GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM totals four APEAL awards spanning all brands.
www.GMInsideNews.com
July 24, 2013
By: Nick Saporito

Recently General Motors has received a lot of love from market research firm JD Power, and that continues today with Chevrolet taking four APEAL awards. According to JD Power research, four GM products in total offer owners the highest gratification of ownership in their segment. Three of the awarded vehicles are Chevrolet products, which is the highest amount of any one brand in the study.

Chevrolet received APEAL awards for the Volt, Sonic and Avalanche. This is the third year that the Volt has been the most APEALing product in the compact car segment, while the Sonic and Avalanche have received the award for two years. Ironically, the Avalanche is now out of production and is being discontinued after the 2013 model year.

In addition to the three Chevrolet models, the Buick Encore received the APEAL award for the sub-compact crossover segment.

The APEAL study is based on over 83,000 responses from consumers that gauge the vehicle's overall appeal within the first 90 days of ownership. The study sort of goes hand in hand with JD Power's Initial Quality Survey, of which GM was the top performer on as well.

Press Release said:
DETROIT – For a second year in a row, Chevrolet has three segment award recipients - more than any other brand - in the 2013 J.D. Power Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) Study. The Chevrolet Volt ranks highest in its segment three years in a row, along with Sonic and Avalanche which both received awards for the second consecutive time.

Together with the Buick Encore, which ranks highest in its segment in its launch year, GM received four segment awards. In addition to the award recipients, a total of seven General Motors’ models placed in the top three of their respective segments.

The APEAL Study is based on more than 83,000 responses on how gratifying a new vehicle is to own and drive in the first 90 days of ownership.

“We are driven by the positive recognition from our customers on the things they love about our vehicles,” said Alicia Boler-Davis, senior vice president Global Quality and Global Customer Experience. “This is a key measure of how successful we are at exciting and delighting our customers.”

The APEAL study complements the J.D. Power Initial Quality Study. GM had two vehicles that ranked highest in their segment in both studies – the newly launched Buick Encore and Chevrolet Avalanche.

APEAL Study Highlights
GM Segment Award Recipients
Chevrolet Volt Compact Car
Chevrolet Sonic Sub-Compact Car
Chevrolet Avalanche Large Light Duty Pickup
Buick Encore Sub-Compact CUV

·
Banned
2,537 Posts
Reminds me how the Avalanche was the only vehicle that GM made that Consumer Report has gone gaga for all these years.
I still say had the 900 Avalance just been the Silverado, Ford's F-150 would have been in serious trouble. Avalance should have just been a package for the Silverado. Because without the plastic crap on the back, it's about the best looking truck I've seen since 1972. Beautiful front end, gorgeous clean side profile, no goofy flares, the good interior etc.. It would have made Chevrolet Silverado sales soar. I would have bought one in a heartbeat. Oh well.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I love my Avalanche, its my third one! They're gorgeous, capable, comfortable, reliable, etc. I couldn't imagine myself driving a different vehicle, the Avalanche fits my needs and wants better than anything else!

I still say had the 900 Avalance just been the Silverado, Ford's F-150 would have been in serious trouble. Avalance should have just been a package for the Silverado. Because without the plastic crap on the back, it's about the best looking truck I've seen since 1972. Beautiful front end, gorgeous clean side profile, no goofy flares, the good interior etc.. It would have made Chevrolet Silverado sales soar. I would have bought one in a heartbeat. Oh well.
As an Avalanche owner... nuts to that idea. The Avalanche should never have been a Silverado trim package, its a complete misunderstanding on what the Avalanche is. Its NOT a pickup, its an SUV with a bed. The bed and cab are one piece, the rear suspension is a 5-link coil over shock, it uses more sound deadening, etc. The Avalanche is stiffer, rides better, handles better, and fits into garages better than any other full-size pickup. All of this comes with the trade-off of slightly less capability than an F150 or Silverado. The Avalanche is different and that's what makes us Avalanche owners love it.

I do however agree that the Silverado should have received the Avalanche's interior and styling.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The sonic is a super cool little car. I'm really contemplating trying to pick up an LT Turbo hatchback. The Encore needs the upcoming 1.6T or the even more powerful 2.5L from the Malibu/Impala. That and drop the body cladding, the hell were they thinking!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Reminds me how the Avalanche was the only vehicle that GM made that Consumer Report has gone gaga for all these years.
I find it interesting that CR can give such continuous praise to the Avalanche, but somehow the T900 Silverado misses that glory, all the while sharing the bulk of mechanical bits and interiors.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Arg...the cancelation of the Avalanche still angers me! This model has earned respect in the market and is unique and useful. Why on earth cancel it...it seems to sell in decent numbers?! Oh well, classic GM.

But great news otherwise.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
It should have been a package for the Tahoe/Suburban since it is based on it. They did it with the Escalade.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Just remember - that award means nothing - if it weren't for the ONE MONTH blip of the Snuze last month, Chevrolet would have reported negative sales growth - that division is quickly becoming stale and is becoming a joke. Even the the Caprice is being outsold handily by Ford's Interceptor.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I love my Avalanche, its my third one! They're gorgeous, capable, comfortable, reliable, etc. I couldn't imagine myself driving a different vehicle, the Avalanche fits my needs and wants better than anything else!

As an Avalanche owner... nuts to that idea. The Avalanche should never have been a Silverado trim package, its a complete misunderstanding on what the Avalanche is. Its NOT a pickup, its an SUV with a bed. The bed and cab are one piece, the rear suspension is a 5-link coil over shock, it uses more sound deadening, etc. The Avalanche is stiffer, rides better, handles better, and fits into garages better than any other full-size pickup. All of this comes with the trade-off of slightly less capability than an F150 or Silverado. The Avalanche is different and that's what makes us Avalanche owners love it.

I do however agree that the Silverado should have received the Avalanche's interior and styling.
The Avalanche was by far the most versatile truck on the market. The mid gate is awesome. As is the original's bumper step and box side storage. I also loved that the cover on the bed could be combined with the mid gate to have a large sealed volume.

I remember seeing one for the first time in 2001 on the way to my brother's high school graduation and thinking how awesome the truck looked. Such an innovative vehicle from GM. I really wish they would have updated the interior at some point during the 900's.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Comes down to EPA, ladies and gents. Avalanche is the only truck I would buy because it brings everything I could possibly need into one package without being gigantic.

·
Registered
690 Posts
typical gm, the avalanch has a solid following and gm gets it totally right.................................and they get rid of it!!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think that is what will end up happening with the new Silverado. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see an Avalanche trim package.

The Black Diamond versions have the plastic pieces painted like on the Escalade versions. Makes them look nice.

And they also have rear a/c vents which always made me scratch my head considering they have the same center console as the LTZ trucks which do not.

Either way they are very nice vehicles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,981 Posts

^^^ This

·
Registered
76 Posts

Agree 100%!!!!

I love my Fairway Metallic Black Diamond Avalanche.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts