GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So I got the G8 review done as fast as I could considering the NYIAS was last week. Overall I was impressed but there are some things that bothered me here and there. Still, when you think of the price and how much less it is than the 300C (before discounts) it's pretty impressive.

There's a video too. I may look silly in it but it was like 20 degrees out with the wind.
http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?section=reviews&makeid=40&modelid=8816&year=2008

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,686 Posts
I read a review somewhere else from a guy who owned a '97 BMW 540i previously and said the G8 reminded him of that. A '97 540i had an MSRP of $52350.

This thing is an unbelievable bargain. I wonder if it might attact some who think the current Dame Edna 5-Series is ugly and overpriced.

5,934 Posts
So from all that I've read, this is a BMW at a Miller-Lite price.

And it's looks are muscular, and differnet enough, to make it stand out at stoplights and the parking garage of a 5 Star Hotel.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Definitely not a bad review of the G8. I'd still love to have one of these cars, preferably in GT form. I get 95% of the BMW 550i's abilities at half the price. It's definitely a bargain, and a true budget beemer

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
I read a review somewhere else from a guy who owned a '97 BMW 540i previously and said the G8 reminded him of that. A '97 540i had an MSRP of $52350.

This thing is an unbelievable bargain. I wonder if it might attact some who think the current Dame Edna 5-Series is ugly and overpriced.
The review you're referring to is this one:
http://www.autosavant.net/2008/03/2008-pontiac-g8-review.html
;)

I saw my first G8 GT "in the wild" today at the local Pontiac dealer. I sat in one at Detroit but can't wait to get some seat time. It's a heck of a looker in person. I couldn't look away from it.

·
Registered
11,686 Posts
The review you're referring to is this one:
http://www.autosavant.net/2008/03/2008-pontiac-g8-review.html
;)

I saw my first G8 GT "in the wild" today at the local Pontiac dealer. I sat in one at Detroit but can't wait to get some seat time. It's a heck of a looker in person. I couldn't look away from it.
That's it! I liked this line from that review:

"Now, obviously, that’s not as good as the current 5-Series, but jeez-louise, look at the MSRP on this thing, guys!"

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Don't blame the messenger:
I don't necessarily think that is a downside at all. Sure it would be nice to have a manual transmission option, but a good automatic is not bad, especially when you drive in a lot of stop and go traffic.

Overall I think it was a good review.

I can't believe how much car you get for $30k!:cool:

·
Registered
632 Posts
I think that is a pretty nice review too. I actually stopped at my local Pontiac dealer to look the G8 over. They had 2 on the showroom floor and both are sold. They are both GT models. I definitely can't wait til I can actually buy one. I'm waiting and hoping a 2 door version will come out in a couple of years though. Overall, I love it. The interior plastics is different like the reviewer said. To me, it's not real impressive, but I will definitely agree that it's better than my 2000 Grand Prix. This is going to be an awesome car and I'm glad GM is bringing it out, in spite of the rising cost of gas. I will still make an effort to buy one.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Front
Functional hood vents are the centerpiece of the G8's design. You simply can't miss them.
Cars.com photos by Ian Merritt

"Functional hood vents"?
The underhood picture shows no air intake system on top of the engine.

Cars.com photos by Ian Merritt

·
Registered
11,686 Posts
I guess they're functional from an appearance standpoint...

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
If they allow air into the engine compartment then they have function, if the gap is closed by black plastic etc then they aren't functional. Functional does not always = ram air.

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
...but for their money drivers will get one of the best-handling large sedans on the road. Chrysler received kudos for its powerful 300C and Dodge Charger sedans, but those cars were strictly straight-point performers. The G8 carves corners while also doing that straight-point thing pretty well. All in all, this is the best-performing sedan in the segment.
Therein lies the appeal of some recent GM vehicles. It's not just the looks or powertrains appreciated separately, it's how the whole thing is packaged and performs overall. Refreshing that GM has returned to giving its vehicles this kind of attention again. I think they will be better off for it, too.

...but the one everyone is interested in is the 361-hp V-8 that rumbled beneath the nostrilled hood of the GT version I tested. The cost to move up to the V-8 is just $2,400, moving the MSRP from $27,595 to $29,995 — a relative bargain.
As others have pointed out, an exceptional bargain, again, particularly in light of how many things are done correctly with this car.

Surprisingly, Pontiac dialed down the rumble of this powerful engine; when you turn the ignition it kicks on like any other family sedan. This is in stark contrast to the last Australian V-8 import, the Pontiac GTO, which shook so violently at idle you thought something must be wrong with it.
I know I am in the minority here when I say that I liked the GTO. Sure, the styling was a bit dated, but overall the car was great (particularly the later, more powerful version). There's this guy who drives his GTO by my office from time to time. I love the rumble of this guy's car's engine. I can hear it coming down the street, and if I'm free, I still like to watch him drive his car by. It's something to behold, particularly when he turns the corner next to my building and jets down the road (his exhausts face my building at that point).

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I read somewhere else that hood scoops are not functional. This review says they are. Anyone know the real deal? I know they don't force air into the engine, but do they let air in the engine compartment?

Mark

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.