GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sifting through one of the sites linked from there, I've found an interesting "self-review" entry in a Dutch site, by a certain Mr. H.S. de Vries Robles. As you'd expect, Mr. H.S. de Vries Robles is not your ordinary 9-to-5 commuter in his beloved small-burgeois-dream slightly used VW Golf. Mr. H.S. de Vries Robles drives a classic Maserati Quattroporte (the original, Frua-designed one, created by comission of Prince Aga Khan IV).

As a thrifty Dutchman he has, though, supplemented his collection of two Maseratis (a nifty 430 was probably there for the occasional grocery shopping by the maid) with a frugal three-litre BMW, refitted to run on LPG, as 99% non-diesel cars in the Netherlands are (the remaining 1% are the two Maseratis).

An unfortunal interlude to the story is an apparently fatal accident in which the BMW got rear-ended - fatal for the BMW, but fortunately not for Mr H.S. de Vries Robles. He needed a daily driver fitting his humble requirements (after all, he endured the down-to-earth) BMW, so he settled to replace it with a... V250 Chevrolet Epica!

He was kind enough to share his views on driving the Epica for 50,000 kms with us - for those of you who don't comprehend Dutch, I've prepared an automated translation, which is fairly accurate:

http://66.102.9.104/translate_c?hl=...ww.autoweek.nl/myreviewautodata.php?id=18544#

Whatever you say, to impress a driver such as Mr. H.S. de Vries Robles is quite a feat, so I guess it's yet another quiet victory for GM's undefvalued hero.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
"On the highway I usually hold between 125 and 130 mph."

What?????

FWIW, original Dutch text:

"Op de snelweg houd ik meestal tussen de 125 en 130 km/u aan."

The guy who programmed that translating software needs to be shot in the head and replaced with someone who understands that you cannot simply "translate" units into the standard units of the target language without also changing the numerical value (i.e. doing a proper conversion).

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
"On the highway I usually hold between 125 and 130 mph."

What?????

FWIW, original Dutch text:

"Op de snelweg houd ik meestal tussen de 125 en 130 km/u aan."

The guy who programmed that translating software needs to be shot in the head and replaced with someone who understands that you cannot simply "translate" units into the standard units of the target language without also changing the numerical value (i.e. doing a proper conversion).
Can't get over this. It's completely priceless.

Imagine the endless possibilities......

"La consommation d'essence de ma petite Renault Clio est 5 litres/100 km"

Translation from France French to American English:

"The fuel economy I get with my small Renault Clio is 5 mpg."

"Hacer el lleno de mi Chevrolet Silverado me cuesta 1,000 pesos (mas o menos)"

Translation from Mexican Spanish to American English:

"Filling up the fuel tank in my Chevy Silverado costs approximately $1,000 USD."

etc.

:lmao:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.