GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Looks pretty cool, I really like the Beat. All except for the wheel/wheel arches, the are both to small IMO. They need to open up the arches a little, and havbe a little larger wheel & tire. It like Geo Metro style in that manner (wheel & tire), bet everything else looks great!

·
Registered
555 Posts
U-G-L-Y

Unless gas hits $5/gal I think any microcar in the U.S. will be nothing more than a fad. Once the initial shipments of Smarts fulfills the existing orders they won't be able to give them away. Same for the Beat if they bring it over here.

All IMO of course...

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
I think it's the next Aveo.....maybe they will call it the beat or groove or whatever.

I think minicars are going to gain in popularity, but not at $14,000 a piece and they will pretty much only be to help them meet CAFE (The Car and Driver article on the Smart car was funny....32mpg in that tiny thing...pretty dumb to me). They will be the choice for those considering larger used cars....college kids and city dwellers who need a 2nd or 3rd vehicle. GM needs a diverse offering in this segment and they need to keep in mind that they won't sell in high volume. The Groove and Beat would both be great ideas if they can share parts and an assembly line so that, like the Solstice and Sky, they can cover a larger market with only one real model that sells 30,000 or so units a year each.

The Yaris (3 door) and the Fit (5 door) still rule this segment. The mini cooper is a fad.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Yeah, the Yaris is a nice car, and pretty inexpensive. Hyundai Accent hatchback is no slouch either, but gets pretty pricey in SE model.

I'm glad to see the Beat coming along, but I would like to see larger wheels. I suspect they'll be an option.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
I think it's the next Aveo.....maybe they will call it the beat or groove or whatever.

I think minicars are going to gain in popularity, but not at $14,000 a piece and they will pretty much only be to help them meet CAFE (The Car and Driver article on the Smart car was funny....32mpg in that tiny thing...pretty dumb to me). They will be the choice for those considering larger used cars....college kids and city dwellers who need a 2nd or 3rd vehicle. GM needs a diverse offering in this segment and they need to keep in mind that they won't sell in high volume. The Groove and Beat would both be great ideas if they can share parts and an assembly line so that, like the Solstice and Sky, they can cover a larger market with only one real model that sells 30,000 or so units a year each.

The Yaris (3 door) and the Fit (5 door) still rule this segment. The mini cooper is a fad.
How can you say that the Mini is a fad when it has been out longer then the Fit and Yaris. Logic would dictate that the Fit/Yaris would be considered the fad.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
This car will sell. Look how well the Aveo did. Many people like small cars in NA. I prefer small cars since I don't tow anything or have any people or kids to hall around (I am only 20). I say bravo.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

People buy Minis because they are a blast to drive. They handle like a go cart, gets decent gas milage, and accelerates well. You have to drive one before you can say it's a fad.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
How can you say that the Mini is a fad when it has been out longer then the Fit and Yaris. Logic would dictate that the Fit/Yaris would be considered the fad.
I think the HHR, PT Cruiser, and Mini (and all retro econo cars) are a fad.

I do agree that the Mini has it's virtues, but to me it doesn't justify the price. The Fit, to me, is the best in this market so far even if the Aveo sells really well (not that the Aveo is a bad car).

I've driven a Cooper S before. It drove well and seemed to be of very good quality, but those are the only good things that I have to say. It can at least fall back on that when the looks get old. It does have it's appeal, but once you get past the looks, it's just a really good economy car (but for $20,000). I think that if Honda put out a 3 door hatch, it would be just as good but cheaper.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
I preferred the Groove design, myself:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
U-G-L-Y

Unless gas hits $5/gal I think any microcar in the U.S. will be nothing more than a fad. Once the initial shipments of Smarts fulfills the existing orders they won't be able to give them away. Same for the Beat if they bring it over here.

All IMO of course...
the problem with the smart car is that from what ive read is hugely unrefined. and it gets pretty crappy mpg for what it is. think of this though, a two-mode beat would probably get some pretty sweet mpg's

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.