GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at 'seewhathappens.com', a Mitsubishi site that proves the new Galant is better than Camry & Accord. I have a plot for a Chevy commercial that might help bring in some sales. Here it goes:

Announcer: When you stack up Chevy Malibu LT, Honda Accord EX, and Toyota Camry XLE here's what happens....you could've done something else with the extra $3,000 you paid for Accord, and extra $6,000 for Camry. You could've had the best mpg in its class with the Chevy Malibu.
Chevrolet Malibu has the best mpg and price in its class. Why? Because Chevrolet just re-invented the midsize sedan. Chevrolet, An American Revolution.

Here is another one:

Announcer: Chevrolet Malibu, Toyota Camry XLE, and Honda Accord EX V6 were riding along on the road. Only one would do the best. Who has Motor Week's best family car award: Malibu, Who has the best mpg out of the three: Chevy Malibu, Which has the best price out of the 3: Chevy Malibu, and finally....which wins: Chevy Malibu,
Chevrolet Malibu has won the MotorWeek family car award? why? Because Chevrolet just re-invented the midsize sedan. Chevrolet, An American Revolution.

Chevrolet should start airing commercials that get out the fact why you should buy the new Malibu over Camry & Accord. They should do it such as Mitsubishi has done, but somehow different. Aveo, and Cobalt should start airing too.

Announcer: Aveo, with the best room in its class, best cool in its class, and better features than any Toyota Echo, which is over $1,000 more and Kia Rio, which is over $300 more. Would you like to pay less?
(Jingle comes on)
Chevrolet: An American Revolution

Announcer: Which sedan has the best horsepower in its class, as well as price. And styling, and features. Not Honda Civic. Not Nissan Sentra. Not even Toyota Corolla. That car is the new stylish, powerful, speechless Chevrolet Cobalt with a supercharged ecotec 170 hp I4, more than competitors. Beat that.
(Jingle comes on)
Chevrolet: An American Revolution

I want commercials that get out the fact that the General is finally standing up to the imports..I mean if the imports can go head-2-head with each other, can't we. What are we waiting for? If we want to beat the imports in sales, we've got to stand up to them. B) :)

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Good ideas!

I think Chevrolet needs to prove itself with the Malibu in 3 years. And then refresh it noticeably.

People are tired of the all-new Chevy that comes to compete with the Camry and Accord, and then overstays its welcome by hanging around largely unchanged for 7 years or more, while Camry and Accord get ground-up redesigns every 4 years.

Part of the problem is that GM has way too many vehicles in its portfolio that need updating, leaving Honda and Toyota to focus on a few strong vehicles while GM struggles to update the Bonneville here, and the Envoy there, while some vehicles like the Astro go unchanged for a decade.

Once GM has more dealerships merged, it should go for less overlap (nix one of the two - Montana and Terazza for instance) -- then we can see more time devoted to a "Camry killer".

Until then GM will have a hit on its hands for the first 2-3 years, but will suffer later when the competition gets redesigned AGAIN.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Thats the big advantage the **** have. Toyota has two car/truck lines. Totota and Lexus. (ok Scion has just arrived and generally it was a dumb idea). Honda has Honda and Acura. All those dollars focused on two lines apiece. GM has to spread the money over 5 car/truck and one dedicated truck line. Then you get into their overseas auto lines. There is so much repitition and overlap that GM has that the **** just do not have to deal with or fund.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Wrong.
When the new Altima debuted, Nissan didn't say "Let's wait 3 years then advertise how good it is". No, they ballyhooed that car even to the detriment of the Maxima that was sitting there with the old platform. In fact, Nissan publicly stated that the Maxima was being refreshed.
When you have something new and the people are lining up to look at it, you give them all the good news.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The domestic cannot just sit there if they want to make sure that they nab sales from the imports.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Came up with another one except this one is for Pontiac:

Announcer: The new G6 has more horsepower than Camry, Accord, Galant, and Legacy. Why? Because Pontiac engineered the new G6 with you in mind. The G6 has the first-in-class panoramic roof. Why? Because Pontiac just said the midsize-sedan doesn't have to be boring.
Carry your family with this one. Pontiac G6: Fuel for the real soul.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think you're on to something there.

I keep seeing the commercials telling me there's a new American Revolution and that they have 10 new models coming out. The problem is that they don't tell me why I would want to drive any of them or how they stack up to their competitors.

It is also true that they have to update them consistently to stay competetive with the imports. As stated in earlier posts in this thread, it will be a hard task with all the other vehicles they have to keep up to date. Hopefully they will make this more of a priority... especially with the vehicles that have a direct competitor which receives periodic updates. For instance, the GTO can wait a little while for an update as there is no competitor, while the Malibu will need more frequent updates.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts