GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my name is gary and im new here, just wondering how hard is it to change a L76(as found in the new vortec max's) to a LS2. i've been lookin at a 2007 vortec max and i want to put a LS2 crate motor which is pushin 510hp and 495 ft/lbs trq. and how hard would it be to put a 6spd automatic tranny in it? i'm only 17 and by my 18th bday im gonna have my new truck, which will be the 2007 vortec max.(p.s. it will be a 4x4 due that i live in Wyoming)lol
thanks in advance,
Gary

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
You'd need a new cross member for the transmission, a new ECM, and possibly a new wiring harness for the computer. Why wouldn't you just build up the motor you've got? This would get very expensive.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I agree, why not work on the L76? Not like it's a bad motor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so wat all could i do to get the L76 to perform like that? and how much would i be looking at in the price area? the reason i thought about the crate motor is because its complete turn key drop in for a little over $11k

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
so wat all could i do to get the L76 to perform like that? and how much would i be looking at in the price area? the reason i thought about the crate motor is because its complete turn key drop in for a little over $11k
It wouldn't be a pure 'drop in' unless it came with EVERYTHING to put it into a truck (I know the truck LS2's are different on the outside than the car LS2's). As rmodys said, you will need many other parts, and it won't be a direct drop. For $11k you can do a LOT to an L76 (supercharger kits, turbo kits, tunes, endless). $11k is a LOT to spend on just a motor, especially when there's so much available. Keep your eyes on GM truck tuning forums, they have a wealth of information.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
if it was a drop in, would you be posting here?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
true i just didnt know what would have to be changed to it. the actaul kit is for a car(just read it on the page where i found that motor) and what about the tranny ive read alot of forums saying its cheaply made, could i put a 6spd automatic in it like the newer ones are going to have, because i cant really afford the payments and stuff on a brand new truck thats why im going with a slightly used 07. or could i just "beef" up the stock tranny, i believe they are HD trannies, not sure though. what head, cam, intake, etc combantions would be perfect for it? any kits available? my goal is to be able to smoke a srt10 with out any forced induction, that will come along later, i just want a mid 12 to low 13sec truck and still maintain street driveabilty. thanks for all your help i'd be in a **** load of trouble without it!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Why a LS2 anyway? Just do some good aftermarket heads, cam, headers and a dyno tune.

It would cost a arm and a leg to swap out a L76 for LS2, and with a new truck i think it's kinda crazy.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
If you're shooting for like a 13 sec truck I think I'd start out with a Duramax...it's already got a turbo and it's "beefed up". Just dial up the fuel and boost :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
diesel is at like 4.80 or something i think lol, that wouldnt work lol, even tho i want a dmax but i want the vmax more. and what kinda supercharger would be the best? and any links to it? heads, cam, etc.? and who could give the best tunes, well could let me tell them wat i got and the mdail it in for me? i heard wheatly was really good but i dont kno. and the swap is out of the question i didnt know there would be so much changing involved lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
y buy a brand new $40k truck to do that to?? buy a 2004 silverado SS, and get a 600hp 427 stroker L92/LS3 from scoggin-****ey for $8500... thats a lotta money to be spending at barely 18yo, hope u have a great job...

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Why a LS2 anyway? Just do some good aftermarket heads, cam, headers and a dyno tune.
x2

Do you really think you have the knowledge/skills to do all of this? An LS2 drop would require an ungodly amount of work. The heads, cam, and headers would really wake up your truck. That way, you can give me the rest of the money so I can buy 17" wheels and 12" disc brakes for my SS... See? Everybody wins. :D

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
No disrespect, but why are you worried about the price of the fuel to feed it if you're putting $11k into mods into a 1 y/o truck? I'd pick up a Lightning myself

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I've got to agree with the majority here. Get the top end from an Escalade (L92 heads), headers, cam, and get a good dyno tuner to work on it. My advice for superchargers: the new Magna Charger, with the higher-helix 4-lobe rotors, are great. Even the older ones make great power on a 5.3L. I've seen a 5.3L with a Magna Charger make 360hp at the wheels and then 416hp at the wheels after a dyno tune.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok and the SS wouldnt work cuz its rear wheel drive i need awd or 4x4. and is there any better top end other than out of a escaslade? and what about the twin screw supercharger from kenne bell(not sure how much it is but it has a **** load of power out of it and with the right tune it cant be beat) as far as ive heard. and buy the start of my senior year i wouldnt be suprised if gas reached $5 a gal. and the reason i have that money to spend is cuz ive worked my fking azz off since i was 14 yrs old thats how ive got so much $$$ saved up! id give u the money for the wheels and discs but i want the car :p lol

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Well I tried... still think you should just give me the money though.

Wait wait wait, what if I told you that if you send me $3,000, I can let you have access to your $10,000,000 offshore account? Yeah, bet you can't resist that...

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the SS available with AWD depending on the year?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
TRAILBLAZER SS best bang for the money. THE AWD launch is SICK

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
First off, you are 17 years old, you should not be driving anything with 500hp.
Second of all, you want something fast...so lets get a big 4x4 truck. Never understood that mentality.
Third: The L76 IS the LS2 with different heads, cam and intake as well as engine tuning. 11k, you could just buy the heads, cam, and intake as well as have it tuned yourself without dropping in an all new engine, and you could probably save yourself some money.
Fourth, The Silverado SS is AWD. They only made RWD ones for the last year.
And if you were gunna make a fast truck, why not get a small reg cab, short bed Silvy that is a little older.
Why do you need 4x4? Maybe its cause I dont see the whole reason behind a fast 4x4 pick up truck. If I wanted a fast truck, id get a small 2wd Silvy and build up.
I would just get a pick up truck and do the normal lift and bigger tires. Get a CAR to make fast, like a 4th gen Fbody.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts