GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out about these awd celicas, and wondering how they are.
Reliable? worth having?
and possibly some engine specs if anyone knows. thank you

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The Celica's are nice, but don't really expect them to be sitting in the dealers for too long now: Toyota claims they will take out the Celica, since they know have their Scion brand. You might have a Tc to look at, but I doubt you'll want it. A Celica is a good car. :lol:

·
Registered
954 Posts
They are heavy, but respond to mods well. They have the same turbo motor as the mr2 hap (3sgte) I have heard that the old ones had problems with the rear diff dying.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I can tell you from firsthand experience that the Toyota Celica is THE most reliable car I have owned, and I'm not lying. I owned a 1982 Toyota Celica GT until 1994 and a 1986 Toyota Celica GT until 1996 - they were both very reliable with no rust and no interior damage so I can safely say that the Celica is a safe choice, including the AWD one which had a very good reliability report on many websites.

You could look at the tC, which is essentially the Celica replacement. You might like it, like I do. Powerful engine, available supercharger, roomy interior, probably excellent build quality.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to hear, maybe my first car :)
But of course it will be used.. but I want the turbo+awd combo
what year range do you suggest?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found one on auto trader

'89 celica ALL-TRAC
216,000km awd, turbo, 6 spd

any opinions on this?

·
Registered
954 Posts
check for noise from the rear diff, means its on the way out. Other than that check the cv's , steering rack for play, all the usual stuff. The alltrac shares a fair amount of parts with the normal celica and of course the mechanicals with the mr2, so if you need to junkyard hunt, look at them too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts