GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MotorTrend has an interesting article on page 40 of their April 2004 edition. It seems that while Toyota is dropping 5.3%, Honda is dropping 13.4%, and Ford is dropping 10.5%, Chevrolet is gaining 16.5%. MotorTrend says, "Chevrolet is outselling Ford, Honda, and Toyota in cars once again. What's going on? Quietly, Chevrolet has grabbed car market share from rivals with improved product, aggressive pricing, and strong incentives". That sounds good. Finally, someone recognizes that Chevrolet is having an American Revolution, while the other big 3 automakers (Honda, Toyota, Ford) are declining. Meanwhile, sales are going a lot different than usual. The compact van (minivan) happens to have increased by about over 7,000 in sales, while the entry/midsize SUV (which used to be popular) has declined about 15,000 in sales. Thats a 3.5% change in sales (going up) for the van and a 1.9% decline in sales for the midsize SUV's. This sudden change in sales might prove good for Chevrolet! The bad news is that Corvette has been decreasing in sales, while Nissan 350Z is decreasing also, and BMW Z4 is gaining! :eek:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Corvette sales decreasing is natural in a year of transition. People dont wana spend the money on C5's when for about 2k more they can get Z06 like performance, and in a vert.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
This is the first i'v herd of it. good for CHevy.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
I finally saw this info in black and white for myself...it almost brought a tear to my eye...even if it's only for the 1st few months of 2004, it was very cool to see Chevrolet seated as USA-1 again........I look to the future with hope. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Personally I think the Pontiac G6 will put Pontiac on the map again, and be a contender for top 5 selling midsize cars.

·
Registered
396 Posts
anyone care to notice the, "aggressive pricing, and strong incentives" part? chevy might be selling in volume again, but i think it's at a decreased profit compared to Honda and Toyota :(

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by mackingu@Mar 23 2004, 06:33 PM
anyone care to notice the, "aggressive pricing, and strong incentives" part? chevy might be selling in volume again, but i think it's at a decreased profit compared to Honda and Toyota :(
<_< I did notice that also... damn the discounting... :(

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm not too worried about the incentives, it makes awesome GM cars way cheaper for me to buy! And the general still makes profit so we all win.

·
Registered
396 Posts
*cough* profit?!?!?! you don't make profit by giving your stuff away for next to nothing, especially while you're still LOSING money, save for GMAC *cough*

that's a cool thought, banzai. :nods head in agreement:

:D

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
The profits may be low and the big boys may not be seeing those bonuses but the main thing is that there are more Chevys in the garages. Now, if they can stay there by being reliable is the next hurdle.
When Chevy is the car that the kids get and become attached to is the important point. Now, kids going off to college or just maturing to driving are going to select a car-that selection may have dad and mom involved (relibility and value creep in). So, instead of the Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla getting the nod, maybe the pendulum will swing to the Cavaliers and such.
Hasn't this been GM's ideology from GM's birth? Start the customer off in a Chevy and move him along to the bigger cars as he bcomes older and more prosperous.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Mar 23 2004, 10:29 PM
Personally I think the Pontiac G6 will put Pontiac on the map again, and be a contender for top 5 selling midsize cars.
I agree. The G6 has got to be one of the best looking cars that GM has introduced. I can't wait to see them! Especially the coupe and convertable.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Mar 24 2004, 03:34 AM
Hasn't this been GM's ideology from GM's birth? Start the customer off in a Chevy and move him along to the bigger cars as he bcomes older and more prosperous.
The sloan system is over with. It worked back in the 40's, 50's and 60's when competition was minimal, but now its different. I posted a good article in the suggestion board.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts