GM Inside News Forum banner

Caught!: Camoflauged Malibu being Tested!

8K views 59 replies 33 participants last post by  ShArk 
#1 ·
I know this is not a news article, but I was heading to work this morning and noticed what appeared to be a Malibu with camoflauge on the front and rear fascia. I didn't have time to follow, but after work today, my wife noticed another one testing on OUR STREET! Naturally, we hopped in the car, camera in hand, and snapped the photos below. It seems to be the current Malibu, but with the coverings, it's hard to be sure if the front and rears have been updated. You decide!

PS. Credit to my wife for hanging out the passenger window of our car to get these images. If we get anymore, we'll post them here.

See less See more
#4 ·
Update: We found where the cars are being stored, the Westlake Hyatt in Westlake Village, California. We learned this after following the above car. We just went back at about 8:50 PM local time, and there are several camoflauged cars at the location. There was a manned security vehicle guarding the parking lot where the cars are located, but we're going to head back with the better camera to try get some more pics.

#5 ·
Definitely A 'Bu and Definitely a News Story, Why would GM be testing a New 'Bu already?

because the current one is uglier than a mud fence.

#8 ·
What it looks like to me is one of those consumer perception tests, to see what random people think of a certain car. Look, all the badges were covered, including the steering wheel, actual wheels, grill and tail. And what is with the "L"?

#9 ·
Originally posted by 91 s-10baja@Jun 22 2004, 11:19 PM
What it looks like to me is one of those consumer perception tests, to see what random people think of a certain car. Look, all the badges were covered, including the steering wheel, actual wheels, grill and tail. And what is with the "L"?
I thought so, too. However, the manned security vehicle guarding the parking lot makes me think there's something to hide. I will find out in about an hour when we go back for more pics.

#10 ·
Originally posted by vanshmack@Jun 22 2004, 09:59 PM
Update: We found where the cars are being stored, the Westlake Hyatt in Westlake Village, California. We learned this after following the above car. We just went back at about 8:50 PM local time, and there are several camoflauged cars at the location. There was a manned security vehicle guarding the parking lot where the cars are located, but we're going to head back with the better camera to try get some more pics.
Heh....GM lets their engineers stay at the Hyatt?

#11 ·
Originally posted by 91 s-10baja@Jun 22 2004, 10:19 PM
All that stuff is pretty standard practice when they camo the cars. But you're right, the "L" is weird.

#12 ·
Well, I am thinking several things...
1- due to the redesign of the not-so-awesome crash tests, this is the redesign of Bu
2- that GM is moving ultra-fast to make sure there cars are fixed if there is any problems.

I have heard for waaaaaay to long that GM takes forever to redesign or revamp a model, and I think GM has too.

and all these "mud fences" seem to be still be #1 in sales. Guess you are in the minority.

#14 ·
It could be a slight restyling of the car, since it doesn't look so great, but I am wondering if that is an SS version, and they are testing the 3900 V6. They wouldn't need to test drive a car to test styling, there must be a mechanical change they are working on. They could also be working on the upcoming Saturn L series replacement, using a Malibu as the disguise.

#15 ·
Update II:

Went back around 10:30 PM. Took a walk through the parking lot to get a closer look, but we were run off by a not-so-pleasant man telling us bluntly, "You can't be here. You need to leave...NOW." Anyway. cars were still there, including a black one that appeared to have the entire rear covered, all the way to the front doors. That car seemed to be the same shape as the others, but the grill was different, in that it had no chrome bar. Also, it seemed a little "chunkier" around the bottom portion of the body. Could not see the tailpipe to verify that it had dual outlets.

Unfortunately, before we could get the camera out of my wife's sweatshirt, the aforementioned man ran us off. Hopefully the cars will still be there in the morning, and I can get a good shot of that black one.

#17 ·
People that I have spoken with (who are in the know) say that it is most likely a 2006 Malibu Re-Sklin of the Front and Rear ends. The Re-Designed bumpers were due to reaction from the poor Bumper test scores that the Malibu recieved. Great Job with the Spy Information!

#19 ·
Originally posted by SUPERBADD75@Jun 23 2004, 04:03 AM
because the current one is uglier than a mud fence.
No, the Malibu is just plain-Jane, which works for lots of people - look no further than the Camry and Corolla to see that. When you step out of the GMInsidenews universe, you're sure to find many people who look only for value and quality in their cars (which the Malibu provides in spades), not short 0-60 mph runs from their engines or seductive lines on their car's carriage.

Vanilla styling, sure. Mud fence ugly - not so much.

#21 ·
According to the Automotive News article cited here, the beefed-up bumpers were scheduled to enter production this month:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/index.ph...?showtopic=4347

"(08:30 March 11, 2004)
GM plans quick bumper fix for new Malibu to bolster safety rating
By HARRY STOFFER | Automotive News

WASHINGTON - General Motors quickly will re-engineer the bumpers on its new Chevrolet Malibu because the car did poorly in insurance industry tests.
GM spokesman Jim Schell declined last week to say when the Malibu bumper revisions will be ready. He said production changes will occur as soon as the engineering is completed.

"GM will be working as quickly as possible on this," Schell said.

Institute officials said GM told them the changes should be in production by June."

#23 ·
wow! can't say my tuesday night was that interesting! living in oakville, ontario, you'd think i might see some exciting freestar test mules roaming the streets! alas, no such luck. some guys have all the fun! keep your eyes peeled vanshmack... this kinda stuff is cool! if i recall you're the guy who got to take a good look at the C6 a while back with a bunch of the engineers?

#25 ·
Well it definitely is going to have some styling changes, otherwise why bother with the camouflage. It would be bettr to do milf engineering testing in a car with no camouflage, this way no one would suspect... Just another Malibu. The masking makes it stand out, and people notice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.