18,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Chevrolet Releases Tech Manual For PPV

13 July 2010

GMInsidenews.com

Michael McWilliams
mikmak
Australia Correspondent

The wait is over....for law enforcement officers, with GM Fleet releasing options details for the Chevrolet PPV. Coming in either Police Caprice 9C1 or Police Detective 9C3 spec, the Caprice represents a strong showing from General Motors, boasting more room, more power and better economy than the out going Police Fleet stallwart, the Ford Crown Victoria.

Now for the bad news:

Chevrolet PPV Tech Manual said:
This vehicle has been designed for police work up to and including high speed emergency vehicle operations.
GM restricts the sale of police vehicles and they are not to be sold to retail customers.
Both versions (9C1 and 9C3) come equipped with the E85 capable 6.0 V8 carrying the option code L77. Packing 355 crime fighting horses (@5300 RPM) and 384 lb-ft (@4400RPM) of torque, the Caprice PPV channels all it's crime stopping fury via a 6L80 equipped with Police spec Stabilitrak. Goodyear 235/50R18s are mounted on 18" x 8" steel wheels and spread the duty across the rear wheels through a Limited Slip differential (2.92).

There are a bunch of options from light activation to vinyl flooring, as well as support for ancillary equipment with an optional 600CCA battery in the boot (sorry, trunk) to compliment the standard 700CCA unit.

Train spotters will also note that some new colours, Mirage Glow, Alto Grey and Silver Ice joining Red Hot, Phantom (Black), Heron (white) and Karma.

Check out the full range of options in the PDF Tech Manual HERE

(Note: PDF is around 6MB)

Thanks to ZaphodBeeblebro for the tip. 42.

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the old one which is the ME spec front I think:

They dropped the bar, but have also changed the front repeaters to orange. The 9C3 pic in the OP is a clear compgen though so who knows how accurate it is.

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would expect speciallist items like the centre console would be a system on it's own. The touch screen shown in the PPV last year could probably be fitted to just about any vehicle. Its inclusion certainly added a bit of wow to the Caprice, but I think it was a mutually beneficial package. The Caprice ensured that the touch Screen got some interest and vice versa.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I'm aware that many people out here desperately want a RWD Chevy sedan, but honestly, this car's styling screams '1995', especially the front. Perhaps its best left to police interceptor work in the US.

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does look a better in full Holden guise (at least IMO) but it is definitely aimed at the safer end of conservative. I saw a lowered silver Statesman (the "lower" spec LWB) just with standard wheels and a dark tint. I looked like a great highway cruiser. :yup:

·
Registered
954 Posts
I'm aware that many people out here desperately want a RWD Chevy sedan, but honestly, this car's styling screams '1995', especially the front. Perhaps its best left to police interceptor work in the US.
I do agree it does look a bit dated in some pics, but it does still look really nice when done right

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
In the pic it looks like it's got the undercover matt paint job.

I am surprised they have kept the high-up fender vents for the US car... a bit close to Cadillac and Buick I would have thought.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
is it even worth bringing these cars to the states to sell them as police cars? it was not even a business sense to sell them as pontiacs

the styling is too dull to sell as a regular car anyway

Alan

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
The rear does look bland. Way too close to the current Impala. Hope to see many of these around as long as they arn't in my rear view mirror!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
you know, this thing does look boring .... but its design suits an American cop car so well for some reason. It actually does look like what an update of the mid 90s Caprice would look like. Yes?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think it's one of the best looking sedans on the road today. Like an aggressive A8. A lot of other cars have bolder designs but there's always something that looks weird or doesn't fit. Caprice just looks very elegant and well finished- maybe not so much as a black and white tho.

·
Banned
2,537 Posts
That Holden pic is Gorgeous! Maybe a bit dated but sweet nonetheless... The back end of this thing looks exactly like the current Impala to me. I wouldn't know the difference if one drove by. However, the new front grille is fantastic!! The one with the bar in the center was just ugly. I know it's an old Chevrolet design cue but on some cars (and even trucks) it simply doesn't work. They shouldn't force something that doesn't work with the rest of the design... Leave it for the ones it works on.

·
Registered
937 Posts
you know, this thing does look boring .... but its design suits an American cop car so well for some reason. It actually does look like what an update of the mid 90s Caprice would look like. Yes?
Chevrolet is on a roll right now which they haven't seen for years. Fresh new models that are selling beyond expectations and generating huge profits CAMARO, EQUINOX, and coming soon the CRUZE and VOLT and updated Malibu due next year are bringing large numbers of consumers to the showrooms. Boring cars from the past is the old GM. Bringing in an outdated looking vehicle from Australia with the chevy bowtie on the front and back won't do anything for the marketing image that chevrolet needs moving forward. Importing a car from half way around the globe (at what cost?) will only generate a few thousand police car sales a year and won't generate enough profits that GM needs from all its vehicle lines. Lets not forget most cities in america are financially cash strapped and busted and many depts buy cheaper Impalas and Chargers ONLY because they can't afford CVs. I am sure the PPV will be more expensive then the curren Crown Vic.

We know that about 75,000 police vehicles are sold annually in america. With Fords new police Taurus coming in 2011, and (NEW) Carbon Motors E-7 along with the current Impala and Tahoe, and Dodge charger and even a few thousand japanese cars used as police vehicles there isn't much room for any vehicle today to dominate as the crown vic has since the end of the Caprice in 96. Is it really worth the marketing cost, effort and image in bringing in this vehicle that looks like its from days gone by that will not do anything to keep the momentum going for the new chevrolet that has found its new way on being a leader in quality and bold new styling. This new police vehicle seems like a step into the past, not a step forward as chevrolet has been showing lately........just my opinion.

·
Registered
441 Posts
This is the car that GM should have replaced the G8 with. If they had I would probably have not been so intent on getting my Genesis but I am sure glad I did. Should be a good cop car. No need to make an unmarked version since only cops will have one. Will be much easier to spot than the unmarked versions of the Crown Vic, Taurus, Impala and Charger.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I'll go out on a limb and predict the 9C3 in Red Hot will be the most rare combination. Nothing like "Look at ME red" on an "undercover" vehicle. ;)

Of course I suppose fire departments wouldn't mind that color combo. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts