GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As we all know, the current G6 was a joke from the start, teased with an awesome concept, many were let down by a sub stellar production model that didn't quite live up to Pontiac's sporting image.

Here is a resized image, hopefully addressing the below noted length and size issues....

The old for reference

I have created the G6's replacement, the Grand Am. The cutesy styling that the current G6 has is being replaced by a much more aggressive package.

After some thought and consideration, I have decided that the Grand Am will remain a FWD/AWD optional model with great emphasis being put on the way that the vehicle handles. The Grand Am will be able to handle the twisties just as well as it will be able to handle the straight line.

There will be three trim levels available, along with Coupe and Shooting Brake variants. Each trim level will be designated by the engine that is in the vehicle:

• The Grand Am (base model designation) will be powered by a Turbo 2.0 DI Ecotec mated to a 6-speed manual, with the option of a 6-speed automatic with manual mode.

• The Grand Am GT will be powered by the 3.6 LLT V6 mated to a 6-speed manual, with the option of a 6-speed automatic with manual mode

• The Grand Am GTP will be the most powerful featuring a Twin Turbo 3.6 LLT V6, again, mated to a 6-speed manual, with the option of a 6-speed automatic with manual mode. This model comes with Big Brakes, Sport Suspension, a Limited Slip Differential, and AWD standard.

I would prefer for the vehicle to ride on a shortened EPII platform, possibly on the European EPII Platform, much like the 9-3.

I hope you like!

-Chase

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Re: Chase's Pontiac G6

I would kill for this design to make it as a G6, even though there is a rumor that the next G6 will be nothing more than a re-badged Holden Torana, which I hate.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts

I would kill for this design to make it as a G6, even though there is a rumor that the next G6 will be nothing more than a re-badged Holden Torana, which I hate.
You only hate it because it's a Holden. If Holden was rebadging a G6 as Torana you'd be all :woot:

But Chase, tis opne looks good. The only issue is it lookes a bit too low and stretched out. THe front facia is a bit different, with some elements of the late '60s Pontiacs with the strong beak in the center. Looks good. :clap:

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts

That's how the GP should have looked. I can see this sitting on the new Buick Invicta (or whatever its called.

P.S. How come the design is so sharp, but your background lettering is so dodgy? :p:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

You only hate it because it's a Holden. If Holden was rebadging a G6 as Torana you'd be all :woot:
Yep. because then it would be an 'AMERICAN' made Holden, not an import.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts

Yep. because then it would be an 'AMERICAN' made Holden, not an import.
It would be an import to Holden buyers.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

It would be an import to Holden buyers.
Well, I don't care about them. I just want the Pontiac in US remain as NORTH AMERICAN. I can care less about others. As selfish as that sound, I just hate imports so in US, I want to buy NORTH AMERICAN in a NORTH AMERICAN car brands, not an IMPORT from the NORTH AMERICAN brand. Simple as that.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks everybody! I appreciate the feedback!

But Chase, tis opne looks good. The only issue is it lookes a bit too low and stretched out. THe front facia is a bit different, with some elements of the late '60s Pontiacs with the strong beak in the center. Looks good. :clap:
Definately low, I am really hating how so many vehicles these days are getting so tall, especially with the ride height, however, I do see where this looks like it is about an inch off the ground :D

I think the vehicle may look so stretched out because of my pushing the wheels so far to the edges, to where the space between gets really long looking. Kind of like with the MINI where it has a 97" wheelbase on a 144" car! Buuuut my drawing abilities definately have room to improve too!

That's how the GP should have looked. I can see this sitting on the new Buick Invicta (or whatever its called.

P.S. How come the design is so sharp, but your background lettering is so dodgy? :p:
:p: I wanted the juxtaposition between the two! :rolleyes:

Nah, I got caught up with the drawing and finished the car around 5AM, and rushed with the lettering. I was also trying to not make it so dark, so not to take attention away from the drawing. :D It'll be adjusted later ;)

-Chase

·
Registered
6,710 Posts

WOW! Very Pontiac, and very mean. Two things:
1) Can it have a real name? I don't like alpha numeric names for cars, I think it's a cop out. It doesn't even have to be retro, as long as it's a real name.
2) There isn't a second thing, that car is awesome!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

Well, I don't care about them. I just want the Pontiac in US remain as NORTH AMERICAN. I can care less about others. As selfish as that sound, I just hate imports so in US, I want to buy NORTH AMERICAN in a NORTH AMERICAN car brands, not an IMPORT from the NORTH AMERICAN brand. Simple as that.

It's getting tougher and tougher to buy an all American car anymore. Your Grand Prix was made in Oshawa, Canada.
Out of curiousity, what is it you have against Australian built vehicles anyway? I've been selling Pontiacs for 8.5 years now and I find the GTO and G8 (Holden Monaro and Commodore) to be some of the nicest looking and classiest vehicles I've ever seen. I think they did a great job with them. If they were to change all Pontiacs to rebadged Holdens, it may be the best thing they've ever done.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

WOW! Very Pontiac, and very mean. Two things:
1) Can it have a real name? I don't like alpha numeric names for cars, I think it's a cop out. It doesn't even have to be retro, as long as it's a real name.
2) There isn't a second thing, that car is awesome!
You know, as I was putting the G6 in the background, I was wondering if I should really be putting Grand Am back there. While the previous Grand Am left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, I think that I actually dislike the G6 more. Good Suggestion, and consider it done; the Drawing however, may take a little time to reflect the changes to the name!

-Chase

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
*shakes fist* I see we're taking each other's ideas!

The drawing is very good, although a bit "radical" for my tastes. Also IMO, it looks extremely similar to your "Olds Reborn" drawing, but that's probably because I'm not used to seeing your drawing style.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
THATS BETTER!!!

The drawing is very good, although a bit "radical" for my tastes. Also IMO, it looks extremely similar to your "Olds Reborn" drawing, but that's probably because I'm not used to seeing your drawing style.
it is, could be a trace/redesign deal..which i do alot of. helps with perspective and such. I like this one better personally

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

THATS BETTER!!!

it is, could be a trace/redesign deal..which i do alot of. helps with perspective and such. I like this one better personally
:think: It must be my drawing style that is making you guys think the drawings look alike... Looking at them side by side, they look totally different; they're even different perspectives.

One thing I do find similar between a lot of my drawings are long wheelbases with short overhangs, large wheels, a low slung look, and recently, fairly simple, almost slab sided doors and sides, and the lower rocker tends to be fairly simple; I'm still working on differentiating them without them looking too busy/ricey...

any way, Again, thanks for all of the comments, I'm glad that the poked/prodded version is being received well! (amazingly, the proportions seem to change once they're scanned, compared to when they are on paper :confused:)

-Chase

·
Registered
803 Posts
Heh. I was thinking of a similar grille treatment. I've been playing with making a better design language for Pontiac here lately.

I love your Idea. Keep up the great work!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts