GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would any members know where I can take my 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 truck to have the change made from Kilometer reading of speed and distance driven to miles per hour and miles driven. If a location can be given to me, I would prefer either Cincinnati, Ohio or Greenville, South Carolina. Would anyone know the approximate cost of this change over? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Would any members know where I can take my 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 truck to have the change made from Kilometer reading of speed and distance driven to miles per hour and miles driven. If a location can be given to me, I would prefer either Cincinnati, Ohio or Greenville, South Carolina. Would anyone know the approximate cost of this change over? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

May seem like a simple question - have you read your vehicle owner's manual? On some GM vehicles, you can switch between MPH and Kilometers per hour by changing a setting in the driver information center. It is easily done on my 1999 Corvette (a 16 year old vehicle....).

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
May seem like a simple question - have you read your vehicle owner's manual? On some GM vehicles, you can switch between MPH and Kilometers per hour by changing a setting in the driver information center. It is easily done on my 1999 Corvette (a 16 year old vehicle....).
That can be done with any vehicle that uses an electronic IP, including my Ducati Multistrada.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
The DIC programming km to mph changover in a GM vehicle was only in certain digital display models.
(like my 90s and early 00 Cadillacs)

With your late model GM 900 truck your best bet is to swap out the entire mph/odo speedo
unit for a km unit. Used km units can be found on fleabay at a few speedo shopd and its a easy DIY swap.

Heres one of many listed:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILVERADO-2...176-/331243368872?hash=item4d1fa4b1a8&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
363 Posts
He wants to change TO miles.

Any dealer should be able to order you an exchange cluster with the correct mileage equivalent to the Kms you have on it now. Cost? No idea, have been away too long, but wouldn't surprise me if around $200.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Larkbill, If I can get a change over for under $500, I will do it in an instant. These guys in Canada won't touch it as they tell me GM will not sell them the change over unit. Guess maybe a wrecking yard in the US will have something. thanks for your reply. TVO

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sox, Thank you for the reply. My unit is not totally electronic. My speed reading is in Km's on a printed dial so that has to be removed and a mph dial put in the space. Distance is electronic but cannot be changed in DIC. Will check some shops in Ohio, maybe even a wrecking yard to see what is available. TVO

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1999 white, Thanks for the reply. Part of my cluster is electronic, (distance is KM's), speed is on a printed dial so that would have to be replaced. The Km's in the electronic mode for distance cannot be changed in the DIC unit. I think as I have stated to other members, I will check some wrecking yards and try for a complete cluster. I will also check a dealer as I don't know where the computer in this vehicle fits in on the changeover. Again, thanks. TVO

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
my 07 I can change between KM and Miles on the DIC and ALL the numbers change litres used to Gallons used even the ODO changes but YES the speedo will show in KMs as that is printed but I assume a speedo overlay from someone like US speedo would do the trick and give you engine temp / oil press in US units also
if your truck does NOT have the 4 buttons on the dash to cycle the DIC they can be added to ANY GMT 900 series (check other forums) as all trucks are pre wired for them

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Winterpeg 2000, Thank you for the reply. It would appear that I will wait until I get to the US in November and find either a dealer or speedo repair shop to make the changes. I need for this to happen so I can trade it on a new unit in the US. Thanks, TVO

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
do you not have one of those digital readouts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sonjaab, I have found a place in Ohio that changes the cluster unit. They also give a certificate of the correct calculation from Km's to Mileage reading, also put a sticker on the vehicle to that effect. This certificate apparently satisfies the license bureau of accuracy regarding the true mileage. Have a great day. TVO

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Sonjaab, I have found a place in Ohio that changes the cluster unit. They also give a certificate of the correct calculation from Km's to Mileage reading, also put a sticker on the vehicle to that effect. This certificate apparently satisfies the license bureau of accuracy regarding the true mileage. Have a great day. TVO
Yea thats what happens with Canadian KM cars that are re-sold in NY with a swapped KM to mph odo/speedo unit.

But like I mentioned dealers will RUN away from them as trades or lowball you into submission as they are STILL a TMU vehicle to the dealer.
Not to mention most auto mfrs. VOID any existing factory warranty on these odo/spedo swapped vehicles that are resold in a different country of origin.

Lots of info on this over at the edmunds.com autodealer forums and posts from Canadians needing/experiences/etc. and dealer principals/salesfolks input on bringing US vehicles back to Canada and swapping the odo/speedo to conform to Canadian inspection/pre-registration specs.

Just a warning thought for you especially on a newer high value vehicle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts