GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

By Paul Lienert and Heekyong Yang 5 hrs ago

Cells in GM, Hyundai EV battery fires linked to several LG plants

(Reuters) - Shares of Korean battery maker LG Chem slid to a nine-month low on Friday as investors digested reports linking fires in General Motors Co and Hyundai Motor Co vehicles to LG batteries from at least two Asia plants.

Documents filed by GM and Hyundai with the U.S. safety regulator show how the two automakers separately identified the same cause of battery fires in their newest electric vehicles, tracing them to similar manufacturing defects in battery cells made at at least two plants operated by a unit of LG Chem.

"Together with our client and partners, LG is actively working to ensure that the recall measures are carried out smoothly," an LG spokesperson said on Friday. "The reserves and ratio of cost to the recall will be decided depending on the result of the joint investigation looking into the root cause, currently being held by GM, LG Electronics and LG Energy Solution."

GM and Hyundai linked the fires to lithium-ion battery cells supplied by LG Energy Solution, an LG Chem subsidiary and one of the world’s largest battery manufacturers. The cells were produced at LG plants in South Korea and China.

In Korea, the decline in LG Chem shares reflected investors' concerns about the multibillion-dollar cost of recalling the defective batteries and how that might affect the company's relationships with GM, Hyundai and others.

LG provides similar EV battery cells to several vehicle manufacturers, including Ford Motor Co and Volkswagen AG. Ford and VW have not reported similar issues with the LG cells.

GM last week told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that experts from LG and GM on July 21 identified “two rare manufacturing defects in the same battery cell” as the root cause of the battery fires in the Chevrolet Bolt EV.

GM identified the defects as a torn anode tab and a folded separator, and said the defective cells were produced at LG’s plant in Ochang, Korea.

After the tenth Bolt fire, in Chandler, Arizona, GM said it had uncovered manufacturing defects in some cells "produced at LG manufacturing facilities beyond the Ochang plant."

GM last week widened its recall of the Bolt to more than 140,000 vehicles to replace battery packs, at a cost now estimated at $1.8 billion. The automaker said it would seek reimbursement from LG - GM’s partner in the Ultium LLC battery joint venture in the United States.

In a statement on Friday, LG said its share of the recall cost “will be decided depending on the result of the joint investigation looking into the root cause."

Hyundai said its investigators determined that a battery fire in a Kona EV - one of more than 15 such incidents in Korea, Europe and Canada - was caused by an internal short circuit in a battery cell. Hyundai traced the issue to a “folded anode tab.”

South Korea’s transport ministry said in February that it would recall Kona EVs with battery cells manufactured at LG’s China factory.

Hyundai said it would spend nearly $900 million to replace LG batteries in some 82,000 EVs worldwide, including more than 75,000 Kona EVs.

(Reporting by Paul Lienert in Detroit and Heekyong Yang in Seoul; Editing by Matthew Lewis)

LINK

Great to General Motors are seeking reimbursement from LG - GM’s partner in the Ultium LLC battery joint venture in the United States. Best of luck to GM hope they win come out on top in the investigation make LG carry the lions share higher ratio of the $1.8 billion recall costs.

·
Premium Member
36,094 Posts
"Root cause"? I'll take the battery pack for 500, Alex. That is like Kackles looking for the root cause of illegal immigration.

We have been warned. This self-charging road to Lektrik Nirvana greengreengreen zerozerozero could possibly maybe have a few bumps in it.
And potholes. Like downtown Detroit potholes. Big enough for a Fiat 600.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
60 Posts
Could we possibly, possibly keep this thread on topic and NOT devolve into some sort of Right vs. Left diatribe, or dropping the well-overused mention of "Commie"? Every time we "go political" we lose sight of the main topic.

·
Premium Member
36,094 Posts
Well, you can ignore why batteries are being pushed out there ahead of their "Ready by" date. But you cannot separate the lektrik frenzy from the wingnuts who are pushing it. People whose whole being is to virtue signal, without any useful knowledge of the business world.

Lektriks would have evolved, they would have gained market share, and they would sink or swim on their virtues, usefulness, and price vs. utility. And of course, looks and status.

Most of our early rockets here in the USA crashed and burned. Many never made it off the launch pad before going up like Independence Day fireworks. Because they were early early in their evolution. And the same thing is happening with batteries. Some are cooking off on the launch pad. Or in some early adopters' garages.

The market is the best decisionator regarding personal items like cars. Houses. Jobs. Clothes. This discussion would be much cleaner and more interesting if it had not been created by power-mad virtue-signaling bureaucrats with nothing to lose.

Making a pronouncement about production goals by 2030, fur instance, is so far far above any politician's level of incompetence that it's nothing short of malpractice. And some in the industry clamber aboard that train because kiss up and move up are still words to live by. They have little choice. There are billion$ involved, and nobody will be $ued for malpractice.

Reactions: gkr778 and TORRED1

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Given LG built the entire powertrain for the Bolt, I fail to see how this would not be LG's fault (unless GM software violated some charging limit/rate guidelines or some other such unlikely issue). That seems especially the case now that two automakers have traced fires to the same defect in LG batteries.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Well, you can ignore why batteries are being pushed out there ahead of their "Ready by" date. But you cannot separate the lektrik frenzy from the wingnuts who are pushing it. People whose whole being is to virtue signal, without any useful knowledge of the business world.

Lektriks would have evolved, they would have gained market share, and they would sink or swim on their virtues, usefulness, and price vs. utility. And of course, looks and status.

Most of our early rockets here in the USA crashed and burned. Many never made it off the launch pad before going up like Independence Day fireworks. Because they were early early in their evolution. And the same thing is happening with batteries. Some are cooking off on the launch pad. Or in some early adopters' garages.

The market is the best decisionator regarding personal items like cars. Houses. Jobs. Clothes. This discussion would be much cleaner and more interesting if it had not been created by power-mad virtue-signaling bureaucrats with nothing to lose.

Making a pronouncement about production goals by 2030, fur instance, is so far far above any politician's level of incompetence that it's nothing short of malpractice. And some in the industry clamber aboard that train because kiss up and move up are still words to live by. They have little choice. There are billion$ involved, and nobody will be $ued for malpractice.
Truly living up to your name.

Meanwhile, in reality:
The automakers moving to electric isn’t some left-wing conspiratorial woke mob plot to make everyone vegan or whatever conservatives are afraid of this week. It’s a purely cynical market-driven strategy.

The goal of the major automakers is to still pull in huge profits and make investors happy. Clearly all of their long term projections have shown that no matter who is in office, we’re on the cusp of a high adoption rate of electric vehicles and they don’t want to be caught with their pants down.

I also believe there has long been a strong desire by the automakers to decouple themselves from the volatile oil industry where dramatic changes in oil prices can catch a company off-guard and either leave them with too much inventory or not enough in just a matter of weeks. It ends up costing them more doubling down on ICE cars. With electric, they don’t have to worry about oil shortages.

·
Banned
660 Posts
Could we possibly, possibly keep this thread on topic and NOT devolve into some sort of Right vs. Left diatribe, or dropping the well-overused mention of "Commie"? Every time we "go political" we lose sight of the main topic.
Do the answer to your question is no! People just can't resist the temptation of linking this battery problem to politics.

Now on to the topic, why does this surprise people? Don't people realize that there is going to be set backs along the way?

GM and LG has identified the problem and a correction will take place. What's to be alarmed about? This what happens when new technology is introduced.

Now my problem with the way the reporting is being done. This is a LG problem if I am not mistaken. GM should not even be mentioned in the headline.

It should say LG has a problem with their new electric batteries.

The way it is written and reported people I've talked to think it's a GM issue.

This is similar to the airbag problem in which the airbag supplier had a manufacturing problem.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Do the answer to your question is no! People just can't resist the temptation of linking this battery problem to politics.

Now on to the topic, why does this surprise people? Don't people realize that there is going to be set backs along the way?

GM and LG has identified the problem and a correction will take place. What's to be alarmed about? This what happens when new technology is introduced.

Now my problem with the way the reporting is being done. This is a LG problem if I am not mistaken. GM should not even be mentioned in the headline.

This is similar to the airbag problem in which the airbag supplier had a manufacturing problem.
It is a GM problem! GM approved the components. Customers bought a GM. So when the feces hits the fan, GM needs to step up and deal with the problem head-on and hopefully, with class and treat the customer like they are royalty. (That last part won’t happen but I can hope)

·
Banned
660 Posts
It is a GM problem! GM approved the components. Customers bought a GM. So when the feces hits the fan, GM needs to step up and deal with the problem head-on and hopefully, with class and treat the customer like they are royalty. (That last part won’t happen but I can hope)
Wrong, LG needs to step up and take the hit! Both companies agreed to the batteries technology but it was LG responsibility to manufacture the batteries. It is their failure that caused this problem.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts

You are right on a lot of this. Setbacks are to be expected in a new technology. It is an LG problem and it will get sorted out. But there is a question of when, and the lack of an ETA for a fix is concerning. Based on what's been reported, it sounds like GM has isolated the problem but LG doesn't yet know how to fix it in mass manufacturing.

From a consumer point of view, however, it's a GM problem because the product that people bought has GM's brand (Chevrolet) on it, not LG.

·
Banned
660 Posts
You are right on a lot of this. Setbacks are to be expected in a new technology. It is an LG problem and it will get sorted out. But there is a question of when, and the lack of an ETA for a fix is concerning. Based on what's been reported, it sounds like GM has isolated the problem but LG doesn't yet know how to fix it in mass manufacturing.

From a consumer point of view, however, it's a GM problem because the product that people bought has GM's brand (Chevrolet) on it, not LG.
That is called laziness on the buyer not paying attention to what company supplies the batteries to their cars

·
Premium Member
36,094 Posts
This is mandated, in Euro and to a lesser extent here in the USA. The makers have been living with the oil industry for a little while now. And if you think oil is volatile, move to commiefornia and start to enjoy your rolling blackouts. Or not rolling, stagnant. But believe what you like.

And you should do a bit of research on neanderthals. You don't know much about us either.

Have a very speshul day! 😊

·
Registered
60 Posts
CAN WE STOP WITH THE COMMIEFORNIA CRAP! Let's all keep our political opinions out of this. Some of us come here to read the posts for new points of view, not the same rehash of the crap we hear on TV.

·
Banned
660 Posts
CAN WE STOP WITH THE COMMIEFORNIA CRAP! Let's all keep our political opinions out of this. Some of us come here to read the posts for new points of view, not the same rehash of the crap we hear on TV.
I totally agree with you. Can we just talk GM cars and trucks on here?

·
Registered
60 Posts
As a goodwill gesture - maybe you can stop the potty-mouth............
Potty mouth? Really? As a chef and former sailor, I come by it honestly but I've seen far worse said here and no one calls out those people....but, as a "goodwill gesture" I won't make posts with 4th grade swear words in them anymore.

·
Premium Member
36,094 Posts
Not offended, but it just cheapens the discussion, turning into a mess. I just figure that if the moderators (if they existed) wouldn't allow, maybe we shouldn't be saying it? I come here to get AWAY from the political discussions.
It is not political, it's just a fact. Not pretty, but that's the way it is. There's always the ignore function.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It is not political, it's just a fact. Not pretty, but that's the way it is. There's always the ignore function.
Unless California has seceded from the Union and changed it's Government to something that doesn't really, truly exist anymore (at least not in it's 1950's Red Scare form), then yes, it's opinion, not fact. The word "Communism" is just as overused as "Nazi" or "Fascist". None of it truly, TRULY fits, it's just being used as a lazy description of things we don't agree with or like.

If I choose ignore on those who start down the political rabbit hole, there wouldn't be any posts to see. Sometimes there's a nugget of car stuff in all of these posts, why take the chance of missing that just to avoid reading stuff that sounds like MSNBC and FoxNews having a pee-pee contest? Much more beneficial to ALL of us if we just keep the politics in politics and the car talk in car talk. I avoid the threads that seem like they could go political. I hear it all day at work, I come here to get away from it all....not trying to sound rude or anything, I just don't understand why we always go there on GMI.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts