GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/22/volt-ss-chevrolet-considering-turbocharged-1-4-liter-for-volt/

The Chevrolet Volt mystery may have unfolded just a bit more as GM-Volt.com is reporting that GM CEO Rick Wagoner has confirmed that the General is considering a 1.4L four cylinder engine for the production Volt. So far, nothing official has been announced, but the decision to use the 1.4L engine would make plenty of financial sense. After all, it's the same engine that is expected to power the first-generation Chevy Cruze, which may actually follow the Volt to market. Both the Volt and the Cruze will sit atop the next Delta platform, another bit of cost savings. We'd imagine that Chevy could drop the turbocharger and run the engine on the Atkinson cycle while still making plenty of power for this application.

GM has promised fuel mileage of around 50 mpg when operating in range-extended mode as the engine provides the power for the electric motor's operation. Equivalent miles per gallon will be highly dependent on the final output of the lithium battery pack, and the engine still won't be required for the first 40 miles of operation. What's more, the internal combustion engine will have little to do with actual performance numbers like acceleration or top speed. Therefore, we don't really care what engine GM chooses for the Volt so long as its original mileage targets aren't sacrificed along the way.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Interesting. I suppose using the 1.4L would help keep manufacturing and R&D costs down, but its like the article points out, it doesn't matter what engine the Volt has (there's a new kind of statement) since the engine will only act to recharge the electric motor. Maybe GM has figured out how to tune the 1.4 for the most efficient operation so the 1.0L 3-cyl. isn't necessary to achieve the Volt's mileage targets. In the end, the consumer won't care what engine the Volt has, as long as they can get those mileage figures.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It sounds like the upcoming 1.4L 4-cyl will be GMs new 3800. Almose every car in every almost range will get it. With an estimated 40+ mpg it sounds like a good idea.

Hmmm . . . Would it move a Roach? :)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Interesting. I suppose using the 1.4L would help keep manufacturing and R&D costs down, but its like the article points out, it doesn't matter what engine the Volt has (there's a new kind of statement) since the engine will only act to recharge the electric motor. Maybe GM has figured out how to tune the 1.4 for the most efficient operation so the 1.0L 3-cyl. isn't necessary to achieve the Volt's mileage targets. In the end, the consumer won't care what engine the Volt has, as long as they can get those mileage figures.
Cary, NC eh ? Me too...

So do you think ole Brad Cooper dun it ?

·
Registered
214 Posts
thats wut's going to drive this vehicle either into sale's or into the bucket. I hope the hype they gave it doesn't bite them in the A$$ and can get us a good clean running hybrid.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Interesting, but wouldn't it be a bit larger and heavier?

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,109 Posts
We'd imagine that Chevy could drop the turbocharger and run the engine on the Atkinson cycle while still making plenty of power for this application.
Maybe... but if there was ever a candidate for HCCI this is it...

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
Oh please.
The title might as well read

"Chevrolet Considering 1.4L Turbocharged Engine for the Easter Bunny".
or
"Chevrolet collaborating with Santa Claus on a 1.4L Turbo"
or
"Loch Ness monster spotted with Chevy 1.4L Turbo".

Give it up. The Volt is never going to be produced.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
I thought the Volt was going to get like 150mpg on range extended mode?
During the EPA test, when you average the 40 miles of zero gas consumption with the post-battery 50 mpg gas consumption, you end up with something close to 150 mpg. As the laws of physics have not yet been repealed, I doubt anyone suggested that the Volt could go 150 miles with a drained battery and one gallon of gasoline.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I thought the headling would read:

"Chevrolet Considering 1.4L Turbocharged Engine for Volt - gives up on electric motor."

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
The interesting thing about the Volt is that the gas engine can theoretically run at near constant speed (since it isn't powering the car, just charging the batteries). The engine can then be tuned for a very narrow operating range, making it very efficient.

I imagine that the 1.4 (with or without the turbo) is large enough to be able to run at a fairly low RPM, meaning less friction (for efficiency) and less noise and vibration.

Since the engine will already be used in the same platform, it probably saves money ... but makes me wonder where the battery and electric motors will go (perhaps packaged to fit in the space where the transaxle usually goes?)

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
They don't have to turbocharge it if it's going in the Volt. I can't see a reason that they would. This article gives the impression that the Volt will get a turbo boost when you floor it or something, which is ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
So if the engine only has to run at a constant speed to charge the batteries, and therefor can ge optimized to run in a small range of rpms, doesn't it make sense to use an "old tech" pushrod style engine which generates more power at low rpms? Cause surely you don't want to waste energy getting the engine up to high revs for "maximum efficiency". Right?

·
Banned
1,845 Posts
If they do use that 1.4 Turbo, It would be very overkill for power output. I couldn't imagine going into and staying into boost for constant operation would be very fuel efficent.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
So if the engine only has to run at a constant speed to charge the batteries, and therefor can ge optimized to run in a small range of rpms, doesn't it make sense to use an "old tech" pushrod style engine which generates more power at low rpms? Cause surely you don't want to waste energy getting the engine up to high revs for "maximum efficiency". Right?
Placement of cams is irrelevent. It's the lobe profiles and valve sizes. Push-rods are only tuned for low-end torque because they don't flow well at a high RPM (only two valves). Cam phasers and variable intake manifolds can (and do) make just as much on the low-end as push-rods.

HCCI or diesel is the smart option here.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts

You're assuming that it would need to run at high RPMs. GM was intending to use a 1.0L 3-cyl. intially. The 1.4L 4-cyl. would be a significant improvement and would "sweat" a lot less, if there is any hard work required just to charge the batteries. Besides, how many compact OHV motors does GM have anymore? I guess they could break out the design for the Iron Duke Tech 4. After all, GM doesn't want to disappoint the Import-loving magazines and not give them a reason to criticize them for using an old engine? Maybe get Briggs and Stratton to supply an OHV lawnmower engine? :D

Of course, there must be some kind of hard work involved, or GM could have just opted for a Suzuki-built 660cc engine, small, inexpensive and proven.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts