GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TORONTO, April 28 /CNW/ - CAW President Buzz Hargrove will be making a
critical announcement today about the union's 2008 negotiations with the
Big Three North American auto makers, General Motors, Ford and Chrysler.

Today at 2:30 p.m.
Sheraton Centre, 123 Queen Street West - City Hall Room 2nd floor

Media who are unable to attend, but would like to participate can call:
1-800-732-1073

For those who will not attend, but would like to receive the materials,
please email Shannon Devine at: [email protected]

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/April2008/28/c2147.html

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
His last big announcement was that he wil not let his legacy be a two-tier wage system (he would rather let his legacy be the Big 3 pulling out of Canadian production -Uzzy).

I wonder if he's come to his senses, but I seriously doubt it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The CAW will be in a difficult position in the next negotiations. For a long time the big 3 have enjoyed a cost advantage building in Canada, related to our lower dollar and universal health care. But now the dollar is close to par with the US dollar and with recent deals with the UAW, there is no longer a cost advantage here. Obviously the pressure will be on to reduce costs to manufacture here. Soon Oshawa car will be ready to bulid 500 000+ cars on the new flexible manufacturing line and only the Camaro is confirmed. GM will certainly hold off on confirming anything else for Oshawa until the negotiations are done.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
CAW President Buzz Hargrove Statement

As we all know the condition of the big 3 has improved in the last year and with the big bonuses the executives at the big 3 are getting i will say screw you because we are not going to give any special treatment on the negotiations and that means we want more money:D

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Ford will try to work some kind of deal because they cannot stop the edge and mkx production since those 2 are selling at good numbers

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Aside from the Camaro, does the CAW really have any bargaining power? Sure they can stop W-body production, but how catastrophic would that be?

It should be interesting...
Reducing their top-selling car (Impala) to 0 sales flow?

Plus, theres a pickup plant, and the Chrysler LX plant (Challengers, Chargers, 300s), the Ford Oakville plant (Edge/MKX, and Flex I think) on this side of the 401.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Reducing their top-selling car (Impala) to 0 sales flow?

Plus, theres a pickup plant, and the Chrysler LX plant (Challengers, Chargers, 300s), the Ford Oakville plant (Edge/MKX, and Flex I think) on this side of the 401.
I was specifically referring to CAW vs GM. Obviously losing the LX plant production would hurt Chrysler and Ford can't afford to lose the Edge/MKX.

As far as the Impala, what % are retail vs fleet? I'm sure GM would be fine for a while if Oshawa went down, particularly the truck side (which may already be down due to the AA strike).

But now that the CAW has agreed to a deal with Ford, the other mfr's will probably fall in line (unless somebody's willing to play hardball for the 2-tier wage agreement).

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
As far as the Impala, what % are retail vs fleet? I'm sure GM would be fine for a while if Oshawa went down, particularly the truck side (which may already be down due to the AA strike).
They were down but were scheduled to start back up last week. Axles were to be diverted from Texas to indiana and Ontario. Someone from the Oshawa pant was saying the US Gov't put in a big enough order to run them full time for the next 2 years or something.

But now that the CAW has agreed to a deal with Ford, the other mfr's will probably fall in line (unless somebody's willing to play hardball for the 2-tier wage agreement).
I hope GM does. The Gov't order might hopefully have a delivery schedule with enough flexibility that they can idle the Canadian operations long enough to force the CAW to take the 2-tier wage system. The problem is that would screw the Camaro launch up. :( We can't have that.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
What makes you so sure the Camaro will continue to be built in Canada? ;)
It has been slated to go to Oshawa for some time now, but if Buzz threatens its launch, it will be sent somewhere in the US for assembly. Hopefully it's not too late in the planning stages to do that, and I don't think it is.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
It might be significant that all Buzz's bluster has been directed toward GM lately, and now the press conference is about negotiations with big 3 NA. Change in strategy?? I don't think their bargaining position with GM could be much worse... I don't know if the recent Ford results may change things.

·
Registered
160 Posts
They were down but were scheduled to start back up last week. Axles were to be diverted from Texas to indiana and Ontario. Someone from the Oshawa pant was saying the US Gov't put in a big enough order to run them full time for the next 2 years or something.
That someone was me, :). I work in Oshawa Car. We had Saturdays scheduled right up until summer holidays, but the last few have been cancelled. Saturday overtime will resume once they can get enough parts. Right now, the third shift is on layoff and we are only being given enough parts to build 1000 cars per day. We are building very few Buicks, police cars and loaded Impalas, as the heavier duty parts needed for those models are in short supply.

The truck plant is running on dayshift only for three weeks, at this point.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
That someone was me, :). I work in Oshawa Car. We had Saturdays scheduled right up until summer holidays, but the last few have been cancelled. Saturday overtime will resume once they can get enough parts. Right now, the third shift is on layoff and we are only being given enough parts to build 1000 cars per day. We are building very few Buicks, police cars and loaded Impalas, as the heavier duty parts needed for those models are in short supply.

The truck plant is running on dayshift only for three weeks, at this point.
Police cars?? I bet those have to be fun when you see the occasional body/chasis/frame coming down the line......:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
They look the same when i assemble them. Not much difference, not much time to take a look either without our barely english speaking ****head forman on your ass for overcycling when you have 30 seconds to spare. It's easy to tell which impalas are cop cars from the plastic carpet and the 9c1 identification number.

i also work in Oshawa car, formerly Oshawa truck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Look at it this way although this is specifically caw, the theory still applies.

eventually, the union will lose its power because America can't possibly allow so many people to go unemployed and therefore dismantle american automotive industry. Politically, someone is going to have to say the GM, Dodge, and Ford are right and they need non union labor or the union has to give in because we screwed up with free trade and cut hour cost of living by doing so.

either fix free trade or cut wages

therefore, the uaw and caw, likely will give in under the premise that if they don't they will have no jobs anyways or be replaced by toyota and honda systems, i.e. non union.

don't bite the hand that feeds you, bite the one that takes your food away. go threaten toyota to not sell them cobalt or ship it or tax the living shiort out of it, see how many prius' get sold and how many focus' and cobalts get sold and then fixes this issue.

(i believe the cobalt comes out of hamilton ontario right? right near that huge desolate black piece of land quitely polluting for japan's profits)

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
(i believe the cobalt comes out of hamilton ontario right? right near that huge desolate black piece of land quitely polluting for japan's profits)
Nope. The Candian Plants are:

CAMI Automotive in Ingersoll.
Equinox, Torrent, Suzuki XL-7 and the SV6.

Oshawa Car Assembly
Allure/LaCrosse, Impala, future: Carmao (probably)

Oshawa Truck Assembly
Silverado, Sierra

St. Catherines Engine
(I know they build engines for the GMT-900s, but I'm not sure what else)

Windsor Transmission
4-speed tansmissions for 4-cyl and 6-cyl engines. (Slated to close.)

I'm not aware of any others. You might be thinking of CAMI. Ingersoll is about an hour from Hamilton. It doesn't build the Cobalt/G5 though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.