GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched Motor Week on Speed.

After testing all 4 vehicles (the Aveo was in hatch form), the Motor Week guys said:"But which one is for you? We were most smitten with the Chevrolet Aveo."

One of the things they praised it for was a quiet ride, and less engine noise than expected. Of course the 0-60 times and fuel economy were somewhat slanted, with the Echo having a manual transmission, and the Aveo with an automatic. But they took these differences into account I guess.

They also praised the Italdesign styling, and the cargo space when the rear seats were folded down in the hatch. Something tells me the "Hatch appeal" scored some points here - the sedan version isn't as attractive and wasn't penned by Italdesign, and probably had only mediocre trunk space for its class. Not sure on that, but I think the squat looking sedan (even if it is bigger) just doesn't look as good as, say, the Metro sedan did when compared to the Metro hatch.

I was sure that since the Echo was part of the competition that they were going to have it win (Toyota {or Honda} always wins, right?), and the Forenza seemed to be getting high grades during the review, but really isn't in the same class price-wise.

Anyways, good news for Chevy, and too bad for you guys who don't want a "cheap Korean car" under the Chevy umbrella. ;) :p :D

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't forget the Chevy Malibu also actually won a few comparos and actually beat the Camry in Car and Driver (or Road & Track, can't remember which) recently.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Feb 17 2004, 05:10 PM
Don't forget the Chevy Malibu also actually won a few comparos and actually beat the Camry in Car and Driver (or Road & Track, can't remember which) recently.
WHAT? really?!? that's awesome! just stopped by the local chev dealer at lunch and saw my first malibu maxx. VERY impressive. they really nailed the rear end. hope they sell loads of them.

(i'll refrain from wishing it was 5-speed and AWD and cheaper. though i do. :lol: )

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Feb 17 2004, 07:53 PM
Is the Aveo known under another name under the korean mfr?
;)
It will be known in my country as Chevy KALOS
the worst thing is that it already has a nickname-"KALOSZ "(kalosh)-what means
a boot made of rubber...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Malibu placed third in a Motortrend comparo, probably the one you are talking about.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by frenstall+Feb 17 2004, 08:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (frenstall @ Feb 17 2004, 08:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-69nova@Feb 17 2004, 02:53 PM
Is the Aveo known under another name under the korean mfr?
Isn't it the Suzuki Aerio? [/b][/quote]
nope. suzuki has it's own version of the ave/kaos... the swift. seems funny that suzuki would need two dinky little sedans/wagons (though the aveo is more powerful and has optional AWD).

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Ive been watching Motor Week for meny years sence there PBS days and I find there reporting to be more FAIR then all the others.They dont have AS MUTCH of a preconseaved series of opinions/biasies as the others when it comes to domestic makes. ;)

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488@Feb 17 2004, 04:56 PM
nope. suzuki has it's own version of the ave/kaos... the swift. seems funny that suzuki would need two dinky little sedans/wagons (though the aveo is more powerful and has optional AWD).
I think your model names are a little screwed up.

Suzuki has an Aerio (Sedan and Hatch) and a Swift+ (Hatch only)

The Swift+ is the same as the Chevy Aveo (former Daewoo product).

The Aerio has optional AWD.
The Swift+ does not.

The Aerio has a 155hp 2.3l engine
The Swift+ has a 103hp 1.6l engine

Aerio:

Swift+:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ha....and I was sure that Suzuki would use the Daewoo Kalos' front end.... :(

·
Registered
393 Posts
Was working at a Chevy dealer yesterday, in Port Hope Ontario,
They had an Aveo in the showroom with a hatchback, auto, etc and it listed at $18500.00 before taxes
Who will it at that price!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider+Feb 17 2004, 09:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rex Raider @ Feb 17 2004, 09:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-paul8488@Feb 17 2004, 04:56 PM
I think your model names are a little screwed up.

Suzuki has an Aerio (Sedan and Hatch) and a Swift+ (Hatch only)

The Swift+ is the same as the Chevy Aveo (former Daewoo product).

The Aerio has optional AWD.
The Swift+ does not.

The Aerio has a 155hp 2.3l engine
The Swift+ has a 103hp 1.6l engine

Aerio:

Swift+:
[/b][/quote]
oh man yeah i really did screw up those names! k that's the last time i try and help! )i still don't see the need for both the aerio and swift+ wagons... so close in size. i'd think it'd make more sense to have a cheaper, less powerful aerio. but who asked me, right?!?)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Originally posted by airbalancer@Feb 18 2004, 12:53 PM
They had an Aveo in the showroom with a hatchback, auto, etc and it listed at $18500.00 before taxes
18,500.00 Canada Dollars = 14,108.60 United States Dollars so that is only 4,000 in options!

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by airbalancer@Feb 18 2004, 12:53 PM
as with the old metro/firefly/swift, i think the keyy to these cars is the base model. start adding options and you're approaching the starting price of some other cars that come standard with those extras. i think a base 5-speed aveo is a fine deal... but add auto and air and power options... yikes!

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
But he's trying to say that at $18500, it's not such an economy car anymore.

You could get a 2 year old fully loaded Grand Am for about that much (or less).
Which car would you rather have?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Feb 18 2004, 02:31 PM
But he's trying to say that at $18500, it's not such an economy car anymore.

You could get a 2 year old fully loaded Grand Am for about that much (or less).
Which car would you rather have?
i thought i was agreeing with him! at $18,500 it ISN'T an economy car, whereas at $13,820 (GM website) it is. i'd rather have the 2 year old grand am at $18,500... but i'd be okay paying $13,820 for a brand new base model aveo.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
They didn't state a true winner on the Motor Week show but the Aveo did quite well and I hope they work out.

Yesterday I saw a Lemans (former Daewoo product sold by Pontiac) that I sold in 94 and it was still on the road and no rust. But they were a hard sell in the 90's because they were so different than what the normal GM customer was used to. At the time you could sell a Sunbird for about the same price or just a bit more.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts