GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of You guys claim that Chevys will become popular after rebadged Daewoos will be sold under Chevy name.I also heard opinions that "It will be profitable for GM";"Chevrolet will become a global brand" etc.
But I WILL NOT change my mind.As we already know GM can't sell Daewoos as Daewoos here in Poland,because there still exists a plant manufacturing Daewoo Matiz and Lanos.But I can't understand why they cannot offer Daewoos as Suzukis?
Suzuki is widely popular here,it has also many dealerships.It would be the cheapest and easiest solution. :argue:
Now imagine : in future a rich guy will want to buy a Vette(not offered here yet),he sees it standing next to a car that is driven by his servant,how will he feel?I am sure he would decide to buy a Mercedes.In my opinion Chevrolet as a brand will lose its prestige (Chevrolet limos used to be driven here by many celebrities before the war)Now people will associate Chevy with a very cheap brand as Fiat or Skoda.I am really mad bacause all my life I have been waiting for real American cars. :(

Ok,I am not able to change GM's stupid policy.
I am going to go to the official opening of my local dealership,I will take some pictures.

Today I took two pictures,but I didn't see the Daewoos.There are only some banners and a flag with a Chevy logo... ;)

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by powervette@May 13 2004, 02:12 PM
Now imagine : in future a rich guy will want to buy a Vette(not offered here yet),he sees it standing next to a car that is driven by his servant,how will he feel?I am sure he would decide to buy a Mercedes.In my opinion Chevrolet as a brand will lose its prestige (Chevrolet limos used to be driven here by many celebrities before the war)Now people will associate Chevy with a very cheap brand as Fiat or Skoda.
chevrolet in america doesn't have the prestige you're after. i think they've always managed to remain a solid, everymans vehicle, which isn't a bad thing. and a few models (like the vette and camaro) are certainly well-respected, but again as vehicles your everyday john q. public could aspire to. nothing too exotic or prestigious. now perhaps in the middle of europe chevrolet has a different flavour, and i can see that daewoo-chevs might dilute thimage. but that's less of a concern over here. the problem over here with the rebadged daewoos is of being less patriotic and not buying 'american' more than anything.

your 'servant' line made me laugh out loud! it really did! again, different worlds buddy!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I meant it used to be prestigous to drive a Chevy here BEFORE THE WAR,I know of course that Chevrolet is a mass-brand in the U.S :)

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Chevrolet is a mass-market brand in every country where it's sold. The Chevrolet brand is used to rebadge Opels for Mexico and South America...Daewoos in various parts of the world....Suzukis in Japan...Holdens in other areas. Chevrolet products are built and sold in Russia and China. And none of these markets, as far as I know, is the brand being touted as anything but mass-market.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.