GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the Chevrolet Orlando made its world debut at last week’s Paris Motor Show, details seemed to be few and far between. But now that the dust has settled at the Paris show, a few more details about the upcoming people mover have been revealed.

Based on the same Delta platform as the Chevrolet Cruze and Volt, the Orlando will be motivated by a range of gas and diesel powerplants, displacing between 1.6L and 2.0L. According to Motor Authority, the Orlando’s top engine offering will be a 2.0L diesel unit, putting out 150 horsepower and 236 lb-ft of torque. Power will be sent through five-speed manual and automatic transmissions.

Although the Orlando will initially be offered exclusively with front-wheel drive, and all-wheel drive model will join the lineup later on.

With a 2,760 mm wheelbase (108.7 inches), the Orlando features three rows of seats. The interior appears to be quite similar to the Cruze’s interior, with a waterfall center stack and switchgear out of GM’s current models.

Although the Orlando was originally earmarked for production at GM’s Hamtramck plant, those plans have since been cancelled – along with plans to sell the Orlando in the U.S. GM is still touting the Orlando as a global car but, as in years pasts, it appears as though the term ‘global’ means ‘everywhere but the U.S.’ Instead, the Orlando will be sold in European and Asian markets.

The Orlando’s lack of U.S. availability has solidified the HHR’s future, despite the hatchback riding on the outgoing Cobalt platform.

GM is still finalizing which markets will get a crack at the Orlando, but those Chevrolet dealers in approved regions should begin selling the Orlando in 2009.

At this link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-orlando.html

Well that just figures! :mad:

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
wrgjaopgjioaphgapobhaoipwhgaopeihgawphgpohoaw!!!!

*headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk*

WHY GM?! WHY?!

We would've totally gotten one...as well as many other families in the US...

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Take the 3rd row of seats out and this NEEDS to be the next-gen HHR!!!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
lol what's new, everyone here says bring it and GM says no.
But....but....we have the Lambdas!!!:lmao: .... funny, but not so funny come to think of it.....pretty sad actually, even pathetic.....:(

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
So what the hell is GM doing with the federal money in the first place? Making more useless crossovers, instead of bringing over useful cars like that here?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
So what the hell is GM doing with the federal money in the first place? Making more useless crossovers, instead of bringing over useful cars like that here?

In a normal market, the Traverse would do well......

The NA market has been turned on it's head. The Orlando makes more sense today, Even if gas prices are TEMPORARILY down.

GM,

Now that you have a share of that $25B, it's time to bring the small MPV's like the Orlando, Meriva,and Zafira here to NA.

Ken

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Wouldn't it be funny if it went to Canada and not the US??! :)
I'd be even more jealous. I really want one of these in a few years. If they bring it that close and don't give it to us I'd be REAL upset. Don't make me buy an ugly Rondo. Why can't we have a fuel efficient 2+3+2 in the USA?

Make them optional, I want that 3rd row!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I agree.

On GMI and the internet, I (we) see what seems like dozens and dozens of new car debuts every year. There are only a small handful of those debuts that I see that make me think "that is a car that I am going to give a very close look at becasue it looks like something I would actually buy". The Orlando is one of them. VERY dissapointing that GM is not going to bring it here.

I like the type of vehicle the HHR is. We owned an HHR in the past, and other than some mechanical problems (needed a new radiator within the first year and had a few problems with the brakes and rotors), I liked the vehicle. The idea of a small, 4 cylinder crossover (smaller than the Vue with better mileage) is very appealing. I just don't want to be considering a Chevy HHR in 2010 that is still saddled with a 4 speed automatic transmission and is riding on a half-dozen year old (or more) platform.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
But....but....we have the Lambdas!!!:lmao: .... funny, but not so funny come to think of it.....pretty sad actually, even pathetic.....:(
The lambdas are nice vehicles. The Vue and Equinox aren't bad either. But they BOTH get under 30mpg (and most real world tests have them under 20mpg) and they are too expensive. I don't know about anyone else...but both of us have full time jobs...pretty decent jobs....but when you consider grocery prices, gas prices, home utilities, saving for kids college, housing/mortgage prices.......I just can't see getting a Lambda 'moderatly' equiped for over $30,000, or a fairly well equiped Equinox or Vue for the mid $20k's. We just don't have that kind of cash laying around...a few years ago maybe we'd consider it...but it doesn't make sense anymore.

Times are changing, and it isn't just with regard to fuel economy. An auto company simply can't expect to make a vehicle better and still get that much money for them. People looking for $30k vehicles before are now working $20k vehicles now.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Too bad -- this was looking to be right in the strike zone for what I will likely need for our next family car!

Hopefully, Ford will bring over the C-Max.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
If that's the case I hope GM at least does something with the HHR so that it functions as the US counterpart to the Orlando.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts