GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing the term "cat back" used when discussing exhaust systems. Does it have something to do with the catalytic converter? I assume from the discussions that such a system is an improvement.

I was going to e-mail Borla or Flowmaster but I figured that the response will be quicker here and equally informative.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Apr 14 2004, 03:47 PM
I have been hearing the term "cat back" used when discussing exhaust systems. Does it have something to do with the catalytic converter? I assume from the discussions that such a system is an improvement.

I was going to e-mail Borla or Flowmaster but I figured that the response will be quicker here and equally informative.
I believe thats basically the catalytic converter, muffler and tail pipe...

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Apr 14 2004, 02:47 PM

I assume that there were some old hot rod exhaust systems that ran straight from the headers back with side pipes and all. No cats, no mufflers!

Then you have the pocket rockets with the fart pipe mufflers and no other modifications up the pipe.

Cat back exhausts fall in the middle with the exhaust system running from the "cat back".

But I'm no expert. In any car craft or chevy performance type mag you can see photos in advertisements of what a "cat back" exhaust includes exactly.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I was releasing this thread, another car enthusiast was also explaining the term. Its the system from the catalytic back. Which explains a lot since the emissions test must be passed so why alter that.
Then, there are systems that can be purchased from the headers back.

Initially, I thought that there was some design internal to the muffler that was termed "cat back".

Thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The way I understand it, Cat-back refers to replacing the catalytic converter and everything on the way back. It can either split into one or two pipes after the cat. 74-82 vettes have cat back (two pipes out of engine into one cat, two pipes out of cat for dual exhaust look.)

·
Registered
396 Posts
a "cat-back exhaust system" includes everything from the catylitic converter to the tailpipe, or the exhuast pipe after the catylitic converter to the tailpipe depending on who you're talking to [the terms are pretty much used interchangeably]. and like someone said previously, if you're not running a cat [pre-emmissions cars a la '74 and earlier for most states/provinces] than you don't have a "cat-back exhaust system" since you don't have a cat. BTW, in case you were also wondering, straight pipes mean you have no mufflers and cut-outs are a device, either electric or mechanical, that routes the exhuast gases from going through the muffler, but instead unrestricted through an unobtrusive straight/side pipe

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
why do you ask? want to get one? for what car?
I have a flowmaster (wich I don't recommend, btw, but it depends on what are your expectations...)

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before doing anything, I'd like to bone up on the subject.
My 2004 Monte could use a more throaty exhaust so I was contemplating the change of the OEM's. But before this happened, I want to find out if other advantages are realized (less striction leading to more ponies).
I hear the names Borla and Flowmaster, etc... but would opt for an exhaust note more in keeping with American muscle cars rather than what I hear coming out of the tuner vehicles (they're okay-just not my taste). No fart pipes.

So, what disappointed you regarding the Flowmasters?

·
Registered
756 Posts
The catalytic converter is not included in a cat-back system. I have the so-called Cat-Back Borla exhaust system on my 2000 Monte Carlo. It is a very nice system replacing the restrictive factory exhaust system with stainless steel mandrell bend pipes from the back of the catalytic converter to the rear. The system replaces the resonator, intermediate pipe, Y-pipe assembly, mufflers and tailpipes. The downpipe from exhaust manifold including the catalytic converter is still factory. There are some companies that make the downpipe/high-flow cat for the monte carlo as well (Random Technologies) thus replacing that restrictive U-Bend between the resonator and the downpipe.
u-bend replacement

Some other distributors are:
Intense racing
3800performance
PFYC Monte Carlo
ZZPerformance

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I've installed the american thunder catback on my 89 gta 350 tpi and is both very low and loud. first it was fun, but over the time I got tired somehow. in the garage it sets off alarms at idle, etc.
I have no ideea if for the monte it will be as loud... i would have gotten hooker instead.
also, don't expect much hp only from that (maybe 5hp), most important is the sound and aspect of the aftermarket tips...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts