GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Vehicle Highlights

With the production SS Supercharged arriving in dealers later this year, GM Performance Division has already been tweaking. Never a group that can leave well enough alone, Performance Division’s modus operandi can be clearly seen in the Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe. This vehicle was created to demonstrate the potential for street performance. The subtle exterior treatment of this show vehicle cloaks a host of engineering upgrades that yield significant improvements in acceleration and handling. Horsepower hits 270, larger brakes spin at the ready, and a lowered suspension steadies the chassis. Carbon fiber cues hint at the performance potential of this complete package.

Supercharged and intercooled 2.0L engine producing 270 horsepower
Functional fresh air intake integrated into hood
Fabricated air intake box
Low-restriction exhaust system from the catalyst rearward
Traction-enhancing limited-slip differential added to the heavy-duty five-speed manual transmission
Suspension lowered by 40 mm (1.6 inches) and tuned by GM High Performance Vehicle Operations (HPVO)
Large-diameter four-wheel-disc braking system with Baer rotors and production calipers
19-inch wheel and tire package
Audio system with Pioneer Electronics speakers and Alpine amplifiers
Aftermarket Motorola cell phone with IHF 1000 Premium Car Kit
Re-trimmed, custom interior that highlights SS heritage
Exterior styling that explores new concepts based on production Cobalt SS Supercharged

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I would like to see this in dealers, even in limited prod. numbers, so that Chevy could hold bragging rights over Mitsu, Dodge and Subaru.

·
Registered
742 Posts
As I said before...that Ecotec is capable of way more than 205 HP on stock components. And where is our production LSD?? The Redline Ion needs one....bad!

I like the Corvette inspired exhaust haha.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
AWESOME. I love the way it looks ( - the scoop), and you cant argue with 270 hp. Thats 1997 Z28 numbers right there! (and more than 2004 mustange GT numbers)

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
As I said before...that Ecotec is capable of way more than 205 HP on stock components. And where is our production LSD?? The Redline Ion needs one....bad!

The Saturn ION Redline will have an available competion package in mid-2005 with LSD and a boost gauge integrated into the face of the tachometer.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Looks good. If this was also in sedan form with AWD/4WD, it would compete well with the EVO and STi.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Silverado 13....your right. This care is freakin awesome can i say Import eater. Those numbers are long side the 350Z interesting. RX-8 is dead since the numbers between the reg Supercharged Coupe are almost alike. Hopefully they stick a 6 Speed in that. The front kinda reminds me of the Impala SS front. PLz GM lets see them in the show rooms.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
The engine like this IS in production.
I think that this is great! HOLY WOW! I love SEMA time. Its like Christmas, when I open up GMI and see all the pretty cars! Sweet GM...deffinatly made up for the lack-luster Torrent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
BigAls87Z28 said:
The engine like this IS in production.
I think that this is great! HOLY WOW! I love SEMA time. Its like Christmas, when I open up GMI and see all the pretty cars! Sweet GM...deffinatly made up for the lack-luster Torrent.
What do you mean it IS in production? do you mean that this is the engine that is coming in the car and they simply turned up the boost (which is what im thinking) or what? I would LOVE to see the HP upped to 270 in some sort of GM performance upgrade that you can do (kinda like mopar shizzy).

and i do agree, i love this car (-the hood scoop). them headlights make it look mean as hell. (writes that down as things to do when car is bought.)

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
I can't believe it. I've been off the boards for all of two days, and when I get back on, there's cars like THIS to see on here. All I can say is "Wow!" Definitely needs a limted slip diff and then SRT-4, eat your heart out. In fact, don't even both coming out to the races. A car like this would be really nice since you could pound on the import guys all day and go home with a factory warranty, lol. Are these parts/mods/etc available to the floor customer through GM performance division at some dealerships? Would be nuts if they are.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts