GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I searched around and found one recommended place, Black Pontiac and received an e-mail quote of $1495 for Major Guard for 72 months and 100,000 miles $0 deductible for a 2008 Malibu which appears to be in their "B" price group according to the chart I received.
I'm wondering if there are places that can do much better than $1495?
6 years is the longest GMPP coverage term available to 100,000 miles. They have 7 year plans available but the maximum mileage covered actually drops to only 84,000 miles with the longer plan.

If I buy a 4 cylinder Honda Accord instead of a Malibu, I can get the same terms on a Honda Care contract for only $685 through a Honda dealer that discounts extended warranties similarly to Black Pontiac and the longest term available on a Honda Accord is 96 months, 120,000 miles for $940.

When comparing the cost of a Malibu vs an Accord the higher priced extended warranty will eat up alot of any price savings on the Malibu (apparently, GMPP is expecting more problems with the Malibu and needs more money to make a profit especially considering GMPP is offering much less additional coverage than Honda Care since the Malibu's powertrain is already covered 100K mile by the GM factory warranty and isn't a claims cost risk to the GMPP), plus with the Accord, I would be able drive it for a 8 years 120,000 miles with $0 deductible extended warranty vs only 6 years with the Malibu if I need 100K miles coverage.

There doesn't seem to be much difference in invoice between a Malibu 1LT and a Honda Accord LX-P automatic, so it appears the Malibu will be more expensive to own even before considering the Malibu's depreciation.

I don't see any incentives coming to compensate on the Malibu any time soon due to constant production constraints and low inventories. Now, with the latest problem being a strike at a parts supplier that may slow production even more.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Try Ken Fichtner at Ken Fichtner Chevrolet, 406-628-4618, ext-103, he is a supporting dealer on the corvette forum.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Try Ken Fichtner at Ken Fichtner Chevrolet, 406-628-4618, ext-103, he is a supporting dealer on the corvette forum.

I had checked with Fitchner and it was even a few dollars more.
Looks like $1495 is about the cheapest available. I suppose another dealer can undercut that by a few dollars, but I assume that's near cost and there isn't room for much more discounting.

So, $810 more than a similar contract for a Honda Accord.
I guess it would be better to wait until the car is about 11 months old or 11,000 miles so the expiration date and ending milage is pushed out on the GMPP.

I'm surprised they didn't reduce the prices on the GMPP to reflect the fact that the standard GM factory warranty now includes 100,000 miles of powertrain coverage that they no longer need to cover under their plan.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Why not just buy the car with the standard warranty and see which is the better deal?

Drive them both and see which you like better.

I wouldn't let an extended warranty stop me from buying anything. You may feel differently but just a suggestion.

Besides, it's only running you about $500 per year to protect your car. Ext. warranties on appliances are more than that when you compare the ratio of warranty to the price of the product.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts