GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DETROIT - Chevrolet's "An American Revolution" advertising theme will headline the division's return as a major player in Super Bowl advertising for the first time in more than 15 years during the CBS broadcast of Super Bowl XXXVIII in Houston on Feb. 1.

"With 10 new cars and trucks being introduced over a period of 20 months, there's no better place than the Super Bowl to make a bold statement that something big is happening at Chevrolet," said Brent Dewar, Chevrolet general manager.

Chevy's Super Bowl advertising will carry the division's new theme, "An American Revolution," signaling the major changes underway at the General Motors division. Two all-new vehicles representing the breadth of Chevrolet's product family will be showcased in the advertising - the Chevrolet SSR roadster pickup and the entry-level Aveo car.

A 30-second spot, "Soap," will debut during the game's first quarter. "Soap" communicates in a humorous way that Chevrolet is rolling out attention-getting products. The commercial opens with successive shots of children, each with a bar of soap in his or her mouth. Finally, the spot cuts to a young boy who is mesmerized by the sight and sound of a bright yellow Chevrolet SSR, as the SSR's hardtop converts into a dazzling open-air roadster. The SSR prompts a surprising reaction and humorous ending.

Chevrolet also will use 30 seconds of commercial time during the game's second quarter to air two new 15-second spots for the Aveo. "Pachyderm" shows an elephant going down a city street, as if chased out of town by an Aveo that follows it. The commercial communicates that the Aveo packs a lot of power and attitude for a small car. In the second spot, "Big Little," four basketball players who enter the car look like little kids in big seats, highlighting the small car's surprising roominess.

Like other advertising in the "An American Revolution" campaign, the Super Bowl spots convey a bold new attitude at Chevrolet, said Kim Kosak, Chevrolet general director for advertising and sales promotion. In addition, humor is particularly appropriate to Super Bowl advertising, Kosak said.

"First and foremost, all Chevy advertising is focused on our vehicles and how they connect with peoples' lives," Kosak said. "At the same time, we realize it's important to find an entertaining way to communicate our message in a venue like the Super Bowl. Humor is an attribute that resonates with the game's viewers. In fact, when we tested 'Soap' in focus groups, a number of people volunteered their opinion that it would make a good Super Bowl commercial," Kosak said.

The Super Bowl commercials were created by Chevrolet's advertising partner, Campbell-Ewald, of Warren, Mich. After launch on the Super Bowl, the commercials will appear in Chevrolet's regular television rotation. "Soap" also will appear in cinema advertising.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Damn, no C6 spots.

133 Posts
hmm, the best advertising is sitting next to one at a stop light.

:D :afro: <_<

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
LAME!!! Thoes commercials sound like crap. Soap in kids mouths?? Chasing elephants?? I had hope in Chevy....all seems lost on there new marketing venture.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I don't see how they are going to intrigue people enough to buy a Chevrolet. I'm very suprised they aren't doing anything with the C6 or even the Cobalt. Oh well, just more stuff that Chevrolet does to kill off products. Why am I loyal to Chevy again? :(

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I've seen Soap. It's very good, very funny, and our staff loved it. I haven't seen the Big/Little, and I can't remember Pachyderm since we were all geeked that day by Car Carrier, and most everything else bounced off.

Chevy doesn't need to advertise the C6 right now, as it's already getting a buttload of free advertising everywhere, to the point that they've had to incentivize the C5's in favor of the C6 and SSR halo effects, which have been very strong from my experience.

The response to the Colorado advertising, so far has been very good, and we're selling them now at a much faster clip than we sold S-10's.

The internet campaign for the Aveo has also been, in my experience, successful, generating a lot of emails and phone calls despite the fact that the car isn't even here yet in our region. The 2004 Malibu didn't get nearly the attention when it was released; the success of this car has hinged on test drives, which yeild a much higher than average closing rate at our store. Logically, the Malibu's advertising has focused on test-drives.

I've also explained the business position of the Aveo, how each Aveo sold has the customer value of two other Chevies sold. Advertising the Aveo, which holds key advantages in its segment, makes perfect sense.

Finally, there will be plenty of advertising for the Equinox and Cobalt, but it would not be wise to advertise a product that is still almost a year away from showrooms, when there are plenty of Cavaliers that we need to unload. GM's not playing games here, and there are reasons behind their decisions.

Eh, screw it. Bring back the Chevelle. :brick: :brick: :brick:

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I saw the big/little spot with the basketball players......Very funny!!
They need to show off the Aveo.....Vette people already know the Vette they dont need the Superbowl to tell them what they already know..

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by espo19047@Jan 31 2004, 12:33 PM
I saw the big/little spot with the basketball players......Very funny!!
They need to show off the Aveo.....Vette people already know the Vette they dont need the Superbowl to tell them what they already know..
just like camaro and firebird owners right??

They need to advertise the corvette because people that drive porsches and such might want to go check out the new C6. Its a Halo car, treat it like one. Ford is making a GT commercial, and GM is gunna be showing the Aveo? GM should have definatly made a C6 commercial, plain and simple. They arent treating there enthusiast with much respect. They dont make the Camaro anymore, at least throw up a Vette commercial or 2. The Vette's sales numbers want fall off like its dead sibling, but its not a bad idea to get more people into chevy dealerships looking for the Vette now is there? No one likes the SSR, no one wants the Aveo. Its that simple.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Hey, the Aveo might actually be a good-seller for Chevrolet. I saw it on the road, and it looks small on the outside, but I'm still waiting to see what's inside.
The GT won't sell, and the Aveo will. At least GM is making use of $2.3 million to have a Super Bowl spot. Ford is advertising a car that won't sell, while GM is. It is much better to get money over some cheap car, than have one person buy a GT. :D

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
No one likes the SSR, no one wants the Aveo. Its that simple.
I've already posted definitive proof that both of these statements are false. A lot of people are crazy about the SSR (my boss loves his), and a lot of people have already sent me emails asking for Aveos. We didn't get this level of response on the 2004 Malibu, and it's done very very well.

As far as the Camaro goes, the enthusiasts didn't treat it with enough respect, and they lost it. Heck, read the garbage around here that people throw out regarding the Camaro. Those of us who wanted them, got them.

And we love them. :afro:

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
No one likes the SSR, no one wants the Aveo. Its that simple.
While I dont have any interest in the Aveo, I know alot of people that purchase cheap transportation for just that. Cheap transportation. While I doubt it will sell 200,000 copies, it could possibly be a success for GM. The SSR on the other hand is almost pure sex. If I had the money I would buy a black/black one, lower it an inch or two & go cruising around on the weekends showing off the top :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
San Diego, GM has a huge presence, I have seen quite a few Malibus, but tos more Aveos alreaddy, just over the last week. the Sedan seems more popular.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The soap commercial was pretty good. Haven't seen the Aveo spots yet. Of course, the soap spot was supposed to be during the first quarter, and didn't appear until near the end of the second quarter, so who knows when the Aveo ads will appear.

According to chevrolet.com, it looks like the ads should be available for download around halftime.

Edit:
Actually, they're available now:
http://www.chevrolet.com/library/commercials/

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by Jeffff@Feb 1 2004, 06:08 PM
The soap commercial was pretty good. Haven't seen the Aveo spots yet. Of course, the soap spot was supposed to be during the first quarter, and didn't appear until near the end of the second quarter, so who knows when the Aveo ads will appear.

According to chevrolet.com, it looks like the ads should be available for download around halftime.

Edit:
Actually, they're available now:
http://www.chevrolet.com/library/commercials/
Hahaha 'Soap' was awesome! "Wholly Sh..*engine revs*" :lol:

First time I've seen how the SSR hardtop works too.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I like the SSR, but wish it did more then look good. For 45k, im getting a vette. I think at 35k this would sell better. Grank, have you sat in one? How is the quality in it? Is it old GM or new GM? There is a dealer near me that has one, black or dark purple. Looked really nice. I have yet to see a GTO at dealers, but im 99.9% sure I saw one on the road the other day. I wana test drive one sooo bad, but I feel nervious going into the dealership and I think im gunna walk out with a car... Anyway, I hope both cars do well. Im watch CBS right now and is 1pm and there are still new commercials coming. They just had a Jag commercial talking about AWD.
I thought the Earnheart Jr/Bud commercial was the C6 commercial!! Wow, speaking of which, the car carrier commercial just came on...
I think most people that watch the super bowl are males, all ages and economic backgrounds. I think the Colorado commercial would have gotten many laughts, an Equinox would have been good, and a C6 commercial would have been good. Stuff that gets guys excited other then bewbs. The Ford GT commercial looked good, but I couldnt hear anything because my little brother wouldnt shut up!! Thats the only ford ever that has me wanting one, but not over a Ferrari.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I like the SSR, but wish it did more then look good.
While it looks great to most, I think it does a lot of things well. I think what you mean is that you wish it had better straightline performance. Everybody does, but that's the cost of adapting a concept to a producible vehicle when the demand caught everyone by surprise.

The biggest gripes come from people who haven't experienced the SSR, and have only 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times to go by. The SSR isn't short on fun or drama, and while I haven't gotten to drive it, I grin like an idiot while riding in it. And even if I didn't grin like an idiot all the time anyway, the SSR would still turn me into your "duh-duh" style slapstick dimwit.

Also look out for PT-Cruiser style "variants," including higher-performance variants.

For 45k, im getting a vette. I think at 35k this would sell better.
It's all a question of taste, and where one sees value. It's as simple as that. It's a hard choice for me, since I already have near-Vette performance for a lot less money. The styling, the power hardtop, and the drop-jaw looks ("Here, take one of my cards...") speak loudly to me.

There are a whole lot of less-cool rides out there for a whole lot more.

Grank, have you sat in one? How is the quality in it? Is it old GM or new GM?
Aye, I've ridden in one, since my boss bought our first one. It's a little of both old and new GM, though the interior style is overall pretty good IMHO. You can probably nit-pick it to death, but it's a good ride from the inside. The power seat controls are best adjusted with the doors open, and the only flimsy controls are the HVAC knobs, which look good enough but feel kind of creepy when you turn them.

As far as actual (vs. perceived) quality goes, I have no complaints at all. The platform is solid, the hardware is proven, and the top is designed for 90,000 open/close operations (1x a day for 246 years).

I dig it.

Ghrankenstein

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
What I mean by not doing any one thing well is just that, it doesnt do one thing well or one thing doesnt stand out. You cant really tow with this truck, you cant haul much, its not really all that fast, you cant put a lot of people in this truck, it doesnt go off roading like a truck but it doesnt handle like a sports car. If it could tow or haul then it would be a good truck. If it could be fast and handle well, then more performance oriented people would pick this truck up. But it doesnt do anything. Its just a fancy car. I like the SSR, but id buy it only after I had other cars I wanted and would like this as a show car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts