may you rest in peace Safari and Astro.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Astros and Safaris have been great vans and i will be very sad to see them go :( i think the uplander looks disgusting

1 - 16 of 16 Posts