GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 camaro w/ a 3.4 v6 and have been considering putting on a catback exhaust on it. I am considering the magnaflow catback or the SLP loudmouth (although I'm not sure if this will bolt straight on). Has anyone out there in GMI land used either one of these? I'm looking for the best sound (aka not a ricer sound) for the car. Thanks for the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
I've heard a somehow stock lt1 with headers and the loudmouth... boy it was mean!
if hooker offers one for your car, I would consider it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by johnd89@Apr 23 2004, 02:46 AM
I've heard a somehow stock lt1 with headers and the loudmouth... boy it was mean!
if hooker offers one for your car, I would consider it...
I've heard an LT1 w/the loudmouth and a LS1. I read on another forum that as long as I go with the same year and number of cats (1 for me) the LT1 loud mouth will bolt on. Has anyone ever seen this? and Heard it? ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,963 Posts
The magnaflow and SLP LM should bolt up just fine. SLP just came out with LM cat back for 93-97 4th gens, so you should be good. I sugest Maganaflow as it sounds way better. SLP's LM sounds raspy on a LS1 and LT1, and can get down right horrible if modded. With the 3.4, dont expect a great deal of sound, or compare it do a SBC, LT1, LS1 sound, but the Magnaflow will sound better up top then the LM. If I had a 4th gen, Magnaflow would be my #1 pick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
one more thing: you probably don't need to waste your money on a stainless steel system. get a cheaper, aluminized mandrel bent one

the other reason (besides the obvious one- cheaper) is that you don't want to keep it forever. at some point you will either get tired of it, either sell the car... ask me how I know-hehe-
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by johnd89@Apr 23 2004, 06:11 AM
one more thing: you probably don't need to waste your money on a stainless steel system. get a cheaper, aluminized mandrel bent one

the other reason (besides the obvious one- cheaper) is that you don't want to keep it forever. at some point you will either get tired of it, either sell the car... ask me how I know-hehe-
If I had to do it again, I would go stainless, but Im gunna keep my car for a long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts
Actually, I think only Dynomax and Borla make a system for the V6 cars. I know that a Flowmaster (muffler only) is a popular substitute. You might want to try www.camaroV6.com or www.firebirdV6.com (I forget which one).

Others prefer the stock Z28 catback too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by demonspeed@Apr 23 2004, 12:25 PM
Actually, I think only Dynomax and Borla make a system for the V6 cars. I know that a Flowmaster (muffler only) is a popular substitute. You might want to try www.camaroV6.com or www.firebirdV6.com (I forget which one).

Others prefer the stock Z28 catback too.
thanks. I've already been to both sites many times in the last 2 weeks. A little help, but not much.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,963 Posts
I wouldnt waste my money on borla. What are you getting out of it? Plates? For the 600 or so they charge for the exhaust, you could get several other stainless set ups and be well under 600, and sound better. And flowmaster is alright.... but I wouldnt get it. It doesnt really master any type of flow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Apr 23 2004, 01:07 PM
I wouldnt waste my money on borla. What are you getting out of it? Plates? For the 600 or so they charge for the exhaust, you could get several other stainless set ups and be well under 600, and sound better. And flowmaster is alright.... but I wouldnt get it. It doesnt really master any type of flow.
That's just what is popular with the V6 croud both from that v6 site and on camaroz28.com

Either way, it's not like it's going to be worth much on that 3.4 anyway. But if that's the car you're stuck with, good luck with what you have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
the flowmaster muffler is in fact a "sound chamber". it dosen't really help gas flowing, just sounds right.
in the end, when you buy a cat back only for a stock car you're after 3 things in the order of importance:
- best sound for you;
- neat looking exhaust tips;
- lowest price possible...
given how pathetic sounds even a v8 f-bod, for sure you will be happy with any louder catback

like noted before a good ideea is just to swap the muffler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by demonspeed+Apr 23 2004, 07:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (demonspeed @ Apr 23 2004, 07:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28@Apr 23 2004, 01:07 PM
I wouldnt waste my money on borla.  What are you getting out of it?  Plates?  For the 600 or so they charge for the exhaust, you could get several other stainless set ups and be well under 600, and sound better.  And flowmaster is alright.... but I wouldnt get it.  It doesnt really master any type of flow.
That's just what is popular with the V6 croud both from that v6 site and on camaroz28.com

Either way, it's not like it's going to be worth much on that 3.4 anyway. But if that's the car you're stuck with, good luck with what you have. [/b][/quote]
3.4 is fine for me. I don't go racing, not much of a point in having a V8. It is also a 94 with only 29,000 original miles. I won't be getting rid of it any time soon. I am after a better look and a better sound. Thanks for the input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Pacecarpro@Apr 29 2004, 10:21 PM
GMMG Inc (www.gmmginc.net) makes a chamber exhaust thats sounds nice on the LT1 and LS1.
That would be great.....if I had an LT1 or LS1 ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
QUOTE (Pacecarpro @ Apr 29 2004, 10:21 PM)
GMMG Inc (www.gmmginc.net) makes a chamber exhaust thats sounds nice on the LT1 and LS1.


That would be great.....if I had an LT1 or LS1

I just said it sounds nice on LT1 or LS1, not that it wouldnt fit. Sorry for adding my own two cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Pacecarpro@Apr 30 2004, 08:28 PM
QUOTE (Pacecarpro @ Apr 29 2004, 10:21 PM)
GMMG Inc (www.gmmginc.net) makes a chamber exhaust thats sounds nice on the LT1 and LS1.


That would be great.....if I had an LT1 or LS1

I just said it sounds nice on LT1 or LS1, not that it wouldnt fit. Sorry for adding my own two cents.
Sorry to offend you, that was not my intent :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
For years JC Whitney has sold glasspack mufflers in various lengths and core sizes. Do a search and find the longest with a core that is same or slightly larger as your pipes, the longer the muffler the more high frequencys are reduced, the better the sound. The longest one that will fit, or even 2 mufflers is the cheapest way to go. The sound is excellent, and retro is in these days, they are light, and last a long time. You will be different than your friends.

Rod
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top