GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Auto123.com:

"There aren't any domestic cars that seem out of the ordinary, nothing particularly quirky that has somehow risen to the top of the North American collector psyche. Rather, Chevy's Chevelle is still as popular as ever, while the Camaro and Impala rate 2nd and third."

Whole Article Here:
That Crazy Whole Article

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I hate to admit it, since I am an old Impala guy, but your right. That's why Chevy has to be carefull messing with that name.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Originally posted by yoblues@Feb 28 2004, 06:47 PM
I hate to admit it, since I am an old Impala guy, but your right. That's why Chevy has to be carefull messing with that name.
That's why Chevrolet needs to leave the nameplate "Chevelle" alone.

Should Chevy bring about a large RWD car - I feel a new name should be in order. Risking the name "Chevelle" on a new car is just too big a risk to put against the Chevelle itself. The GTO just barely slipped by the acceptability mark. It's not perfect - but at least it's not a 91' LeMans <_<

New muscle - new names.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should Chevy bring about a large RWD car - I feel a new name should be in order. Risking the name "Chevelle" on a new car is just too big a risk to put against the Chevelle itself. The GTO just barely slipped by the acceptability mark. It's not perfect - but at least it's not a 91' LeMans
Z, I agree with you. The Chevelle -can- be redone, but it would almost require itself to be a limited-life retro vehicle or risk getting the GTO treatment, regardless of how good it might actually be.

I've posted before, that the Camaro name should be retired (which is likely anyway due to the factory-closing deal), and I think the Chevelle should just remain a classic.

Playing Devil's Advocate, the 350Z has enjoyed success, despite being more 300ZX than 240Z, and the RX8 has also been a boon to Mazda. In the Modern Reinterpretations category, the BMW 8-Series was perhaps the best (IMHO), and yet getting snubbed by twin-kidney snobs not understanding its heritage.

It's just too risky, and a new name could just as easily mean a new classic.

As for the '91 LeMans, while the name was regretfully choses, there are still a surprising number of them still on the road.

Ghrankenstein

1 - 5 of 5 Posts