1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Chevrolet Introduces Silverado WT Blackout Package
Leftlane News
February 20, 2015
By: Byron Hurd

Following on the heels of the higher-spec Silverado Midnight Edition, Chevrolet's Black Out package brings the same dark and sinister style to its Work Truck lineup.

Silverado WT Black Out models will have 20" black painted aluminum wheels, P275/55R20 all-season blackwall tires, deep tinted glass and black bowties.

The $1,595 package is available on both regular- and double-cab Work Truck models, and as the name suggests, can only be ordered in black.

This is not the first model Chevy has shown with the "Black Out" treatment. Earlier this year, we learned that the Impala Blackout concept shown at SEMA would get a limited production run as well.
This might be pretty sweet. I just built one for 33,060 w/ the 5.3L V8

·
Premium Member
9,040 Posts
I would have liked to see this in a regular cab configuration. It looks pretty good & with fewer options to choose from, this may be the closest we get to a 2wd performance truck from GM.

·
Premium Member
9,040 Posts
Its available as a regular cab as well. Just not Crew.
I was saying that I wanted to see a picture of the truck in regular cab form, even though that's not how I phrased it. I read the very short press release. As an aside I will say that the picture does make a good computer background.

smith7629 said:
Smart move. The price point and style will attract some buyers they've been missing.
Actually, I'd be interested in this. And, after looking at pictures of this & the Midnight edition Z71 shown weeks ago, I'd rather have this grille in the Midnight edition or the Custom Sport edition as well.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
In a sense the current WT is already 'blacked out' if you order it in black, as it has the black fascia and rear bumper. This is just adding big black wheels and tinted glass and black emblem.

Perusing autotrader recently I saw an "LS" (what used to be WT2 last year) with these big wheels, but in silver, and with chrome door handles and mirror caps.

Chevy is finally dolling up some of the lower level trims as we have been begging them to do for years (and as RAM has done since the Express model of 4 years ago).

·
Premium Member
9,040 Posts
Man, it seems like I've seen this before. Oh that's right, Ram did it already! :p:

Sorry, just had to, lol. Seems like anything they do anymore is in response to already existing models in other lineups. They could lead the market with a cheaper or sportier truck with the 6.2L... but nah, that'll never happen.
At least the Ram Express gave you some fancy LED lights for turn signals/brake lights, where the Silverado doesn't. And yes, it does appear that GM is just following the market. But by the time they offer these special models, customers have bought something from another manufacturer who did it before them. And I'm sure that we are all getting tired of the next special model being just an all black model.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
At least the Ram Express gave you some fancy LED lights for turn signals/brake lights, where the Silverado doesn't. And yes, it does appear that GM is just following the market. But by the time they offer these special models, customers have bought something from another manufacturer who did it before them. And I'm sure that we are all getting tired of the next special model being just an all black model.
This is true. I personally don't care for the black look either, but I do like the LED lighting front and rear on the Ram Black Express, and I do like that Ram has options for different tastes. I got interested in the Ram Express, then started liking the Big Horns, then ended up with a Ram Sport. All very different models and options, but I had a lot of choice. Had Chevrolet had these different models I would have looked at the lot longer, but when I was looking several months back, in the range I wanted I had the LT only as an option (no WT for me). Nothing else. Plus they wouldn't negotiate, they "could" get me $3k off. Now I see I can get $9k off locally. But yeah, classic case of a day late, and a dollar short.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I thought it was only the "Black Ram" that gave you the fancy-pants LEDs - it also had the 8" radio screen native to, I think SLT while regular Express got the 4" radio screen. I test drove a '14 and remember thinking they threw in a lot of extras for not that much on the Black Ram.
Actually the head and tail lights are direct take offs from the higher level Sport, exactly like mine. The Laramies also have the better lighting. The 8.4" screen is optional on the SLT and Big Horns I believe, not sure if available on the Express. The thing that had me move up level was I didn't like the one-piece plastic door panels of the Express, but for $26k, the Black Express with 395 hp Hemi is really hard to beat.

Reactions: KingElvis

·
Premium Member
9,040 Posts
I thought it was only the "Black Ram" that gave you the fancy-pants LEDs - it also had the 8" radio screen native to, I think SLT while regular Express got the 4" radio screen. I test drove a '14 and remember thinking they threw in a lot of extras for not that much on the Black Ram.
As hotrods has mentioned, the link shows the Black Express with the fancy LED lighting sets. I've forgotten most of what that package offered nor did I read it again, but it goes to show that it offered some substance for the special model, not just painting everything black.

Actually the head and tail lights are direct take offs from the higher level Sport, exactly like mine. The Laramies also have the better lighting. The 8.4" screen is optional on the SLT and Big Horns I believe, not sure if available on the Express. The thing that had me move up level was I didn't like the one-piece plastic door panels of the Express, but for $26k, the Black Express with 395 hp Hemi is really hard to beat.
I built & priced one on the Chevy website & the reg cab with a few good options (trailer tow pack, integrated trailer brakes, WT convenience pack, spray in bed liner, 5.3L) & pulled an MSRP of just under $31K. I still see that as a sizable chunk of change, even if it's an "average price" for the market. Now if Chevy wanted to slap $9K on the hood, I'd gladly roll out for $22K. That sounds like a better bargain than the Express.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
The special editions I have seen on my dealers lot arrive with 22" steel wheels. Then the tires are taken off and the LPO wheels are put on. I don't know if they ship the 22s back to the factory. They must be incredibly heavy"

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
It seemed like quite a deal for what you were getting. It was a 4wd Hemi 8spd, 8" screen and LEDs and like $36K list. FCA must have got a bunch of black paint cheap :)

·
Premium Member
9,040 Posts

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Instead of coming out with new appearance packages for the Silverado every other week, why doesn't GM work on a Raptor competitor? Enthusiasts would love to see a Silverado-based Raptor competitor.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,040 Posts
Instead of coming out with new appearance packages for the Silverado every other week, why doesn't GM work on a Raptor competitor? Enthusiasts would love to see a Silverado-based Raptor competitor.
GM exec: "But then, everyone will think that we are copying other brands."

Plus, these kinds of models fit in with someone else's post about GM going after the bread & butter market & leaving the enthusiasts to fend for themselves.

Fascinating. Why don't just put the 'real' wheels on that way on the line? I wonder if the 'not intended for extended use' is only because they have such a crazy high un-sprung weight.
It's not about the weight. If it was, you wouldn't see trucks lifted 2 feet & with big 35"/37" tires on them. Someone speculated that it had to do with a different company stamping them, so GM couldn't legally sell them for road use, since GM didn't get them approved by the DOT.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.