GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mom bought a new CD player for her Impala, to replace the stock tape deck. Hers is an 01' with the 3.4, but I believe it is otherwise identical to my 05.

I replaced the stocker in mine, well had Crappy Tire do it. I am of the humble opinion that $200 was frikin retarded to install it. Her new unit comes with about 10 wires out the back. I already picked up the 15 dollar plastic thing that adds a little storage space to take up the room from the huge stock player.

Her car DOES NOT have a message center that is controlled by the radio if it matters.

My concern is that the wires in the car may not be the same color as those on the CD player. Since removing the player in my car, I noticed the added a white connector with 10-15 pins maybe. I don't believe that was there before.

What am I looking at for PITA when it comes to doing this myself? It also has two large white+ red connections that are labeled as pre-amp. Her car doesn't have a new amp in it, but in the trunk I see what appears to be a cheap ass silver amp mounted under the rear deck between the two crappy stock speakers.

I heard something about the warning chimes being disabled, what do I do about that?

I'm going to find out how to do this right, and then I'm gonna damn well do it... :lmao:

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Re: CD player install on 2001 Impala

Well, I lost my reply to the wonders on the introweb....lost my train of thought.

Anyway, It wasn't as bad as the bad instructions made it seem. I was told to find hex screws all over the place, and they turned out to be regular Phillips. So I spend 20 minutes looking for mystery hex screws that weren't there... lol.

My assumption is that if I can find the right harness, it will plug into the Impala's stock one, then i can splice the new harness to the new player without messing with the cars wires-which would be nice.

Only trouble is that so far with the new player I've lost the cars warning chimes....which can at times be a good thing...

It is definitely a PITA, but I don't get how they felt it was a $200 job to install mine...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
logansowner----- ive never knows if youre a guy or a girl (cause of the pic).....but on to your question.....

Even if you go to circuit city- they should have the adapter cable that would connect the new radios wires - you connect them to the wire harness you buy- and the end of the harness has a connector that connects right into the factory harness of your car.
that way the only connections you do are the ones from the radio to the harness you bought.

these previous models of impalas do play the chimes thru the radio.- as well as control the DIC thru the radio.
some people could care less. But I believe theres a module out there so that you can continue to play the chime.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts