GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/09/chevy-cruze-to-be-built-in-lordstown/

Workers at GM's Lordstown, OH plant just got another shot of good news from the General: the next-gen compact car from Chevrolet will be built there. The Chevy Cruze will replace the Cobalt, which recently had a third shift added to its production, and will make its initial debut at the Paris Motor Show in October. Europeans will get the first shot at the new car with sales beginning in April of 2009. The U.S. won't get the car until the following year, as the Lordstown plant begins phasing out the Cobalt and ramping up production of the Cruze in June of 2010. Both cars will be built simultaneously for a short time, according to UAW Local 1714 President Dave Green, who represents the workers at the Lordstown assembly plant.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So does this mean that Lordstown will be building the Cruze for export to Europe? It sounds like Lords' will be building the cars for Europe and then as production goes into full swing they will be building it for NA as well. Am I mistaken? If I understand correctly, this will be a great day for Lordstown.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So does this mean that Lordstown will be building the Cruze for export to Europe? It sounds like Lords' will be building the cars for Europe and then as production goes into full swing they will be building it for NA as well. Am I mistaken? If I understand correctly, this will be a great day for Lordstown.
Sure sounds like it. I really hope this car is a big hit, it's what GM needs right now.
And hey, if it's priced right, there may be a Cruze in my future...I was having misgivings when it was planned for production in Mexico.

·
Registered
158 Posts
why wouldn't the cruze be built for NA first instead of Europe, or at least have them available for both at the same time? does it have something to do with the cobalt and it's existance and production commitments???

i would think the NA market needs the car before Europe!

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I still dont understand why they are changing the name! right when people actually know what a Cobalt is. But its cool the car is being built here in the states for sale at home and overseas!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
why wouldn't the cruze be built for NA first instead of Europe, or at least have them available for both at the same time? does it have something to do with the cobalt and it's existance and production commitments???

i would think the NA market needs the car before Europe!
I would rather they start delivering to Europe first. That way they can work out all the kinks that first year models tend to have, and the U.S. consumers get a better first impression with the car.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I still dont understand why they are changing the name! right when people actually know what a Cobalt is. But its cool the car is being built here in the states for sale at home and overseas!
I think they wanted a single, global name to sell in every market. This is the same thing Toyota does with the Camry and Corolla.

·
Registered
123 Posts

I don't think so, at least as far as the article goes.

"Europeans will get the first shot at the new car with sales beginning in April of 2009. The U.S. won't get the car until the following year, as the Lordstown plant begins phasing out the Cobalt and ramping up production of the Cruze in June of 2010"

Kind of hard to sell in EU in April of 09 if you don't start building in theUS till June of 10. :rolleyes: I would think, therefore that there will be European production. I could have mis-understood the article, your mileage may vary.
Still, exports from NA are not that farfetched, with the dollar in the dumper and all.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I do wish we would get it sooner rather than later. What makes Europe so much better that they should get it first?

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I wonder how long they will end up building Cobalts and Cruzes side by side...
Coblat Classic?

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Ban and delete happening in 3....2....1......

I hate the name, why are we jumping from name to name again, throwing away the little goodwill that the Cobalt name already has earned for a lame new name.

This is typical bad GM thinking...

I'll bet that they will drop the Cobalt name for the Cruze so they can have a "one namplate" in all markets theme and the still have the next gen LaCrosse sold as an Allure in Canada, mark my words, they can be that stupid sometimes.

Cobalt works in the US, it's building a good rep, dont trash that for yet another new namplate that the stupid public has to re-learn and get re-introduced to.

One of the reasons that people flock to nameplates like Civic, Accord, Corolla and Camry is because they know them, they are familiar with them, they know what to expect. The baby of that group is Camry, and its 24 years old!

Why dont they get that, it's easier to improve a nameplate than to kill it an launch a new one, there actually should have not been a Cobalt, they should have kept the Cavalier name, same for G5, G6 and and G8(why is the Vibe still the Vibe by the way?) and all the Buicks.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
Isn't the Cruze a Suzuki? or am I confusing myself?

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,113 Posts
I think they wanted a single, global name to sell in every market. This is the same thing Toyota does with the Camry and Corolla.
Trying to decide if the Name That Means Nothing is preferable to the Alphanumeric Thing That Means Nothing....

·
Registered
384 Posts
I didn't think that there was a problem with the Cavalier name. Cobalt doesn't mean anything and Cruze, although it seems (to me) to denote fuel economy, it's worse than Cobalt. If I'm right then I understand what the higher-ups are trying to do, but they need a better name.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts