GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a relatively small car.
It would fit into the class of the new Mini, another "2 door wagon".
Even The VW Beetle would be competition for this.

It could work.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
it definitely has potential and would be a worthy competitor to the mini-cooper. They are actually pretty similar. Both have 140HP (The Nomad would probably have a 140HP Ecotec 4.) Both are 4-cylinder powered. Both are 2 doors. Both are wagons. Both are Retro. It could definitely work if they cleaned it up a little.

·
Registered
44,081 Posts
Originally posted by 2.0Ted@Jan 4 2004, 01:37 PM
Gee - GM stealing a design from Saab for their American divisions...so original... :angry:
All current global platforms were Saab engineered aren't they? ;)

·
Registered
44,081 Posts
The car looks nice. A bit like a Mini, Saab 9X, and a Thunderbird.
That grille has to go. The Thunderbrid looks like a dead catfish... and so does Nomad.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Chevrolet neeeds this car. It's blatantly Chevrolet. The front is Chevrolet, the rear is Chevrolet, its porfile is Chevrolet. Anyway you look at it, you know it's a Chevy, and that's what Chevy needs.

Anyone else look at the car, and get goosebumps? I want this car. period. Bob has done his job with this one, IMO.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The more I look at the NOMAD the more I want one. RWD 250 h.p. performence car and it's a coupe. This car blows all current small compact performence cars out of the water. Mabey the EVO and STI would be a bit faster or handle a bit better, MABEY, but this car will not cost 30 grand. This car must be built. What a brilliant concept to take on the Toyota/Honda/VW/BMW 1 etc. mob. I was wondering what Chevy's future plans were performence wise and mabey it's the SS Cobalt and Nomad to take on the small compacts, the SS Camaro to take on any Pony type cars that show up and the SS Impala/Chevelle/Monte whatever they call it for the NASCAR crowd. The Vette is the icing on the cake. Man would Chevy be back then or what? Another thing, chop the roof and you have the poor mans Vette - circa 1954. I love this friggin car. I now have three favorite all time Chevy's. 1- Impala SS 409 2- 04 Nomad concept 3- Chevy Corvair (I hate Ralph Nader). BUILD IT LUTZ.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Originally posted by johnd89@Jan 4 2004, 01:19 AM
nice!
the grill is a little overkill, looks kinda like buick, imho
If you think it looks like a Buick, then you must think that Buicks look like early Corvettes. I love this concept and would have a hard time deciding between a Solstice and a Nomad.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Originally posted by chev454ls@Jan 10 2004, 05:23 AM
I love this concept and would have a hard time deciding between a Solstice and a Nomad.
My thoughts exactly. Both very cool in different ways.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I sent Mr. Lutz an e-mail asking why the Solstice and Curve got the green light for production and not the Nomad. I got an answer from Bob Lutz. Weather it was really him or his answer guy I do not know. What he said was, " WE (GM) really want to build this car but we have to weed through some new Gov't regulations in order to make a business case for the car. " I got the impression from his answer that the Nomad unlike the Solstice and Curve was not scheduled for production and was a design exercise that caught Chevy/GM off guard due to the positive reaction across the board. (Road and Track even liked it and they are not a magazine that has been kind to Chevy). It might be there are some engineering problems or safety problems to work out but I believe we are going to eventually get the Nomad. Man do I want that car!

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Here's the dilemma with this concept and why it might not go to production...

This is actually a spin of the '53 Corvette wagon concept, which received the first use of the name "Nomad". It looked almost identical to this new concept. But the production Nomad ended up being a 2-door wagon version of the mainsteam Chevrolet (210, Bel Air) lead-sleds a couple years later. Thus we really have a retro '53 Corvette wagon here. Do you want to sell a new C6 next to a retro '53 Corvette wagon? It'd be an interesting case, but I'm guessing not. I mean, if it's a retro Vette, you don't really want to call it "Nomad" because of the way the Nomad name was eventually used in production. But with the C6 being a technological tour-de-force, you can't sell it as a version of the Vette, either. But I see the flip side of it, as well... maybe there's no harm at all in doing it.

It's a nice little car and would be nice to have in the showrooms, but these dilemmas are probably why they're not doing it. The gov't/regulatory excuse is nonsense. If they can certify a ragtop (Solstice) version of this platform, plus the Saturn hardtop, then a wagon should be a slam dunk.

They could make it a risk-free proposition if they changed the front end. Since the body is a spin on the old production Nomad, almost any unique front-clip theme would work and they could call it a Nomad. But what to use? The last Nomad concept (1999 show) looked great with it's '69-Camaro inspired front clip -- but there is the same problem of authenticity. Plus, it's best to save that front end for the next Camaro (hey, I can dream can't I?)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts