GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it looks like this will be my first car. It's a Saturn SW. It's $4,500, has less than 40,000 miles on it, gets 36 mpg, seats 5 people with plenty of cargo space, and was kept by a lady who had it garaged and never smoked.

Now, I don't like the rims, so once I get a job, these are the rims I plan to buy for the car:

So, what do you think?

·
Registered
44,165 Posts
Ooo.. an SW2!!
Saturns of that era are bulletproof. I think you'll find that the car gives you very reliable transportation in a fun to drive package.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Well, it looks like this will be my first car. It's a Saturn SW. It's $4,500, has less than 40,000 miles on it, gets 36 mpg, seats 5 people with plenty of cargo space, and was kept by a lady who had it garaged and never smoked.
Not to be a stickler, but the sentence should have read, "has fewer than 40,000 miles."

One would use the word "less" when the item one is describing can't be quantified. i.e.: "There was less traffic today because there were fewer cars on the road."

BUT ANYWAY

I've always liked the S-series wagons. Saturn's never been the same since they killed that car.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Awesome, the second generation of my dad's old car. Lasted freaking forever, but it was a rattle bucket through and through.

Congrats though!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I'm geekin out over here over your new ride. I WISH Saturn still made wagons.....sighhhhh. Very nice SW, congrats!

I didn't know old people rims existed.....???

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
I still prefer the 96-99 skin better, I have owned two S series and loved them, true saturns for sure. Too bad it is not a manual, even better mileage and more fun had behind the wheel.. Yes get rid of those hub covers, you may want to consider earlier Saturn four lug alum.. wheels, as I think the first gen styles give later models a nice look!!

here is a roadtest from my page!!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Congratulations on your SW2. From the pictures it looks great! There needs to be a little more shine on the steering wheel and dashboard, however. It's not bright enough! ;)

I used to drive a 1999 SL2 and loved the car. I ordered every option that was available from the factory at the time with the exception of automatic transmission. With leather, sunroof, traction control, ABS, etc, etc, I paid less than $18k for the car. I was able to get slightly over 40 mpg on long trips. Wish I could get that mileage today!

Enjoy your new ride and the great fuel economy!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Job #1 on any new-to-you S-series is to change the engine oil+filter (every 3k and level checked in-between) and trans oil+filter (every 30k); a thorough throttle body and ignition coil cleaning; and changing the coolant temp sensor to a known brass-tipped OEM part.

Enjoy the dent-free lifestyle! :)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
But they're old people rims! I need something more cool looking.
Dude there are a few strikes against the car that rims will never fix, save the money.

A) It's a wagon, it will always be considered a grocery getter (its not a newer stylish wagon either)
B) It's a Saturn, older ones were always considered a cheaper car
C) Plus smaller rims mean for cheaper tires

And on that note, congrats on the car, hopefully it ends up serving you well.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Awesome... I, too, wished Saturn made wagon (where'a my Aura?!?!).

Really, though, the first thing I'd do is wash that Armor All off - that shine is gonna blind you.

As for the wheels, why don't you try and find a new set of hub caps? Certainly cheaper, and like someone pointed out, tires will also be cheaper (tires have gone up quite a bit due to the increase in the cost of oil).

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would skip rims. You can't make a wagon like that cool. It is what it is.

You may consider getting some factory rims. They will dress it up a bit and be cheap. Any S-series rims will fit. If it was me, I'd wait until it needed new tires to save money.

Like others have said, the car will run forever. Just take care of it.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Good find.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Good move getting the wagon. The SW-2 had the higher horsepower engine...and 40 mpg highway should be possible despite the automatic. The later Saturn S series were pretty reliable and had decent resale value.

The trunk opening on those Saturns were so small that it's impossible to put any decent sized luggage in there.

I'd have to agree with spencerb. If you can find stock rims for a good price on ebay or something (like an upgrade to Aluminum or something), then go for it. Otherwise, I'd hang on to the rims that you have. As it is, you have are going to have exceptionally low running cost...might as well not invest much more in it.

Then again, the wheels you picked out look like they are a good price, but that's without tires. You may want to wait until the tires you have are worn down before you move on those wheels.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts