GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121562347726739671.html

The Chevrolet Impala is the most popular large car in the U.S., with 138,952 sales in the first six months of 2008.

It made the Wall Street Journal's HOT OFF THE LOT listing for June coming in at number 9 with a turn rate of just 25 days.

Some Impala facts from the Journal:

Most Popular Color: Silver

Top Model Traded In: Chevrolet Impala

Most popular loan term: 72 Months

Buyers Age Range:
16-35: 12.90%
36-55: 38.40%
56+: 48.80%

Buyers Gender:
Female: 37.50%
Male: 62.50%

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Impala must be popular - On July 8th, GM cut the cash rebate by 60% here in New York!

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
On my way home last weekend, I was doing about 90 mph the whole way, and the only car that passed me was a white Impala SS.

It looked totally stock except for smoked tail lights, and later I found out that they had those under body light effects...but other than that, it was stock with the aluminum SS wheels.

That was a nice looking car. I can see myself driving one of those instead of a pickup pretty easily....and 24-25 mpg highway would be an improvement, and very welcome in a 300 horsepower car.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
What's even more shocking from the link is to find the average price that was paid for a Prius at $26,672. And that's an average. I'll reserve further comment. :D

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
The Oshawa plant that is building them has trouble keeping up with supply and have many doing overtime in order to keep up the numbers.

·
Banned
1,845 Posts
I like the looks of some of the newer Impalas, I can see why.
As for the Prius, I've mentioned to someone here that they cost generally $24k and I got bitched out.

Hehe, I wish I remebered who that was so I could link this article, as they were like YOU CAN GET ONE FOR $19K MORON!.

Lol.. riiiight.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,109 Posts
The Impala must be popular - On July 8th, GM cut the cash rebate by 60% here in New York!
Not just Impala... the basic rebate on a Cobalt is down to $1K, plus another $500 if you let them scam you on a trade.

Far cry from the $2500 I got last year, but that what happens when you follow the lemmings off the cliff...

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I like the looks of some of the newer Impalas, I can see why.
As for the Prius, I've mentioned to someone here that they cost generally $24k and I got bitched out.

Hehe, I wish I remebered who that was so I could link this article, as they were like YOU CAN GET ONE FOR $19K MORON!.

Lol.. riiiight.
Yeah, after the mandatory mark up by Gulf States Toyota, and the dealer mark up, I don't think anyone could get one for $19k. You can barely get a Corolla for $19k here in Houston. Every single Corolla that i've seen on the lots has a price addendum from Gulf States with paint and fabric protection, cheap aftermarket wheels and some added warranty protection. Does anyone in the U.S. not pay for Gulf States Toyota mark ups or is it just a regional thing (Gulf Coast)?

The Impala hit a sweet spot for a lot of buyers. It's interesting that such a dated car keeps attracting so many people. It's good news in an otherwise terrible market.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Amazing, and to think at one point GM was ready to treat the Impala like Ford did its Taurus.

The Impala has good styling and a refresh/redesign that was extensive enough to attract me to it not long ago. GM could have gone cheaper and done what it did to the Monte Carlo by failing to update the MC's swoopy many-years-old interior door panels and bizarre rear end. Or what it did with the CSV minivans, leaving the rear ends unchanged.

The investment in keeping the Impala relevant on all fronts, with the exception of, perhaps, very old underpinnings, is what has kept it a stong selling car.

What GM got right:

• A flex fuel capable, variable-valve-timing enhanced 3.5LOHV V6 with great highway fuel economy at the low end, not a cheap Chinese 3400 from 1996 or even a 2-year older last-gen 3500. Nothing "cheap" or "old" or "re-used" about the engine. Like the car, it got a redesign all around.
  • Modern, yet reserved/conservative styling all around. Character lines and creases in the sheetmetal where they needed to be, not smooth and 1990s roundish like, say, the Cobalt.
  • Flip and fold versatile rear seating with plastic trays for stowing dirty stuff, instead of just whatever limitations the last model had (Lucerne, which has no fold down rear seating, like my 2000 Bonneville G-body). Not sure if they still offer the plastic tray options, but it was cool and more than I expected from the "boring sedan" Impala.
  • Keeping the bench seat and column shifter options for people who still want that.
  • Good incentives, good sticker pricing, and unusually good GM card redemption limits (usually around $2,000). These help offset the not-so-great resale value.

If GM had skimped even just a little, by just tweaking the old interior, changing the sheet metal just a bit and saying "that should be good enough" and calling it a day, it would be fading away and forgotten, left to rental fleets.

I hope GM takes this experience to heart for every refresh/redesign it does from here on out. They could have tried to milk the cash cow and leave it alone, but the investment they made instead payed off more than underinvesting ever could have saved them.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
On my way home last weekend, I was doing about 90 mph the whole way, and the only car that passed me was a white Impala SS.
and 24-25 mpg highway would be an improvement, and very welcome in a 300 horsepower car
Don't count on those mileage numbers at those speeds. ;)

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
I think everyone should take notice of the resale value of this product.

Compare a 1 year old model's resale value in 2007 with a 1 year old model in 2008. It went from worst to "solid".

Then do the same thing with a Chevrolet Silverado and you will see what I mean about fuel prices effecting depreciation of some of these cars.

Ford Taurus? What's that?
It's probably a better car, but it doesn't have the gas mileage or appeal that the Impala has, therefore it doesn't sell nearly as well.
I still love it when an American car whips on on an Avalon or Maxima, but I'd hate to see a good effort like the Five Hundred or Taurus get such little attention. They are not enthusiast's cars, but they are still very under-rated.

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ford Taurus? What's that?
It's probably a better car, but it doesn't have the gas mileage or appeal that the Impala has, therefore it doesn't sell nearly as well.
I still love it when an American car whips on on an Avalon or Maxima, but I'd hate to see a good effort like the Five Hundred or Taurus get such little attention. They are not enthusiast's cars, but they are still very under-rated.
This may change your mind:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-taurus-2010.html

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
The Impala's a good car, I've looked at a few myself during my "Holy crap I need a FlexFuel car or I'm going to go insane paying for gas" phase. The only thing I don't like is the bench seats in the front, but I've found a few with just the center console.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Amazing, and to think at one point GM was ready to treat the Impala like Ford did its Taurus.

The Impala has good styling and a refresh/redesign that was extensive enough to attract me to it not long ago. GM could have gone cheaper and done what it did to the Monte Carlo by failing to update the MC's swoopy many-years-old interior door panels and bizarre rear end. Or what it did with the CSV minivans, leaving the rear ends unchanged.

The investment in keeping the Impala relevant on all fronts, with the exception of, perhaps, very old underpinnings, is what has kept it a stong selling car.

What GM got right:

• A flex fuel capable, variable-valve-timing enhanced 3.5LOHV V6 with great highway fuel economy at the low end, not a cheap Chinese 3400 from 1996 or even a 2-year older last-gen 3500. Nothing "cheap" or "old" or "re-used" about the engine. Like the car, it got a redesign all around.
  • Modern, yet reserved/conservative styling all around. Character lines and creases in the sheetmetal where they needed to be, not smooth and 1990s roundish like, say, the Cobalt.
  • Flip and fold versatile rear seating with plastic trays for stowing dirty stuff, instead of just whatever limitations the last model had (Lucerne, which has no fold down rear seating, like my 2000 Bonneville G-body). Not sure if they still offer the plastic tray options, but it was cool and more than I expected from the "boring sedan" Impala.
  • Keeping the bench seat and column shifter options for people who still want that.
  • Good incentives, good sticker pricing, and unusually good GM card redemption limits (usually around $2,000). These help offset the not-so-great resale value.

If GM had skimped even just a little, by just tweaking the old interior, changing the sheet metal just a bit and saying "that should be good enough" and calling it a day, it would be fading away and forgotten, left to rental fleets.

I hope GM takes this experience to heart for every refresh/redesign it does from here on out. They could have tried to milk the cash cow and leave it alone, but the investment they made instead payed off more than underinvesting ever could have saved them.
I agree with most of what you said Ming, but I would submit that if Chevy is going to have continued success with the Impala, it needs a refresh and soon if this generation is going to have to live on until 2012! It's just a little bland to stay on the radar screen much longer in it's current form.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
The Impala is a very solid car. My buddy owned and 07 LT3 and has an 06 LT3 as a company car. I rented two, an 06 LS and an 08 LT. I was amazed at the highway fuel economy with the LS and LT cars and the performance of the two LT3 cars with there 3900 V6 engines. We both agree that the base Impala needs the split folding rear seat, lighted visor mirrors, dual rear map pockets, a glove box light and floor shift indicators as std equipment along with ABS brakes to move this car a bit more upscale avove the base Malibu which has ABS/stability control, split rear seats and floor shift indicators as std fare. Chevy could also very easily fix the rear seat issue by removing the silly bottom skirt under the front seat so your toes have space and by slimming the front seats out for more room.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I am looking at possibly picking up an LTZ in the next month or two. Have to test one first but it's a nice car for the money. 0-72 here in Ontario for the car but I don't think I will go longer than 60 months.

The Canadian governemnt is also offering $1000 rebate for flexfuel 08's.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts