GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
According to the Automotive News article cited here, the beefed-up bumpers were scheduled to enter production this month:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/index.ph...?showtopic=4347

"(08:30 March 11, 2004)
GM plans quick bumper fix for new Malibu to bolster safety rating
By HARRY STOFFER | Automotive News

WASHINGTON - General Motors quickly will re-engineer the bumpers on its new Chevrolet Malibu because the car did poorly in insurance industry tests.
GM spokesman Jim Schell declined last week to say when the Malibu bumper revisions will be ready. He said production changes will occur as soon as the engineering is completed.

"GM will be working as quickly as possible on this," Schell said.

Institute officials said GM told them the changes should be in production by June."

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
wow! can't say my tuesday night was that interesting! living in oakville, ontario, you'd think i might see some exciting freestar test mules roaming the streets! alas, no such luck. some guys have all the fun! keep your eyes peeled vanshmack... this kinda stuff is cool! if i recall you're the guy who got to take a good look at the C6 a while back with a bunch of the engineers?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well it definitely is going to have some styling changes, otherwise why bother with the camouflage. It would be bettr to do milf engineering testing in a car with no camouflage, this way no one would suspect... Just another Malibu. The masking makes it stand out, and people notice.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
anyone else notice the buldge towards front of hood? because of that i suspect this is a mule for test for the SS and buldge is a supercharger, perhaps turbo? one could wish.

·
Super Moderator
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Originally posted by paul8488@Jun 23 2004, 08:38 AM
wow! can't say my tuesday night was that interesting! living in oakville, ontario, you'd think i might see some exciting freestar test mules roaming the streets! alas, no such luck. some guys have all the fun! keep your eyes peeled vanshmack... this kinda stuff is cool! if i recall you're the guy who got to take a good look at the C6 a while back with a bunch of the engineers?
Unfortunately, I was not the lucky soul that got to preview the C6, though that would've been way cool!
I'm going to try to get one more shot of the black caron the way to work. Wish me luck!

·
Super Moderator
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Originally posted by IMPALAon20s@Jun 23 2004, 09:47 AM
anyone else notice the buldge towards front of hood? because of that i suspect this is a mule for test for the SS and buldge is a supercharger, perhaps turbo? one could wish.
That bulge was just the wind building up under the bra. I could see where that could be confused for a hood bulge, though. The car had a single, very pedestrian muffler and tailpipe, so I don'tthink there was anything "special" under the hood.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
and all these "mud fences" seem to be still be #1 in sales. Guess you are in the minority.
what's #1 in sales? the Malibu? as if! the Impala? not quite! what are you smoking?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Those are great pic's but I don't think they are for a major design just minor but the the main item I think they are being tested for on open streets is because what is under the hood and that should be the new DOD 3.9 240hp V6. These cars could also have minor upgrades for another division like pontiac, these cars are not beta cars because we would never see those but this car in the pic is a mild mule for engine testing, as you know car makers do like to fool pic takers into taking there attention from something else.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
I am guessing that he is reffering to the fact that Chevrolet has been the best selling car line in the United States for the 2004 calander year...and that GM has been the best selling auto manufacturer in the US and the World for ages upon ages.

My guess is that this vehicle has some of the bumper upgrades that Chevrolet announced that it was going to add to the Malibu, I cant see this car as an SS, the wheels look just like the ones on the base 4 cylinder Malibu, and I am guessing that if they were going to road test a Malibu SS, they would do it with the 17" wheels that an SS model would have, that way you would be able to get the best idea of a production versions ride and handling charachteristics.

The "L" in the window can meen anything, there could be a series of prototypes that are being tested, maybe from A to L, etc? I dont think that this a Saturn L series replacement, that car is about 12 months away from an introduction, so testing the mechanicals under a Malibu body was something that was done a while ago, the L series replacement is farther along than that, is the Malibu and "L" body? Has anyone looked at the VIN? Thats was the L could stand for.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Nice job!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488+Jun 23 2004, 10:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (paul8488 @ Jun 23 2004, 10:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-silverado_13@Jun 23 2004, 01:48 PM
I think it's the new L-series.  That would explain the "L".  Makes more sense then a new malibu.
did anyone check to see if there's an R on the other side of the car?

:blink: [/b][/quote]
lol :lol:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by vanshmack+Jun 23 2004, 10:06 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vanshmack @ Jun 23 2004, 10:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-IMPALAon20s@Jun 23 2004, 09:47 AM
anyone else notice the buldge towards front of hood?  because of that i suspect this is a mule for test for the SS and buldge is a supercharger, perhaps turbo?  one could wish.
That bulge was just the wind building up under the bra. I could see where that could be confused for a hood bulge, though. The car had a single, very pedestrian muffler and tailpipe, so I don'tthink there was anything "special" under the hood. [/b][/quote]
i looked for the mufflers.. couldnt see them in pics.. maybe i missed it.. but i tried to look again.. but from aol i got "Sorry, We Can't Display That Page
This member has exceeded their bandwith for the day. Please check back after 4 am EST to access this page "... looks like we broke the bank at aol.com

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Yeah, can't see the pics...is there another site they can be posted to?

Or better yet, can you post them directly on this site?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
DUDE, send them to me, I will host them for you, your site killed your bandwidth.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts