GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source: General Motors

The following are ACTUAL production numbers provided by General Motors covering production for the month of March. They are not estimates.

Here are some of interest:

Chevrolet Malibu - Fairfax: 11,690
Chevrolet Malibu - Orion: 7,803
Pontiac G6 - Orion: 12,625

Total Chevrolet Malibu: 19,493

Cadillac CTS - LGR: 6,747

Saturn Sky - Wilmington: 1,167
Pontiac Solstice - Wilmington: 1,029
Opel GT - Wilmington: 565

Chevrolet Uplander - Doraville: 7,587
Pontiac Montana - Doraville: 1,582

GMC Acadia - LDT: 8,412
Buick Enclave - LDT: 5,013
Saturn Outlook - LDT: 2,843

Chevrolet Impala - Oshawa(2) - 26,570

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Good news on the Malibu. Almost reacing 20,000 units last month. At this point, do you think that the Malibu will sell more cars on a retail basis then the Fusion?

I think Chevy can do it.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
They are still building the Montana???

I thought the Uplander was the only minivan scheduled to finish out production at the plant? Hmmm....

I've seen piles of Acadias on the lots here in Houston.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
They are still building the Montana???

I thought the Uplander was the only minivan scheduled to finish out production at the plant? Hmmm....

I've seen piles of Acadias on the lots here in Houston.
Montana is still selling well in Canada (both short and long wheel base no less!). My wife just leased on for her business.

Uplander's life has been extended through 2009 now.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Good news on the Malibu. Almost reacing 20,000 units last month. At this point, do you think that the Malibu will sell more cars on a retail basis then the Fusion?

I think Chevy can do it.
I hope so. I love the Malibu and it deserves to sell well. GM should be rewarded for product like this.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
there is an article in the news section of caranddriver.com that talks about GM's plans for Pontiac and Chevy cars going forward. It states that a refreshed G6 will appear in early 2009. It also says that the Impala and Malibu will coexist as RWD cars but the Malibu will be the bigger seller. They anticipate 500k sales a year between the two cars starting this year.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
there is an article in the news section of caranddriver.com that talks about GM's plans for Pontiac and Chevy cars going forward. It states that a refreshed G6 will appear in early 2009. It also says that the Impala and Malibu will coexist as RWD cars but the Malibu will be the bigger seller. They anticipate 500k sales a year between the two cars starting this year.
Malibu is not going to be RWD and Impala probably not going to be RWD either.

Chevy may have a RWD sedan someday, but it won't be an Impala.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Long live the Uplander! Thank goodness for fleet sales!

Yes--even if the Uplander is 80% fleet its a big mistake for GM to abandon the segment. What is going to make up for those 100k sales even if most are fleet?

The Chevy Traverse should have incorporated sliding doors somehow---then GM could have remained in the game. In fact it could have been a game changer--but it isn't.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
I have to think that Cadillac was sandbagging everyone on CTS sales goals: 60,000 per annum. Despite the mortgage crisis that arguably has been draining consumer spending in other parts of the economy, despite a contracting automotive industry in the US, despite rising unemployment, and more, there hasn't been a single month since its launch that the CTS has moved less than 5,000 per month. And the 6,700+ units produced in March leads me to believe that Cadillac believes this great car will continue its successful sales streak. Are you paying attention, Cadillac? Great cars sell well. Look globally, and you'll probably find even more success.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Oshawa is a good plant. It wins a bunch of awards for quality, and the Regal was the most reliable Consumer's Reports product for a couple of years...which means that they are putting it together correctly and they are getting good parts. I have seen some iffy paint jobs on the W cars, though...I have nothing but respect for the Impala. It's reliable for most people and they are a helluva deal used (though their resale value is not as bad as it was just a couple of years ago....you can get a good loaded one with 12,000-20,000 miles for $17K-$20K....so it's still a very good used deal but it's no longer the steal of the century).

I realize that the Impala is a popular fleet car (police, rental, etc), but I do see people buying these cars privately. It's by no means dead. It is by all accounts a very good car (even if the malibu is better), and it's a hair larger than the 'Bu or Camry for less money. I'd strongly consider used Impala if I could find one exactly like I wanted (a white LTZ with the neutral leather interior), especially good used deal considering the first year residuals are pretty heafty. It's not bad looking either, if a bit bland. I'm sure even at fleet prices that it is making money for Chevrolet and GM, which is why the replacement is on hold for the time being...GM wants to probably lower cost on the Malibu as it becomes more popular. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Impala is on the current DTS/Lucerne chassis or the Zeta chassis. We do know that Ford is moving the Taurus to a global RWD chassis after the next redesign, so Chevy will surely follow suit.

I think Chevy can do it.
It wouldn't surprise me either way. The Fusion is a good product and it's been on the market long enough to have recognition, but the Malibu has heavy marketing and lots of really good reviews and it's probably the better car of the two provided you are not looking for a manual transmission.

I was under the impression that the fleet sales of the new Malibu were very, very low while the G6 and LaCrosse was very high. The Ford and Mercury probably have a good percentage fleet sales, but I doubt it is as high as the previous generation Taurus was.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Damn they can really pump out the Impalas up there in Oshawa!
Yeah, let's just hope they can 'pump out the Camaros' (and keep excellent quality of course) so they're pretty easy to get when they come out. :)

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
The Outlooks numbers are depressing. I think it is a great looking SUV. It seems like no one realizes that Saturn is selling them.

I guess it would not hurt Saturn much if they dropped it from their line-up. Especially when Chevy starts selling the Traverse.

I can't believe the Sky is being produced in great quantity than the Solstice.

Go figure with the Uplander and Montana. I guess there is a market for minivans.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I can't believe the Sky is being produced in great quantity than the Solstice.
Well, it IS far more attractive than the Solstice. Most everyone I know prefers the Sky over the Solstice.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Well, it IS far more attractive than the Solstice. Most everyone I know prefers the Sky over the Solstice.

Not so sure about that---GM did a great job differentiating the two and I believe they are both equally attractive. Actually, on looks alone I think the Sky would have been a better fit for Chevy.Didn't I hear somwhere that the Sky was originally slated to be a Chevy Stingray or something like that??

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yes--even if the Uplander is 80% fleet its a big mistake for GM to abandon the segment. What is going to make up for those 100k sales even if most are fleet?

The Chevy Traverse should have incorporated sliding doors somehow---then GM could have remained in the game. In fact it could have been a game changer--but it isn't.
My thoughts exactly. Instead of being a stylish, game-changing minivan, its Lambdas also-ran. Which makes the Traverse yet another lost opportunity for The General.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
My thoughts exactly. Instead of being a stylish, game-changing minivan, its Lambdas also-ran. Which makes the Traverse yet another lost opportunity for The General.
There is nothign stopping them from designing a minivan on the Lambda chassis....

If they can keep the quality high, I'm sure it will sell just fine. I think they should stop making the Outlook and replace it with a minivan and add a minivan to the Chevy lineup.

·
Registered
867 Posts
The Uplander is made at the old Chevette plant? Suddenly everything makes sense now.
The Chevette was produced at Lakewood Assembly which is near Atlanta, Georgia. This plant opened in 1927 and closed in 1990 and was the plant were the UAW first staged their sit down strike in 1936.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts