GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A five day partial sales suspension was enough to push the Chevrolet Malibu ahead of the Toyota Camry for the month of January, 2010.

Chevrolet Malibu: 16,439
Toyota Camry (inc. hybrid): 15,792

Other rivals:

Honda Accord: 19,022 (w/o Crosstour)
Nissan Altima: 18,636
Ford Fusion: 12,179
Hyundai Sonata: 8,508
Chrysler Sebring: 3,593
Kia Optima: 3,162
Dodge Avenger: 3,134
Volkswagen CC: 1,891
Mercury Milan: 1,881
Volkswagen Passat: 584 (Sedan Only)

Chevrolet Sales Data
Toyota Sales Data

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
A five day sales suspension was enough to push the Chevrolet Malibu ahead of the Toyota Camry for the month of January, 2010.

Toyota Camry (inc. hybrid): 15,517

This was worthy of its own thread.
Am I correct in assuming that the Camry volume per selling day is higher than the Malibu? I don't mean the number of selling days in January but the actual amount of selling days which the Camry was available prior to the suspension.

·
Premium Member
15,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Am I correct in assuming that the Camry volume per selling day is higher than the Malibu? I don't mean the number of selling days in January but the actual amount of selling days which the Camry was available prior to the suspension.
Well, not ALL Camry sales were halted. Hybrid Camrys, Japan-sourced Camrys, and domestic Camrys with Denso accelerators could still be sold.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Sure, but only 220 imported Camries were sold. That only represents a little over 1%.
You have a point there as does Buick61 but the thing is - a wins a wins and, the sales rate gap was just tightened up beyond belief.

Sorry, I should have also said Camrys with accelerator pedals made by Denso were still sold.

So, Hybrid + Denso + Japan = Not a complete shut down of Camry sales.
Something along the lines of anything made on line #2 ( Georgetown KT ? ) was / is salable ie Denso equipped.

Distribution maps may have mattered some.

That CR / SUA article just maybe backfiring nicely on the retail side - who knows, maybe even on fleet as well.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Time for the Malibu to focus on the next target to knock: Honda Accord
Of course by March when all this has blown over and everyone forgets Camry sales will be right back where they were, unfortunately. I'm sure it will have to be a long slow climb for the Malibu. It was just nice to see it also outsold Fusion.

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
The real news is that it is not the Fusion that sped ahead of the Kanmuri, but the Malibu. Keep in mind it's the good old 2008 Malibu with no nav, hybrid or rear armrest. Well done, GM!

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
The most shocking item on that list is the 3500+ people who bought a Sebring.
Not really - safety is in the air.

Sebring and Avenger are among mid size cars with the IIHS Top Safety rating and the recent revision effort is decent enough.

Midsize cars
Audi A3
Chevrolet Malibu built after November 2009
Chrysler Sebring 4-door with optional electronic stability control
Dodge Avenger with optional electronic stability control
Mercedes C class
Subaru Legacy
Subaru Outback
Volkswagen Jetta sedan
Volkswagen Passat sedan
Volvo C30
The good news for them down the road is the bigger effort coming this fall.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
A five day partial sales suspension was enough to push the Chevrolet Malibu ahead of the Toyota Camry for the month of January, 2010.

Toyota Camry (inc. hybrid): 15,792

Other rivals:

Honda Accord: 19,022 (w/o Crosstour)
Nissan Altima: 18,636
Ford Fusion: 12,179
Chrysler Sebring: 3,593
Kia Optima: 3,162
Dodge Avenger: 3,134
Mercury Milan: 1,881
Wow it sucks to be Mercury. I personally like the looks of the Milan better then the Fusion, both 2009 and 2010. I would think that Ford could sell more of them.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.