GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DETROIT - Chevrolet Silverado is again raising the bar for full-size, light-duty pickup comfort and roominess, with new 2004 half-ton 1500 Series Silverado Crew Cabs. The new models also continue to provide all the segment-leading quality, dependability and capability for which Silverado is noted.

The half-ton Crew Cabs are available in two- and four-wheel drive with uplevel LS and LT trim and in a specially equipped Z71 Off-Road model. Manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for the two-wheel-drive Silverado LS starts at $31,145, including an $850 destination charge.

"The 1500 Series Silverado Crew Cabs provide Chevrolet traditional tough, rugged dependability, but do so with the convenience of four full-sized doors and a new dimension of ride and maneuverability," said Rick Scheidt, Chevrolet Silverado marketing director. "With them, our light-duty lineup now offers three cab types and three box lengths to accommodate almost any customer need."

The 1500 Series Crew Cabs has four full doors, five- or six-passenger seating with full second-row seats and a new 5-foot, 8-inch cargo box. The cargo box has an ample 49.6 cubic feet of space, almost as much as the regular bed, and provides easy handling, parking and garageability.

The Crew Cabs' great driver and passenger environment provides more headroom than any competitor and the same generous shoulder room in both the first and second rows. Second-row seats also provide 1.5 inches more hip room (than the front) and nearly as much legroom. The interior has a total 122.6 cubic feet of volume.

LS and LT models have a standard premium Z85 suspension package with 36-mm gas-charged shocks, tuned for the same smooth, quiet ride as a Chevrolet Tahoe SUV and outstanding body roll control during trailering or heavy hauling.

The Z71's suspension includes 46-mm shocks, retuned with new valving for optimal ride and isolation. Other special standard features include off-road jounce bumpers; specific stabilizer bars; a skid plate package and high capacity air cleaner; a standard rear locking differential (available on LS and LT) for superior traction to all four wheels, when required; a 3.73:1 axle ratio (4.10:1 ratio available), wheel flares; 17-inch polished aluminum wheels; P265/70R-17 on/off road radials; and fog lamps.

Superior capability
Half-ton Crew Cabs have GM's powerful Vortec 5300 V-8, with 295 horsepower and 330 lb.-ft of torque, and a smooth shifting Hydra-Matic 4L60-E four-speed automatic with tow-haul mode as their standard powertrain. Their superior capabilities include:

The highest available payload for any light-duty Crew Cab - 1,854 and 1,756 pounds, respectively, for two- and four-wheel-drive models;
Trailer ratings of up to 8,500 and 7,800 pounds respectively for two- and four-wheel-drive models, topping those of their leading competitor;
Standard AutoTrac on four-wheel-drive models, superior to that of their nearest competitor's four-wheel-drive system because it automatically adjusts between two- and four-wheel-drive, as required.
Standard traction assist to improve the surefootedness of two-wheel-drive models;
Standard four-wheel ABS disc brakes with Dynamic Rear Proportioning, providing quick, controlled stops;
A standard 26-gallon fuel tank, which provides over 500 miles' cruising range on two-wheel-drive models, for example. The fuel system meets new LEVII evaporative emission requirements.
High value and comfort
Silverado Crew Cabs are replete with standard features for more comfort, convenience and exceptional value. The lowest-price LS, for example, has standard deluxe cloth seats and a 40/20/40 split-bench front seat; dual-zone (driver and front passenger) climate control; an ETR AM/FM stereo with integral CD player; outside power, heated, folding mirrors; cruise control; power door locks and windows; remote keyless entry; deep tinted glass and many other features as standard.
LS and Z71 models offer six-way power bucket seats in either cloth or leather; both bucket seats include a standard premium Bose sound system with six speakers and a subwoofer with their uplevel radios. LT models have standard leather, heated bucket seats with 10-way power.

All models also offer numerous individual options, such as a rear-seat entertainment system with DVD player, LCD display and wireless headphones, to maximize comfort, safety and convenience. Two convenience packages are specially tailored for Z71 customers.

Optimum safety
The Crew Cabs' many standard safety features include passenger-sensing and dual-level air bags, which automatically deactivate the passenger?side front air bag under certain conditions to help protect smaller occupants. A front passenger seat-belt reminder sounds a chime and sets off an indicator light if the belt isn't fastened.

The Crew Cabs' segment-exclusive driver information center monitors and reports on numerous system functions, including service indicators for "Ice Possible" and "Door Ajar." Available redundant steering-wheel controls allow owners to personalize several functions and safely access infotainment options. They also provide easy access to the segment-exclusive OnStar system, optional on the LS and Z71 models and standard on LT.

Silverado Crew Cabs go into production at General Motors' Oshawa, Ontario, Canada plant in January 2004.

SPECIFICATIONS

OVERVIEW

Models:
Chevrolet Silverado C/K1500 Crew Cab Fleetside

Body style / driveline:
5 / 6 passenger, 2- and 4-wheel-drive pickups

EPA vehicle class:
full-size pickup

Manufacturing location:
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Key competitors:
Ford F-150 Super Crew, Dodge Quad Cab, Toyota Tundra

ENGINE

Type:
Vortec 5300 5.3-liter V-8

Displacement (cu in / cc):
327 / 5328

Bore & stroke (in / mm):
3.78 x 3.62 / 96.0 x 92

Block material:
cast iron

Cylinder head material:
cast aluminum

Valvetrain:
OHV

Ignition system:
coil near plug, platinum-tipped spark plugs, low-resistance spark plug wires

Fuel delivery:
sequential fuel injection

Compression ratio:
9.5:1

Horsepower (hp / kw @ rpm):
295 / 217 @ 5200

Torque (lb-ft / Nm @ rpm):
330 / 447 @ 4000

Recommended fuel:
87 octane

Maximum engine speed (rpm):

Emissions controls:
3-way catalytic converter, exhaust gas recirculation, positive crankcase ventilation, evaporative collection system

Estimated fuel economy (mpg city/hwy/combined)
2WD: 16 / 21 / 18; 4WD: 15 / 18 / 16

TRANSMISSION

Type:
Hydra-Matic 4L60-E 4-speed automatic

Gear ratios :)1):

First:

Second:

Third:

Fourth:

Reverse:

Final drive ratio options:

3.42 (2WD)

3.73 (2WD, 4WD)

4.10 (4WD)

CHASSIS/SUSPENSION

Front
2WD, computer-selected coil springs, 36-mm high-pressure gas-charged monotube shocks, 32-mm stabilizer bar

4WD, independent with computer-selected torsion bars, 30-mm stabilizer bar,

Rear:
solid axle with semi-elliptic, variable-rate, two-stage multileaf springs; gas-pressurized shocks

Traction control system:
std 2WD

Steering type:

4WD:
power, recirculating ball

2WD:
power; rack-and-pinion

Steering ratio:
14.2:1

Steering wheel turns,
lock-to-lock:

Turning circle, curb-to-curb
(ft / m):
2WD: 46.6 / 14.2; 4WD: 47.3 / 14.4

BRAKES

Type:
vacuum booster, power, four-wheel disc, four-wheel ABS, DRP

Rotor diameter x thickness (in / mm)
front: 12.01 x 1.14 / 305 x 29; rear: 12.80 x 0.78 / 325 x 20

Axle swept area (sq cm):
front: 213.6 / 1378; rear: 211.1 / 1362

WHEELS / TIRES

Wheel size & type:

2WD:
std 16-inch painted cast aluminum

4WD (including Z71):
std 17-inch polished cast aluminum

Tire size & type:

2WD:
P255/70R-16 all-season radials

4WD:
P265/70R-17 on/off road radials

DIMENSIONS

Exterior

Wheelbase (in/ mm):
2WD / 4WD: 143.5 / 3644

Overall length (in/ mm):
2WD / 4WD: 225.9 / 5735

Overall width (in/ mm):
2WD / 4WD: 78.5 / 1994

Overall height (in/ mm):
2WD: 72.6 / 184; 4WD: 75.0 / 190

Track (in/ mm):
front: 65 / 1651; rear: 66 / 1676

Min. ground clearance (in/ mm):
2WD: 8.1 / 205; 4WD 8.7 / 220

Ground to top of load floor
@ curb weight (in/ mm):
2WD: 31.6 /803; 4WD: 33.7 / 856

Step-in height, front
@ curb weight (in/ mm):
2WD: 19 / 482; 4WD: 21.3 / 540

Approach angle @ curb (degree):
2WD: 27.2; 4WD: 31.1

Ramp breakover angle (degree):
2WD: 17.2; 20.7

Departure angle (degree):
2WD: 29.8; 4WD: 31.9

GVW (lb / kg):
2WD: 6800 / 3084.4; 4WD: 7000 / 3175.1

Base Curb weight (lb / kg):
2WD: 4866 / 2207.2; 4WD: 5175 / 2347.3

Maximum payload (lb / kg):
2WD: 1854 / 841.0 / 4WD: 1756 / 796.5

Weight distribution (% front / rear):
2WD: 57/43; 4WD: 60/40

Cargo Box

Cargo volume (cu ft / L):
49.6 / 1405

Length at floor (in / mm):
68.5 / 1740

Width at floor (in / mm):
60.2 / 1529

Width at top (in / mm):
61.9 / 1572

Width between

wheelhousing (in / mm)
50 / 1270

Tailgate width (in / mm):
60.6 / 1539

Inside height (in / mm):
19.5 / 495

Interior:

Head room (in / mm):
front: 40.7 / 1033; rear: 40.2 / 102.1

Leg room (in / mm):
front: 41.3 / 1049; rear: 39.1 / 993

Shoulder room (in / mm):
front: 65.2 / 1656; rear: 65.1 / 1653

Hip room (in / mm):
front: 61.4 / 1560; rear: 62.9 / 1598

Volume (cu ft):
front: 63.4; rear: 59.2

CAPACITIES

Fuel tank (gal / L)
26 / 98.4

Engine oil with filter (qts / L)
6 / 5.7

Engine Coolant (qts / L)
14.9 / 14.1

Maximum trailer weight (lb / kg):
2WD: 7800 / 3538; 4WD: 8500 /3855

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
"...Key competitors:
Ford F-150 Super Crew, Dodge Quad Cab, Toyota Tundra..."

Yah, right, Toyota, and pigs will fly out of my a$$, too!

It's nice to see that when it comes to the Japanese, the Big 3 don't plan on walking away from the truck market, like GM, FoMoCo, and ChryCo did with cars.

·
Registered
524 Posts
As much as some people would like it, 5328 cc does not equal 327 ci. The Vortec 5300 is actually a 325. I don't mean to be anal, but this is a huge misconception, that alot of people like to hold onto.

-T

·
Registered
94 Posts
Originally posted by tgagneguam@Dec 22 2003, 04:13 PM
"...Key competitors:
Ford F-150 Super Crew, Dodge Quad Cab, Toyota Tundra..."

Yah, right, Toyota, and pigs will fly out of my a$$, too!

It's nice to see that when it comes to the Japanese, the Big 3 don't plan on walking away from the truck market, like GM, FoMoCo, and ChryCo did with cars.
The Big 3's bread and butter are trucks and SUVs. They can't get beat this time around.

As for cars, they did walk away, but they are charging back with more reinforcements then we have ever seen before.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Originally posted by T-Keith@Dec 22 2003, 06:20 PM
As much as some people would like it, 5328 cc does not equal 327 ci. The Vortec 5300 is actually a 325. I don't mean to be anal, but this is a huge misconception, that alot of people like to hold onto.

-T
uhhhh...

this has been around for more then half a century. Nothing new and nothing to go crazy about.

and yes you sound anal

stop nit picking every little detail

·
Registered
206 Posts
:flush:
Cheverolet has a new body style .What about the Engine

problems ?CBS news in Philadelphia just did a piece on

the vortex engine problems .There is a knocking

sound coming from the engine. Once again the

General said this is not a problem.Shades of the great

engineers who gave us the vega.S.O.S.

Same old Sh--

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Well, it's nice to see GM at least doing something positive with their trucks. And the F-150 and Dodge Ram are certainly key competitors. But the Toyota Tundra? What the heck were they smoking when they thought that? The Nissan Titan is the only non-US truck to consider "competition". The Japanese don't know how to design trucks for the US market, which is why the Titan was almost entirely designed by Americans (and built by Americans... more than can be said for most "domestic" trucks unfortunately).

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
The Silverado has so many things going for it.

And then you get inside and have a look at that 1991 Ford Taurus dash.... :grenade:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by gulfsolar@Dec 25 2003, 05:10 PM
:flush:
Cheverolet has a new body style .What about the Engine

problems ?CBS news in Philadelphia just did a piece on

the vortex engine problems .There is a knocking

sound coming from the engine. Once again the

General said this is not a problem.Shades of the great

engineers who gave us the vega.S.O.S.

Same old Sh--
yeah.... all them problems with the vortex motors... does that come with a flux capacitor? The Vortec motors are great motors and I haven't heard of any problems?

I see the power rating of the 5.3 went up? Is this the power increase due to the Gen IV series or is this still the Gen III block? 15hp increase is pretty good!! Id like to see 300, but still not bad! Id like to see that same increase across the board! 360 in the 6.0 would make it a deffinate class leader in power! Now, if they could change up the inside a bit. The Colorado's interior looks good, they should take cues off that!

·
Registered
61 Posts
With pricing like that, GM will be dependent on rebates to move their product for a long time to come. Expect a $3k+ rebate within 6 months of the vehicle's release.

Silverado LS Crew: $31, 145 incl. destination
Titan SE Crew: $27, 350 incl. destination

:eek: badco

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by badco@Jan 6 2004, 05:07 AM
With pricing like that, GM will be dependent on rebates to move their product for a long time to come.  Expect a $3k+ rebate within 6 months of the vehicle's release.

Silverado LS Crew: $31, 145 incl. destination
Titan SE Crew: $27, 350 incl. destination

:eek:  badco
I hope that you are right. I placed my order for an 04 Crew Cab Z-71 on the 31st and did not get an MSRP on it. I know that no one ever pays sticker price, but it sure would be nice to know how it compares to the Ford FX4. $3000 rebate after not paying much more than dealer cost will make waiting for this truck even better. I expect $2000-$2500 though. I needed to trade at the end of the year for tax purposes in 03, but with this one so close, I just had to take a chance on waiting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Man i hate when they make all these diffrent bed sizes.
I work in the truck accy business. the new f-150 has been a pain in our butt. they make 3 beds sizes for one truck. I guess if Gm wants to compete it was bound to happen. we have are sales people measure beds now :eek:

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by RED97GT@Jan 12 2004, 07:11 PM
Man i hate when they make all these diffrent bed sizes.
I work in the truck accy business. the new f-150 has been a pain in our butt. they make 3 beds sizes for one truck. I guess if Gm wants to compete it was bound to happen. we have are sales people measure beds now :eek:
Yes I don't understand why they did that. For years we down play Fords supercrews on box size, you can't haul a 4 wheeler/ snowmobile, fifth wheel etc. Now it,s cool to use the same frame.

Kind of like air bags verse anti-loc brakes, Chrysler and Ford installed air bags in all of thier vehicles before GM, but Gm installed anti locs before the others. GM says air bags increase your chances by only 2% over seat belts alone. and the average driver must drive for 174 years bfore using an air bag, where as you use anti locs every 1 1/2 months

Wheres the STANARD ANTI-LOC BRAKES NOW?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Dec 27 2003, 11:14 PM
I see the power rating of the 5.3 went up?  Is this the power increase due to the Gen IV series or is this still the Gen III block?  15hp increase is pretty good!! Id like to see 300, but still not bad!  Id like to see that same increase across the board!  360 in the 6.0 would make it a deffinate class leader in power!  Now, if they could change up the inside a bit.  The Colorado's interior looks good, they should take cues off that!
I think the GenIV Vortec engines are out nexy year, and this is the last for the GenIII.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a new 04 Silverado Z-71 Crew Cab last week. Th only thing about the new 5'8" short box is that no one has any Tonneau covers for them yet. The accessory stores don't even know about the new size. I have been to at least 7 different stores and now they are aware. The actual manufactures know about it. Advance and Fold-a-Cover are shipping theirs out the week of 3-8-04.

Damn nice riding truck. Love how it looks and handles. Nice features as well. 38k+ sticker on it but with GM discount, 1000.00 retiree discount, 500.00 brand loyalty discount plus 2500.00 rebate or zero % (I took the 0%) it turned out to be a great buy for me.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.ht...153&mode=&idx=2

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by CDN111@Mar 7 2004, 07:30 PM
The chevy's bed is not near as short as the ford supercrew. Isn't the ford somewhere around 4'10" or so?
no it's 70.9" or 5.9'

1 - 20 of 32 Posts