GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chevrolet teases 2016 Volt wrapped around in swirly camouflage

Chevrolet has released another teaser image with the second generation Volt set to debut in January 2015 at NAIAS.
Rather than talking about the actual car, Chevrolet is detailing all the work put into designing the camouflage but we won't bore you with the details. Information about the car is scarce at the moment but GM previously announced the second generation Volt will be able to travel on electric power between 50 to 60 miles (80 to 96 km) or even more whereas the current model can cover up to 38 miles (61 km). There also might be an entry-level variant featuring a smaller battery pack and a shorter electric range.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/1140929...2016-volt-wrapped-around-in-swirly-camouflage

·
Registered
973 Posts
I think they didn't get enough attention releasing the camouflage volts. So the decided to post techniques. Now my question: isn't it same for all products ?

It's only 3 months debut, its time to start sharing the details than just blabbering on nothing.

·
Registered
21,375 Posts
I think they didn't get enough attention releasing the camouflage volts. So the decided to post techniques. Now my question: isn't it same for all products ?

It's only 3 months debut, its time to start sharing the details than just blabbering on nothing.
I agree at this point most of the Gen I Volt are already built and sold, Hamtramck has been down for over a month and still scheduled to be down another 6 weeks.

If they've got something exiciting, better start sharing it, if they don't then delaying will just magnify the let-down............

·
Registered
195 Posts
GM previously announced the second generation Volt will be able to travel on electric power between 50 to 60 miles (80 to 96 km) or even more whereas the current model can cover up to 38 miles (61 km).
There have been far too many rumors in the past that were taken as fact.

Anyone have a link to the supposed announcement?

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
GM Teases Camouflaged Next Generation Chevrolet Volt

GM Teases Camouflaged Chevrolet Volt
Left Lane News
September 29, 2014
By: Justin King

General Motors has released a teaser photo showing the camo-clad front half of its next-generation Chevrolet Volt.

The shot does not reveal much about the redesigned hybrid, and GM takes the time to explain the camouflage strategy that aims to hide the Volt's new styling - "one of the automotive world's best kept secrets."

Rather than tasking designers with creating camouflage for test cars, GM maintains a team of dedicated engineers to build the wraps.

Consistent with cloaking strategies used by other automakers, the Volt has been obscured by a black-and-white color scheme that makes it difficult to see shadows created by contours underneath. Other tricks include 3D layering to create false contours, sometimes with the help of bubble wrap or foam.

Full article at link.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Re: GM Teases Camouflaged Next Generation Chevrolet Volt

My wife loved our HHR for ease of exit and entry, our Volt not so much. Would love to to see a CUV version of the Volt and would trade up to one.

Reactions: camaro_freak

·
Registered
9,571 Posts

Unless this has at least 30 - 50% more electric-only range, the design won't matter.
My wife loved our HHR for ease of exit and entry, our Volt not so much. Would love to to see a CUV version of the Volt and would trade up to one.
IMHO design and Packaging is MORE important then "pushing out" the EV range
IMHO a MPVoltec orlando like car would sell in WAY higher # then a 50+ MILE version of the current car body style IMHO

·
Premium Member
8,821 Posts
Love this quote from autoblog.com

---------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this is awkward.

A few years ago, Audi Of America's boss Johan de Nysschen went on record describing the Chevrolet Volt as "a car for idiots." Fast-forward to earlier this summer, and the well-regarded executive suddenly found himself in a new office with new business cards bearing the title: President, Cadillac. That means that among other challenges, de Nysschen is now tasked with selling the ELR, a car that is, at its core, a Volt in a sportier, less utile frock wearing a price tag that's twice as expensive.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,499 Posts

Well, this is awkward.

A few years ago, Audi Of America's boss Johan de Nysschen went on record describing the Chevrolet Volt as "a car for idiots." Fast-forward to earlier this summer, and the well-regarded executive suddenly found himself in a new office with new business cards bearing the title: President, Cadillac. That means that among other challenges, de Nysschen is now tasked with selling the ELR, a car that is, at its core, a Volt in a sportier, less utile frock wearing a price tag that's twice as expensive.
I guess the lesson here is to sorta watch what we say and never say never. I don't care what the pundits say, but as a dyed in the wool GM fan I feel proud to see these Volts plying the highways and byways of America. I am glad to see the possibility of better performance such as range, etc. I like the new shape as it looks to be more fluidic and smooth. A couple of questions though, this and the new Cruze share platforms right? So then is this what we could expect the Cruze hatch that they say is coming to be similar to?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

Well, this is awkward.

That's pretty troubling. I'm not too familiar with Mr. de Nysschen, but he seems to have some heralded credentials, and seems to know what it'll take to get Cadillac to the top again. But, GM fan or not, how can anyone find a way to trash talk the Volt at all? What was his thought process around this statement? Did/does Audi have anything comparable at all?

It seems like baseless school-yard name calling. I'm less concerned that he's now in charge of selling a car he dismissed, as I am wondering who this man is at the core. We all make gaffs sometimes, but this is troubling from the new architect of Cadillac's return to glory.

·
Registered
641 Posts

Unless this has at least 30 - 50% more electric-only range, the design won't matter.
I don't think it's about that much more electric range. As a Volt owner and thinking what would make the car sell in higher numbers I think CS MPG must increase by at least 20%. On road trips I average ~37 mpg at 75+ mph and if you're going to get people to consider a Volt over a Prius or the like you need to get that number toward the mid 40s. Then even if people forget to plug in or they have longer commutes they are still getting solid hybrid numbers.

Reactions: sfbreh and plane

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
That's pretty troubling. I'm not too familiar with Mr. de Nysschen, but he seems to have some heralded credentials, and seems to know what it'll take to get Cadillac to the top again. But, GM fan or not, how can anyone find a way to trash talk the Volt at all? What was his thought process around this statement? Did/does Audi have anything comparable at all?

It seems like baseless school-yard name calling. I'm less concerned that he's now in charge of selling a car he dismissed, as I am wondering who this man is at the core. We all make gaffs sometimes, but this is troubling from the new architect of Cadillac's return to glory.
It's a mainstream car that's more expensive car than it need be that seats fewer people than it should with pretty limited value as far as pure ICE goes.

As an image car, it's not really a better Prius and it's not a better Tesla. It doesn't do anything well besides cause controversy and extend the range of your gas tank and dollar at the cost of performance and affordability.

It's a nice car, but it tries to be too... anonymously different, and the technology for it just hasn't really come into its own to the point that it's a great option.

It is a very good car in practice, but it is more than a sum of its parts. It's a controversial car at a brand that thrives on a conservative middle America, known for pickup trucks, big SUVs, Camaros, and Corvettes.

Total cluster**** in principle.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts

It'll need 100 miles electric-only to matter (it won't).

It'll also need to look like a regular car that somebody other than a college student would actually want to own and drive (it won't).

·
Registered
148 Posts

It'll also need to look like a regular car that somebody other than a college student would actually want to own and drive (it won't).
Funny ... most older people in Australia like the Volt that it looks like a stylish regular car, what they don't like is the GM brand for the price they have to stump up to own one. Sad...... if it had a prestige Euro brand / badge it would have been selling like crazy.
This is why a really great car is such a poor seller locally in the land down under.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
It's a mainstream car that's more expensive car than it need be that seats fewer people than it should with pretty limited value as far as pure ICE goes.
As far as the value.... I've run the numbers quite a bit. I'm a statistics/math geek I suppose. New base Volts are selling these days for $31,xxx. Then there's a $7500 discount as a tax credit. So now you've paid $23,500-$24,000. Many states offer another few thousand dollars, but we'll assume you're in a state that doesn't.

Now - Which ICE to compare it to is the question. I'll make it tough on the Volt and pretend the Cruze is just as nice (I don't think that's true, but....). Let's take a Cruze that sells out the door for $18,000. So an LT of sorts.

Price differential is $23,500-$18,000 = $5,500.

Let's use 12,000 miles/year and let's use EPA numbers and let's assume unleaded is $3.40 a gallon. For charging the Volt I'm going to use my local area kwh rates.
In the Cruze: 12,000 / 30mpg * 3.4 = $1360 fuel per year.
In the Volt: 12,000.... is gonna run around $360 in electricity.... I'm rounding a little to make the calculations easy but that's very very close and I'll spare you the math.

So the difference to run the two cars is $1000 a year. In 5.5 years, the two cars come out the same. Around 6 years if you want to include opportunity cost.

Someone might say "but you assumed all the driving in the Volt was electric". Well, the combined rating on the Volt running off the engine is still quite a bit better than the Cruze. So if the driver goes over 12,000 miles a year, they'll get to breakeven SOONER.

As an image car, it's not really a better Prius <...>

It's a controversial car at a brand that thrives on a conservative middle America, known for pickup trucks, big SUVs, Camaros, and Corvettes.

Total cluster**** in principle.
None of those problems are the Volt's fault.

The Volt IS vastly superior to the Prius in reality - GM marketing has done an absolutely abysmal job at showing people the math and facts, as I did above. Most people still think it's an old school hybrid and GM was a decade late to the game.

There's nothing controversial about saving money. GM needs to get their message together. And remember that my math above assumes we compare a Volt to a lower-end Cruze. The lack of seating for 5 put aside (and that was a huge blunder), the Volt is a lot nicer to drive than a Cruze in most other ways.

The Volt is perhaps GM's greatest engineering achievement ever, and on the surface it would seem to be GM's greatest marketing failure ever. But, that's assuming they wanted to actually sell Volts. I don't think they really did!

Why would they? The Volt only recently became profitable for GM. Or at least we think it is, GM hasn't been that clear on the point. Why push a money loser?

Volt 2 better be profitable from day 1, and GM better re-launch the Volt with a massive media and press blitz.

Reactions: sledgehammer777

·
Registered
1,337 Posts

OK, I'll take the bait.

Why does it need 100 miles of electric range before the gas engine kicks in.... the gas engine that currently gets 37mpg combined and is going to be in the 40s for the next gen, as they're going to a smaller engine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts