GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering a cheap $5 exhaust tip, like something from Walmart or Autozone. What do you guys think about this? I know they are made of bad materials that rust easily, but it rarely rains here and it almost never snows, so that shouldn't be a huge problem. The stock tailpipe is starting to look nasty, but I don't want to spend much money on this.

Here is what it looks like stock:

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Well depending on how long you plan on keeping the car I guess. The cheap tips at Walmart isn't going to last too long. But if it doesn't snow, and rain a ton you might be ok. I live in Minnesota/Wisconsin (I'm in college) and I put a cheaper tip on our Mercury Mountaineer, it rusted to hell due to our weather up here.

Remember, you get what you pay for! :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Even if it doesn't snow or rain much, the tip will still get condensation on it. Any little rock chip will soon start to rust and look terrible. Not to mention it will start to rot from the inside out. The edge that you see will start to look terrible.

Also, walmart tips never fit quite right ( like a 2-1/2" tip on a 2" pipe that you can see daylight through ). They look tacky too with the screws sticking out holding the tip on.

Just do yourself a favor and go down to your local exhaust shop and have them put a nice tip on it. It doesn't even have to be stainless, just real chrome will last 10X longer than the walmart crap. It will cost maybe $50 and will look like it came with the car. It will last for 10 years if you take care of it. Plus the shop will weld it on. It will only take about 10 minutes too.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Go for it. I've had them before. You mean just those shiny ones that slop over what you've got, right? Not a double barraled grapefruit shooter, right? Those aren't $5, though. I've had them before and they last a couple of years, before you really need to swap it out. And that's with snow and road salt around here.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
eh I'd just go to the dealer and get a GMPP stainless tip

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I'd personally just paint the pipe and muffler back face BBQ grill black. The paint will hold up, and with it being flat black, it won't looks nasty. And in fact it won't be noticed at all. Putting a tip on a long tube will only pretty up the last 5 inches or so...but the rest is still rusty/nasty.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey all. I decided to go ahead and buy one at WalMart. It was a couple dollars more than what I originally planned on spending, but it is stainless steel (rather than chrome which may not last that long) and a real bolt on rather than tiny screws. I think it looks good and the inlet size is almost the same as my exhaust pipe was so it fits well. In a couple pictures it looks like it is sticking out really far but it doesn't look that way in person. Tomorrow I will take better pictures out of my garage so you can see it better.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, the tip alone covers it up enough. To see the nasty part of the pipe, you would have to bend down.

Here are some outside pictures:

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
5 bucks man? That's a little pricey. A lot of younger drivers have been getting them cheaper than that from Maxwell House. I know they make them for Civics, but they should work on anything.
You'd have to invest $15 at Home Depot, the ultimate tuner parts shop, for a set of Wiss tin snips to modify it though.

Sadly the coffee has a lot more energy than the Civics

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
lol, my friend stuck a 2 liter bottle in one of those huge ass exhaust tips on a civic before. fricken hilarious. got a picture of it somewhere, need to find it.

i thought when i first read this whole thread that you were going to install a autozone exhaust system on it like the high school kids with the civics, but what you did there actually looks decent, its not overly obnoxious and it still fits in the bumper and looks stock. good job.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
lol, my friend stuck a 2 liter bottle in one of those huge ass exhaust tips on a civic before. fricken hilarious. got a picture of it somewhere, need to find it.

i thought when i first read this whole thread that you were going to install a autozone exhaust system on it like the high school kids with the civics, but what you did there actually looks decent, its not overly obnoxious and it still fits in the bumper and looks stock. good job.
+1 on that it actually looks stock and it looks good. At least you didn't get a fart cannon (which is a must have item in ricerland) that would have looked really out of place on your Bu

·
Registered
11,898 Posts

heh back in the day my dad had antique tractors and when left outside we'd put a cup over the exhaust stack to keep rain out. When those old two cylinder John Deere's would fire up they could shoot pretty high

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.