GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Everyone says it looks ugly. Come on, can't you at least say GM tried.

I think, in my own words, the Cobalt is better than any Cavalier in its past. You can tell GM used the Astra to create this vehicle. The 04' astra looks ugly, but the Cobalt looks awesomely good. The interior is nice. Unlike Buick Terraza/Saturn Relay, the interior & exterior designers did a good job. I have asked some youngsters about to buy the car and they have said it is a pretty good looking car.

Anyone have any engine information, though?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I am 17 and i love this new car i was going to look at the civic this fall even though i love gm cars just because they had no good small cars to offer but i love the coblat and this is on the top of my priority ist now i hope the SS version comes out this fall as well. this car has great potental to be a strong competetor to the civic atleast thats what my friends and my self think. good job chevy. i hope they come out with a lot of aftermarket parts for this car.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro@Dec 29 2003, 04:28 AM
Looks like an Ion but uglier.
Chevy really needs to rethink their grilles.
Obviously you've never seen a Ford Focus before. The true definition of ugliness

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by chadbarb99+Dec 29 2003, 07:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chadbarb99 @ Dec 29 2003, 07:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mr_Pringle@Dec 29 2003, 12:34 PM
Engine information can be found in this article.
According to Car and Driver, the superchaged version will only be 200HP [/b][/quote]
well, if they say it, its got to be gospel.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Originally posted by bryce miller@Dec 29 2003, 07:51 PM
I am 17 and i love this new car i was going to look at the civic this fall even though i love gm cars just because they had no good small cars to offer but i love the coblat and this is on the top of my priority ist now i hope the SS version comes out this fall as well. this car has great potental to be a strong competetor to the civic atleast thats what my friends and my self think. good job chevy. i hope they come out with a lot of aftermarket parts for this car.
It's my understanding that all auto makers, GM included, are paying more attention to the tuner market *not* because they care about performance and asthetics, per se, but because there are big, fat profits to be made on aftermarket parts. From what I've read, cars like the Cobalt are being designed specifically with aftermarket tuners in mind, so there can be a quicker, wider distribution of add-ons for the tuner crowd. For examples, check out the Hummer and Pontiac web sites; you can see an ever-growing menu of all sorts of extra doo-dads that you can stick on, under, over and in your GM car/truck. Seems to make sense to me...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Even though others may feel different about the Cobalt - I myself am drawn towards the coupe in (no pun intended) cobalt blue. I think it might be safe to say i'm the only one on GMI who likes the Cobalt coupe.

Now that i look at it more - I'm begining to see less Mercury Cougar and more Acura RSX. As i am currently aware of (unless things have changed recently other wise) - in the tuner/ricer world - the RSX is held in the minds of those as being a psuedo sports car. Ricers like it because it revs to 8K rmp's (and that = mAD fasT!! :lol:) - Tuners like it because Honda/Acura has a massive aftemaket behind it. GM is trying to mirror that - and i hope it's recived well at NAIAS.

The problem for me is that if i can't get a crate LS1 for my super-duper hyper-fast LG4 camaro <_< - then i may have to look into either an Ion quad coupe or (until recently) a Cobalt.

·
Registered
533 Posts
i'm betting they'll look better in person...overall, better than the cars they're replacing and even a bit Honda-esque. Very nice, not a home run, but a solid double to the gap in right.... :drevil:

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is going a long way to explaining why GM makes the same mistakes over and over. Not to put too fine a point on it, they keep listening to too many "GM enthusiasts" to make the right kind of car. At the risk of sounding too harsh, I see over and over comments like "If this car had a 400HP V8 I'd buy it but not until". Let me be a little up front here about certain things....I used to sell Pontiac/Buick/GMC/Cadillac products (until 2 weeks ago...health reasons), and I live in Canada. Everyone knows that Canada is very heavily biased towards small cars as a rule, and I'm no exception.

Frankly, Sunfires, although a good car for most people, suck in the face of almost every competitor GM has (likewise Cavalier). Anyone who works at a GM dealership knows this. Hell, GM even had a "lets reclaim the leadership" sort of thing at product knowledge seminars, so it's safe to say they know this too. The one HUGE, glaring, inexcusable gap in thier lineup is a serious, quality small car. Before the howls of protest start keep in mind that GM has acknowledged this for a long long time, spouting some kind of "Domestic buyers don't like small cars" sort of tripe. This is pretty much a self fulfilling prophesy, as there are no small Domestic cars worth buying right now (er... a year or so ago). The Cobalt is frankly a decent little car as far as I can tell so far. Hell, the thing has leather seats available!!

More or less my point is this....GM has LET everyone else take the percentage of the market that likes small cars (because people don't want those you know), and fallen so far behind they'll be playing catch up for years. Meanwhile, now the competition has the small market sewn up, they're moving on to lux, and mid size sedan, and now (gasp) trucks....full size ones at that. And don't think GM ain't scairt of the Nissan...they are....and have said so publicly, and they should be.

There's a rule in car sales.....actually a Maxim....goes something like this....

"Stay off price, show value, make them love the car....the rest will take care of itself" Long and short of it....if you have to discount you are doing something wrong...you should never sell on price (OK....maybe if you're WalMart). Anyone care to venture a guess as to what it is that sells every single GM model right now?
(Cadillac not included BTW)

The Cobalt is neccessary...even Vital. Not everything has to have a thousand HP. I will test it, and if it rides well, looks and feels good, gets good mileage, and has enough torque to have a little fun then I'll buy it. I just hope to God they aren't using the same struts as the Cav/Sfire...... <_<

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just gonna said, I like the Cobalt. I will buy it any day, before even thinking on buying an import. Finally the Cobalt is not perfect, but at least is a new choice on GM models. That alone is refreshing :lol:

·
Registered
475 Posts
God, I hope no one sets their sites on getting a Cobalt or similar car.

You buy a civic, Cobalt or any other ****box because for some reason you can't get a better car.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Originally posted by TAFreak+Dec 29 2003, 02:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TAFreak @ Dec 29 2003, 02:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Bitchin.[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-TAFreak
@Dec 31 2003, 09:55 PM
God, I hope no one sets their sites on getting a Cobalt or similar car.

You buy a civic, Cobalt or any other ****box because for some reason you can't get a better car.
[/quote]
Do you like it or not?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The two door isn't a bad looking little car.I hope it's well built if so GM will sell a lot of them. The cavalier was tired but was not a bad car and certainly didn't suck for the money they cost.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Originally posted by montguy215@Jan 2 2004, 04:10 AM
The two door isn't a bad looking little car.I hope it's well built if so GM will sell a lot of them. The cavalier was tired but was not a bad car and certainly didn't suck for the money they cost.
Amen. Lets hope that GM does not neglect the car and let 10 yrs go by before updating the Cobalt coz as I recall te Cavalier was pretty good when it debuted, but then got ignored while everyone updated and improved their compacts. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Guy in Speedo: "I dunno, I guess I could go for one of dem dang old new Cobalts. Kinda sporty in a dang ol FWD sorta way."

Hank: "I tell you what, these kids today just ain't right. They get all excited over a compact car when there are perfectly good used pickups for half the price. And how do they expect to go tailgating and enjoy some quality propane BBQ without a pickup?"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts